Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #1

Pentax & co film slr

Hello,

As an Pentax kr (digital) /pentax super a (super program) user, i've stumbled across a pentax me super and a chinon ce-5 (similar to the ce-4s) on a sell out last weekend. Both camera's needed some work to get going, but the chinon is already in a working order. The Me is another story... finally got the mirror lock-up/shutter curtain back working, but need to get it together again.

I've tested the chinon today, and i'm impressed with the features it has. Shutter speed max 2000/ Very visible led indication (as on me super)/Iso settings 3200/exposure lock/DOF preview/ You can see the aperture in the viewfinder/a simple dial button to get it on/off/on speed... all very neat features indeed...

The only thing that bothers me is the cheap plastic feel & chunky noise of the camera. I love the feel of my super a but the display is difficult to read in dim light. I hope that after the open hart surgery it will be alive and kicking, but will miss the 3200 iso speed/compensation.

So here is my question, are there other camera's you guy's can recommend me to look into? Pentax or other brands?
I like the metal sturdy 70/80 build and i'm not wanting to much automatization, but most of the time i shoot in aperture priority combined with the exposure compensation button.

Regards,

Adam

06-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, if you can swing it, the Pentax LX.... Ain't cheap, though, and repairs ain't cheap either.
06-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crabe919 Quote
So here is my question, are there other camera's you guy's can recommend me to look into? Pentax or other brands?
I like the metal sturdy 70/80 build and i'm not wanting to much automatization, but most of the time i shoot in aperture priority combined with the exposure compensation button
A K2 or K2DMD have these features.

Phil.
06-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You just missed out on a killer deal on a Ricoh XR7. Nick Siebers had one on the Marketplace for almost nothing and finally let it go to a worthy charity for the price of shipping.

Steve

(...is trying to figure out what he is going to do with a SECOND XR7...)

06-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the reply's

Lx is a dream camera but doesn't fit the bill for the moment! Will keep the dream for a while! :-)

@phil: will look into them, but think they are a lot bigger than the me/super a. I love small slr style camera's

@Steve: thanks for the tip on the ricoh, is the xr7 better than an XR1/kr5?

Am i correct if i say that i can't use my pentax lenses onto a ricoh in aperture mode (due to the p mode on a ricoh?)

ps does ricoh feel more sturdy than a chinon? metal or plastics?

adam
06-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter

@Steve: thanks for the tip on the ricoh, is the xr7 better than an XR1/kr5?

Am i correct if i say that i can't use my pentax lenses onto a ricoh in aperture mode (due to the p mode on a ricoh?)

ps does ricoh feel more sturdy than a chinon? metal or plastics?
Better than the XR-1? Different is a better word. The XR-1 is an earlier camera that was equivalent to and pretty much a clone of the Pentax KX except for having a vertical run metal shutter. The XR7 was direct competition to the Pentax ME Super, but has a more extensive (and I think, better) feature set. As for the KR-5...a very limited camera. Google is our friend as is the Butkus camera manual site (LINK)

Ricoh K-mount SLRs will accept and work with any K-mount lens that has an aperture ring withing the limits of the body and what the lens supports. Translation:
  • Ricoh bodies with aperture-priority auto: Full compatibility for that feature
  • Ricoh bodies with shutter-priority auto and program: Require Ricoh pin for those features to work
  • Ricoh bodies with metered manual: Full compatibility

The XR7 and XR-1 both have polycarbonate top/bottom covers over metal chassis. This is typical for cameras of the day and probably similar to the Chinon. As for feeling more "sturdy"...I have the XR-2s (very similar body to the XR-1) and XR7. The XR-2s feels studier in the hand, but my experience with the XR7 is that it is plenty tough. Both feel the same or better in the hand as compared to the Super Program or ME Super. Not very helpful? Sorry, but so much of this is subjective. The general rule of thumb is that if a 30+ year-old camera functions, that is general proof of "sturdiness" and that you can generally expect that it will continue to function until it breaks.

One thing you can be sure of is that almost all vintage film SLRs will require replacement of the light seals and mirror bumper foam. A shop will charge at least $50 USD for the chore or you can do it yourself using a $10 USD kit from Jon Goodman.

Oh...just for comparison, here are a couple of photos that might help for comparison:

Steve

P.S. In reference to clunky sound. A pronounced shutter note is typical for many cameras of that vintage having vertical metal shutters. The all-mechanical and electronically-controlled Copal shutters are famous for that and are found in many cameras of the day including Ricoh and Nikon.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-19-2013 at 08:01 AM.
06-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
Steve,

Thanks for taking the time for your comprehensive reply!
Glad to know that ricoh will work in aperture priority, other modes (exept full manual) i don't use.

The similarity between the xr-2 and the kx is striking.
My chinon ce-5 looks about like your xr-7, except for the front lay out.

adam

Ps just developed the first rol out of the chinon (after i've replaced the light seals/mirror foam and unstuck the frame counter) and all looks good!
06-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

My chinon ce-5 looks about like your xr-7, except for the front lay out.
The appearance is similar, though the XR7 is a little smaller and little lighter. There is some speculation that the Ricoh and Chinon cameras might share some DNA, though I doubt that it goes as far as one assertion that all Ricoh, Chinon, and Cosina K-mount cameras were made by Cosina. It is more likely that designs and maybe even tooling were purchased or licensed such that these cameras are close cousins. Possibly the best evidence might be that the Ricoh cameras typically predate the other similar products by a couple of years.

Steve

06-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like the metal sturdy 70/80 build and i'm not wanting to much automatization, but most of the time i shoot in aperture priority combined with the exposure compensation button.

Regards,

Adam
You can look at other brands but you won't find better in terms of build quality and the LX has an unequaled metering range of EV -6.5 to EV +20 that no other camera has - past or present. This will allow you to aperture priority autoexpose a scene for as long as it takes to get the right exposure or until batteries die. With batteries dead, it also has the most functionality available within its peer group of interchangeable viewfinder pro bodies. But who doesn't like to explore these beautiful masterpieces . . .

06-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thx for the reply!

Lx is out of reach at the moment! To bad because it's a real beauty!