Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Me super sticky shutter, stay's (a bit) sticky

Hello,

I've posted this same post to the classic camera repair forum, maybe someone here has some other suggestions.
I have a day off tomorrow and i'm eager to get the camera back together after all the work already done.

I've acquired a pentax me super a week ago, that suffered from the dreaded sticky shutter syndrome.
I'm by no means a camera repair man, but i'm quit handy, and it's actually my first camera repair.
I've opened up the camera and took the mirror box out. The shutter curtains move freely, but the mirror was sticking due to some rubber bumpers that went to goo. I've removed all 3 bumpers and cleaned the spots afterwards with some isopropyl alcohol and an earbud.

The shutter/mirror mechanism moved perfectly when the surgery was done, but this morning when i activated the shutter system on the mirrorbox before mounting it all back together, there was again a delay between the activation and the release of the mirror.

Anyone an idea of what i can do to get the mirror moving more freely?

I've lubed the slider and the pivot point where the primary bumper was with some silicone grease, and all seems to move fine without sticking.

Here is a link from on this forum where in found a great part to start the adventure of taking the lost me apart.

The Classic Camera Repair Forum: Pentax Me Super repair project

and here is a direct link to the picture posted in the thread showing the mechanism:

DSC09470.jpg Photo by hand666 | Photobucket

I did remove all 3 bumpers shown in the post because they where all sticky, but din't put any new bumper back, because they are only needed to reduce the noise.

If someone has some other tips, they would be appreciated!

Regards,

Adam

06-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was poking around the Web last week before I took my ME Super into a local shop for repair and learned enough to be dangerous. I decided to pay someone to fix it, but from what I read (and I'm sure you thought of this) maybe you have something bent slightly and it's binding in operation. I gotta believe it wouldn't take much for one or two levers to be out and stop the process.
06-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
Don't think there is something bent, because after "firing" the shutter a couple of times it stays really loose for a couple of hours, after that it seems to hesitate the first couple of times.

The camera was a "bin" camera attached to a lens i've wanted, so not much to loose (although i really want it to get going,eager to take it on a test ride!)
06-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My ME Super is one I bought brand new, so I'm pretty attached to it. The shop is replacing the shutter assay., cleaning/lube and calibrating it with a 1 yr. warranty for less than $150 (w/ tax). With mine the secondary shutter wasn't closing.

06-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #5

Original Poster
orangekx,

in that case i would also prefer to get it repaired instead of the diy route!
06-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
Good news and bad news...

The good:

I've taken the mechanics further apart and found the source of the problem and got it cleaned away. The mechanism runs smooth and without hesitating now.

The bad:

I'didn't check the led/lightmeter before fixing the shutter/mirror problem, so i have put together a perfect mechanical running me super, but the lightmeter is dead...

Aarrgg, stupid!... next time i need to check this before i spend all my time in a lost project.

Well it will look good on the shelf, but after handling one, need to find a working one!
07-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
Resurrected!!!

I've assembled and dismantled the Me 4 times, and got the light meter finally fixed! (got 2 wires switched onto the wrong place! doh!) Whilst i was in there i took out the focus screen for good cleaning.

Today i've shot my first pictures with this very nice machine! I really like the led display, i find it much easier to read than the little screen of the super a.
Hope the pictures do come out alright!

This will be the camera i'll take on holiday this year!

07-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My ME Super is still in the shop. I was told 1-2 weeks and I'm way past that. It'll be a month in a couple of days. Bummer.

If I'm being honest, I'm glad I didn't rip into the camera. I think I could pull it off, but the time it would take me was the big turn off in light of all the other projects I have. I figured I would end up with a cleaner, better operating camera if I had it done. Glad it worked out for you.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 07-07-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added text.
07-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #9

Original Poster
Need to say that it isn't (financially) worth it spending the time i did onto the camera, but i loved tinkering with it. I think i spend about 10 hours to get it "wright".
And i'm sure a pro would have done a better job than i did.
Hope your will show up soon, you'll be delighted with it.
07-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #10

I have a spare ME Super body with the same issue. I thought about disassembling it for fun to try and fix the issue. Do you mind in going a bit more detail on where the source of the problem was?
07-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hello,

For me the main problem was to get the mechanical part of the camera fixed. On the mirrorbox there are 3 rubber bumpers that where turned into goo. The goo sticked to the mechanism and even after removal of the bumpers and trying to clean as good as possible with lighter fluid, the stickyness returned after a day of non use.

Therefore i've pulled the mirrorbox of from the front bayonet and disasembled the whole mechanism on the side of the mirrorbox. This way i was able to remove all the gunk left behind (and beneath) the mechanism.

Here are the most important links i've used to get the job done. Mind you it isn't an easy task to get everything back together.

Most important :

disassembly and assembly guide of the camera, keep notes of the colors of the wires and position, as the can change on different models. Also pay attention when removing the mirrorbox to note the position of the spacers in front and on the top of the mirrorbox, these are needed to get all thing back perfectly aligned.

http://m-krg.zxq.net/pdf/m/mes%20disassembly.pdf

Service manual form pentax:

Pentax Manuals

Here are some good photo's that show where the 3 bumpers are:

-http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/messages/2/22122.html?1313787961%20

And some other links who helped me out quit a bit:

Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings
Mystery Onion Patch: 05: OK, I'm back... just done a little C-41 and we return to the ME Super...

Hope this helps you out!, I'm by no means a pro, but if you want to get the camera open, i would advice you to read everything twice and take your time.
You also will need a good soldering station, due to the fine contacts and small wires inside.

All the best,

Adam
07-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by crabe919 Quote
Hello,

For me the main problem was to get the mechanical part of the camera fixed. On the mirrorbox there are 3 rubber bumpers that where turned into goo. The goo sticked to the mechanism and even after removal of the bumpers and trying to clean as good as possible with lighter fluid, the stickyness returned after a day of non use.

Therefore i've pulled the mirrorbox of from the front bayonet and disasembled the whole mechanism on the side of the mirrorbox. This way i was able to remove all the gunk left behind (and beneath) the mechanism.

Here are the most important links i've used to get the job done. Mind you it isn't an easy task to get everything back together.

Most important :

disassembly and assembly guide of the camera, keep notes of the colors of the wires and position, as the can change on different models. Also pay attention when removing the mirrorbox to note the position of the spacers in front and on the top of the mirrorbox, these are needed to get all thing back perfectly aligned.

http://m-krg.zxq.net/pdf/m/mes%20disassembly.pdf

Service manual form pentax:

Pentax Manuals

Here are some good photo's that show where the 3 bumpers are:

-http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/messages/2/22122.html?1313787961%20

And some other links who helped me out quit a bit:

Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings
Mystery Onion Patch: 05: OK, I'm back... just done a little C-41 and we return to the ME Super...

Hope this helps you out!, I'm by no means a pro, but if you want to get the camera open, i would advice you to read everything twice and take your time.
You also will need a good soldering station, due to the fine contacts and small wires inside.

All the best,

Adam
Awesome! Thanks so much. Your links look super informative. Hopefully I'll get some time one of these days to pry her apart! Thanks again!
07-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If you buy an ME Super (or any camera that age) don't put batteries in and fire the shutter until you have checked and if need be replaced the rubber light seals =) you can get an excellent kit from a fellow called Jon Goodman.
07-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #14

Original Poster
no problem! I just put some links together.
Credits to the guy's who did all the hard work and the research to make the repair possible!