Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

My new MX is on the way to me!

Hey all, just impatiently waiting for my MX to get to me in the mail! My first Pentax! To say that I'm excited would be a gross understatement. I have peaked around about key lenses to get for the MX, and the main suggestions are either the 40mm pancake or the 50mm F1.4. Any advice on where to find them (Here vs Ebay vs KEH) for value and quality?

Thanks for your help!

06-18-2013, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! You should seriously consider the Pentax-M 50/1.7 as your normal lens. It is generally less expensive than the f/1.4 and is probably the best value in Pentax K-mount lenses. It is also lighter and more compact than the f/1.4.

Branching out to the wide and tele end of things there are so, so, many choices. There are many fine Pentax and non-Pentax lenses available in K-mount. Your camera will also support the superb Pentax-FA Limiteds. The FA 43/1.9 Limited would be a fine choice for a normal on your MX. $$$, but worth it and fully compatible with Pentax dSLRs.

Steve
06-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the club!
I personally prefer a wider lens (35 to 40mm) as my main lens. Have a look at the K and M lenses in the forum database.
06-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

In addition to an M (or A) 50/1.7, look for an M (or A) 100/2.8 and an A24/2.8 or K28/3.5.

06-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! You should seriously consider the Pentax-M 50/1.7 as your normal lens. It is generally less expensive than the f/1.4 and is probably the best value in Pentax K-mount lenses. It is also lighter and more compact than the f/1.4.

Branching out to the wide and tele end of things there are so, so, many choices. There are many fine Pentax and non-Pentax lenses available in K-mount. Your camera will also support the superb Pentax-FA Limiteds. The FA 43/1.9 Limited would be a fine choice for a normal on your MX. $$$, but worth it and fully compatible with Pentax dSLRs.

Steve
Steve, thanks for the words of wisdom. I think your advice basically confirms that I'm wondering about the right things:
  • Which of the 50s to get.
  • Whether its worth it or not to get the FA 43/1.9 (given the high prices and ever increasing prices on Pentax Glass.
  • Where I should look for the FA 43/1.9 or either of the 50s mentioned. Whether the 43 should be new or not.
Basically I'm stuck on the fact that the lenses seem to be relatively expensive when new (given recent price hikes) or at the whim of someone who has had the lens, may or may not have cared for it well, and generally asking more than the community thinks its worth, and not knowing exactly where to turn or which is the better option. (Or lesser of two evils in this case)
06-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I think for a start, you would be better off with a Pentax-M 50/1.7 like Steve suggested first (it's so cheap and easily resellable too) and see if you like the field of view and rendrering, or if you need something else.
IMHO, the second lens to get would be a wide angle. Which one ? That is up to you. 35's are plentiful and cheap, 28's almost as cheap (is you're OK with 2.8 of course), while 24's are harder to come by at reasonable prices. All are good lenses !
Have fun !

Last edited by victordeamorin; 06-19-2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
06-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Where did you find a new MX . . .

The MX is a very nice camera and that pancake lens is very nice.

06-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

As far as which 50 to get, it can depend on your use but they are all good. Below is a test of all the Pentax 50's that I have using my K20D.

Link to larger view -> http://www.fototime.com/AFA3C6EDB6A663D/orig.jpg

BTW, these are all only limited by by the K20D's because when I tested the 50mm macro with film on my film body it improved a bit more as shown by the scans and more than doubled when actually optically magnifying the film.

Link to larger view -> http://www.fototime.com/A08A371F28ED137/orig.jpg

All these lenses I bought used so perhaps if they are factory new they would be even better!

06-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
So the goal is to hunt down a 50mm lense. Is there a consensus best quality/cheapest/best service place to get the used lenses? Between KEH, Adorama, the forum, Ebay, and B&H's used lens store, does anyone have favorites?
06-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Don't forget the forum's marketplace and your local Craigslist. I think KEH offers the best price with warranty/money back guarantee and have bought lots of stuff from them over the years.
06-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aislepathlight Quote
So the goal is to hunt down a 50mm lense. Is there a consensus best quality/cheapest/best service place to get the used lenses? Between KEH, Adorama, the forum, Ebay, and B&H's used lens store, does anyone have favorites?
Local camera shops?

I have bought lenses from all of the sources you have listed and have generally had good luck. The only bad experiences have been on eBay and here on the Pentax Forums and in those cases, I have always been able to negotiate a solution that was acceptable to both me and the seller. As for favorites...I have gotten the best deals at Adorama and eBay, while KEH has the more consistent quality. Be aware that lenses often are sold without caps or hoods. It is always good to ask and include those accessories in the purchase it needed.

Steve
06-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Forums. Has your MX arrived? And did it come with a lens?

I'd also suggest the M 50 1.7 to start out, as well as the K 28 3.5, and something longer such as the FA 77 1.8 or a 100-135. Also, the FA 43 is worth every penny. I use it for both film and digital.