Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #1

Spotmatic F Open Aperture Metering

I just purchased 55mm 1.8 SMC Takumar lens for my Spotmatic F. I was under the impression that this lens would have the necessary linkage to tell the camera what aperture is set on the lens and thus allow for open aperture metering. It does, and the meter responds as I adjust the aperture. The lens I used prior to this purchase was a Super Takumar 50mm F2. It has all the same linkage. I am confused. Some non-SMC Super Takumars do work for open aperture metering on a Spotmatic F? The meter responds to adjustments with this lens too. Interesting.

06-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SeventyCam Quote
I just purchased 55mm 1.8 SMC Takumar lens for my Spotmatic F. I was under the impression that this lens would have the necessary linkage to tell the camera what aperture is set on the lens and thus allow for open aperture metering. It does, and the meter responds as I adjust the aperture. The lens I used prior to this purchase was a Super Takumar 50mm F2. It has all the same linkage. I am confused. Some non-SMC Super Takumars do work for open aperture metering on a Spotmatic F? The meter responds to adjustments with this lens too. Interesting.
Some late Super Takumar lenses were made with aperture couplings around the time of the changeover to SMC. I think I have one myself somewhere.