Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

zx-7 & K1000 Question

Good afternoon from Iowa. Name is Dave Maley. I'm a new member but have been reading here just to learn. Here's the situation.
I've been taking several photography courses including some darkroom work. Found a 30-year old k1000 that's been sitting on a dealer's shelf because of a light leak, otherwise new. Fixed the light leak and have been using it for class assignments. It really needs to be relubed, retimed, and the light meter calibrated to use silver oxide cells but I really didn't want to put more money in it. Found a good deal on a reconditioned zx-7 body and ordered it. It appears this will be the last film camera that will use any k-mount lens. It arrived with poor packing and ratteled around enough so that the shutter won't work. Now my questions:
1. Anyone know of a complete system reset for the zx-7 to see if that will start the shutter sequence before I ship it back?
2. Is there another new camera body that will use any k-mount lens?
3. or should I forget about the newer, plastic body, cameras, get the k1000 tank gone over and just use it?
I've been told that with a k1000, nobody will ever "oooo" or "ahhh" over your camera, but anybody that knows cameras within a half a mile will know what you are using.
BTW...I was given a 100' roll of outdated Fuji slide film, a Watson loader and am learning how to use it. It's beginning to spoil me.
Thanks in advance.
Dave...

01-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good afternoon back at you -- also from Iowa.

If your zx-7 arrived not working, it probably doesn't matter whether packing played a role. Either way, it sounds the seller hasn't done right by you, and your good deal wasn't so good. Was this an ebay purchase?
01-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Price/cost wise, refurbishing the K1000 might cost about the same as finding a more modern manual body (ZX-M) on EBay. "AP-T Camera" rebuilt a couple of Spotmatics and a couple of K1000s for me a few years ago; they are not listed as a Pentax service site, but Mike and Vicky are excellent at making old things work again. As a ZX-M owner, I'd actually try the Ebay route for one of these bodies before pouring money into anything but an excellent clean and functional K1000 body.
01-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for comments.
1. I got the dead zx-7 through overstock.com. They had a few factory refurb bodies. It arrived in a Pentax box, with a new manual. They have sent me a UPS shipping label and a promise of a refund. They don't have any more. Did everything I could think of to get the shutter to cycle. It won't budge, but I do hear a 'click' sound. I carefully checked the mirror mount. It's OK. Shutter curtains look OK. It recognizes my dummy film roll and 50mm lens. Batteries are new.
There were a couple of camera models mentioned. My concern is what lenses I already have. Most are older manual only or will only auto the Iris. They are still good lenses, but in no way current technology. I was trying to find a current camera that will do a 'retro' on the lenses.
I understand about not putting a 'bunch' of money in an old camera. So far, the k1000 has cost me $52 and $14 for a light gasget kit. It came with a new 50mm f.2 smc lens.
Dave.....

01-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MZ-M (ZX-M) will work in Aperture priority or manual with older K (M) lenses. Being the owner of one I wouldn't buy one second hand. The build quality is pretty poor (plastic lens mount, for example) and the decals wear off very easily (e.g. the speeds on the shutter speed dial).

With your background you are probably better off with something older. I don't have experience with the K1000, but they are supposed to be very nicely built - newer ones are plastic if I remember correctly, and older ones all metal. It went through several generations.

Slightly newer classics include the ME-Super and the Super A (Super Program). Both are mainly metal construction, but very small and light. They are better with standard lenses of f1.7 or wider.

Given that you've got the K1000 already it might be worth asking around your local camera clubs to see if there is anyone who tinkers with cameras. It will be easier to fix than the newer models, being mainly mechanical. I used to know someone who was a collector and technical enthusiast. He would take your faulty camera and make it work with parts from others, and charge little or nothing for the privilege. If you can find soemone like that it will certainly be cheaper than a "proper" service agent, but it depends how much more important money is than the final result.

Good luck with getting yourself a working camera.

Simon
01-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by dgmaley Quote
Thanks for comments.
There were a couple of camera models mentioned. My concern is what lenses I already have. Most are older manual only or will only auto the Iris. They are still good lenses, but in no way current technology. I was trying to find a current camera that will do a 'retro' on the lenses.
Dave.....
This overview might come in handy. It lists all Pentax SLRs and which lenses fit what camera.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

KEH.com is a reliable source if 2nd hand gear. There you can probably find a working K1000, K2, ME Super or Super program, which would be good choices. I have a ZX-5n, which I like a lot. It will take any lens.

Last edited by Ole; 02-07-2007 at 06:25 PM.
01-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #7

Older Pentax Film Cameras

I use the ZX-5N, ZX-L, and Super Program, all with older and newer Pentax lens; They all work (however the Super Program film advance lever has just become inoperative--I will try to ship it to some firm who will repair that) and the sort of image quality I get depends entirely on me. If I can ever return to the sort of image quality I use to have years ago, I will move quickly to the newest Pentax Digital camera. So far I am still stumbling along with sloppy results. I make a lot of mistakes (I blame some of them on my age, 74). I'd like to have an old ME Super, but haven't found one yet.

01-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FLASH Quote

I use the ZX-5N, ZX-L, and Super Program, all with older and newer Pentax lens; They all work (however the Super Program film advance lever has just become inoperative--I will try to ship it to some firm who will repair that) and the sort of image quality I get depends entirely on me. If I can ever return to the sort of image quality I use to have years ago, I will move quickly to the newest Pentax Digital camera. So far I am still stumbling along with sloppy results. I make a lot of mistakes (I blame some of them on my age, 74). I'd like to have an old ME Super, but haven't found one yet.
Careful with some of the later mechanical advance systems. The advance stem was made of pot metal instead of cast. They're not as strong. The Chineese made cameras are noted for this. Any good repair shop, that still has parts, will know what to do. Suggest that you have them do a minor recondition too, as long as that's all that's wrong.
Dave...
02-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just want to thank everyone for your help. I ended up getting a zx-7 from KEH, and at a good price. I also picked up what looked like just a cheap Tamron 28-80mm F3.5 kit lens very inexpensivily but actually isn't bad. (77D).
This combination is beginning to spoil me. I'm not used to auto everything.
I also sent my k1000 to Pates camera repair in Ft Wayne. I just don't have the heart to shelf it.
The camera came with the date back. Do any of you actually print the date on your photos? I shut it off for now.
Dave.....
02-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
Ole
Administrator

I would print the date on family snapshots of auntie but not on anything serious.