Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2013, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unsung Heros List

It occurred to me that it might be good to start a thread celebrating a few of the people who are incredibly important to our film photography hobby/art/addiction, but who seldom get the credit they deserve. Of course, we Pentaxians owe a special debt of gratitude to Eric Hendrickson for his service expertise, but I would like to broaden the base somewhat to include all of film photography.

Sooo...To start things off, I would like to celebrate...

<fanfare>

Michael Butkus, Jr.

For as long as I have been involved with the Internet, "The Butkus Site" has been a readily available and essential tool for anyone needing user guides and other information for vintage photography gear. Need to know all the essentials about a camera listed on eBay, but about which you have no knowledge? M. Butkus is your friend! It is very likely that he will have a copy (either HTML transcribed from the original or PDF) of the user guide for you to look at. Ditto for light meters and flashes too.

Now, in case you have never used his service, here is the link:

Free camera instruction manuals, camera instructions, free film camera user guide, camera manual, camera instruction manuals,

Common questions easily answered by resources on his site:
  • What lens was sold with "x" camera?
  • What battery for "x" camera
  • What lens mount for "x" camera
  • How to use the features of "x" camera
  • What accessories were available?
  • Camera size/weight and technical specs
  • Price new for a piece of gear (yes, he has vintage catalogs)
  • How to load film for a Kiev 4A (Yes, he has FSU stuff too)

Three cheers for M. Butkus!!!

Oh...and it is also VERY good to slip him a few dollars via PayPal for his service to the photography community. After all, those manuals are usually not free.

Steve

06-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hear hear! That's where my PZ-1p manual came from. Donate a few $'s as well...
06-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Yep +1 for the Butkus site.

My nod goes to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount website, an amazing collection of information with pictures to boot.

Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

Phil.
06-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep +1 for the Butkus site.

My nod goes to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount website, an amazing collection of information with pictures to boot.

Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

Phil.
Indeed! For anyone who has ever tried to decipher the maze of Pentax K-mount variations the "Dimitrov Site" is a godsend. The same is true for figuring out the flash/body compatibility matrix.

I noticed a few weeks ago when I last visited that it has been awhile since the content has been updated. I do hope that Bojidar is in good health and that the inactivity merely means that he is exploring the exotic parts of the earth taking photos.

Steve

06-15-2013, 07:30 PM - 2 Likes   #5

This website, Adam and all the moderators deserve our thanks too.

Peter
06-16-2013, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #6

I have to put Jon Goodman up here for doing the research and sourcing the best materials to put many cameras back into active service. Well done sir and everbody keep supporting the original and best.
Cheers
06-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hoodie Quote
I have to put Jon Goodman up here for doing the research and sourcing the best materials to put many cameras back into active service. Well done sir and everbody keep supporting the original and best.
Cheers
Thanks for remembering Jon and his great camera light seal/foam kits. Those of us who have done business with him know that his kits are top rate and represent very high value. Thanks Jon for being one of the true great people serving the vintage camera community.

Steve
06-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'll also add Karen Nakamura from photoenthnography.com. She put together a great resource for buyers of "classic cameras" and how to start using them again! Sadly, I don't think her related forums are active anymore... at least I can't find them.

06-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax Discuss Mailing List

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I'll also add Karen Nakamura from photoenthnography.com. She put together a great resource for buyers of "classic cameras" and how to start using them again! Sadly, I don't think her related forums are active anymore... at least I can't find them.
This is the only post I've ever seen that knows about her.

I'd add Fred Sherfy - The Pentax Collectors Page and Paul M. Provencher - Die Cast Pro - Pentax Cameras

And essentially any member of the Pentax Discuss Mailing List of 10 to 15 years ago. In many ways these 50 or 100 people, who each seems to have some some major project, kept Pentax alive in the community.
06-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ditto for Karen Nakamura, Fred Sherfy, and Paul Provencher. Along the same general flavor as Karen, I would add Matt Denton of Matt's Classic Camera Collection (Matt's Classic Camera Collection). If you are looking for good general information on an older camera, chances are either Matt or Karen will have an article on it.

Steve
06-17-2013, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 on that, Steve!

Other helpful sites:
Pacific Rim Camera : Home Page
The Frugal Photographer
ZeissIkonRolleiRepair.com
adaptall-2.org
Cult Classics in Third Party Lenses
Home | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
06-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh yes! Adaptal-2.org. Kudos to the original author of this site and kudos again to the people who rescued the content and continue to maintain it.

Steve
06-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Teachers of the trade you won't know, from police darkrooms to bottom-feeding event shooters. Also an uncle who first put a Mamiya in my hands. People you might learn from for a year or an hour. People you don't know. You know. The other guys. (Yes, mostly guys. Old timers by *my* standards.

Also the peeps you never know who made the photos hanging in pubs. Of local stuff of the past. I se that kind of stuff and think, 'I'm supposed to be one of the people that does *that.* And who ever knows about them. Kind of part of the point.

The *truly* unsung.
06-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Has anybody ever heard of Mark Hama? Back in the distant past he was busy helping make Yashica MAT 124G cameras in Japan. At this time of his life he repairs the same cameras as well as vintage Yashica rangefinders.

http://markhama.com/

Steve

(...I hear he also does vintage Leica and Canon rangefinders too...)
06-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Has anybody ever heard of Mark Hama? Back in the distant past he was busy helping make Yashica MAT 124G cameras in Japan. At this time of his life he repairs the same cameras as well as vintage Yashica rangefinders.

http://markhama.com/

Steve

(...I hear he also does vintage Leica and Canon rangefinders too...)
I dunno, but, if anyone's looking for a 124, I might have to part with Calypso here, having a money emergency. (A very nice non-G model that's in great shape but for some conspicuous engraving, I'd need a fair price or it's not worth doing, but I adopted her from the PF family and I think she ought to stay among us. Reluctant even now. I know it's a bit of bad form, but just putting it out there. Situation's kind of deteriorating here and I haven't been getting much done photo wise anyway. )