Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
LX Mirror foam question

Hi!
My "new" film camera, a Pentax LX just arrived. It seems to be in working condition, doesn't suffer from the sticky mirror (yet), but has a different problem - the foam bumpers on the upper side of the mirror chamber are not there! I want to ask you people, if there is any way to replace them myself, and where to get a hold of them? Can I "butcher" them out of any other camera? Or are there any foam "kits" available for the LX? I suppose it is not safe to fire the shutter too many times in this condition...

06-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I found two approach on the web that supposely should work for this type of problem regardless the brand of the camera:
Replace the light seals of your good old film camera
How to replace light seals without using foam strips, movie camera style
But I don't think it is a procedure to be taken lightly, and i don't even think it's easy.
So at your risk.
06-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, alexfoto!
I see it is an "at your own risk" procedure... More so on the LX, because the original bumpers are hidden behind a metal plate:-/ They are also not made from single piece of foam, so it willl be more complicated... Anybody knew if there is something like a proper "foam repair kit"?
06-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ebay seller kameradoktor has LX foam seal kits. He is located in Germany. I imagine Jon Goodman in Texas also sells LX kits (he has most brands and models), but he only sells through email contact, not eBay. Both seem to have good quality. Jon's instructions are very clear and easy to follow - a Google search should show his email. (Most forums don't allow posting email addresses.)

06-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
So, I gave it to one local serviceman who claims to repair LXs before... He will check it for other defects as well, so let's see!

Edit: The camera repairer replaced the bumpers and cleaned the camera. So only thing left to do is to make some test pics to see if it works allright!

Last edited by Bukaj; 07-20-2013 at 06:53 AM.