Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #31

Wow, you guys are harsh critics.
Hot patients setting off radiation alarms - Reuters

06-22-2019, 11:38 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the whole "hooooo - radioactive lens" thing sets us off. Possibly because it's a non-issue.

Feel free to send your radioactive lenses to me. I'll "dispose" of them safely.
06-24-2019, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The spotmatic is a very well built camera, they last forever and are comfortable and simple to use. Be not afraid to play with it

On the M42 family only 2 or 3 lenses are radioactive (thorium elements)
The 50/1.4 is the most common, and it turns yellow over time but ony emits 60-65 uSv/H
and I think some of the exotic lenses (dental and UV) wer also radioactive
Radioactive Pentax Takumar lenses.
(The 55/1.8 I have is undetectable)

QuoteOriginally posted by ArticFox Quote
Hello,

I am new to Pentax. I am a fan of durable and small classic Nikons - the FM/FE family, as well as the F2 and F3. As I age, I gravitate more to robust classic cameras.

I have always wanted to explore the Spotmatic family and bought a nice Tak 50. It was beautiful and the focus ring was nice, but I discovered that it was radioactive. After some research, I decided that a radioactive lens is not for me, as I handle cameras and lenses for a considerable time in my hands (I make no claims to health issues from using a radioactive Tak - it was a personal decision only and this post is not intended to solicit a debate).

I still wish to explore the Spotmatics. Do I have options with quality non radioactive M42 Pentax or other M42 brands?
07-06-2019, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #34

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ArticFox Quote
Hello,

I am new to Pentax. I am a fan of durable and small classic Nikons - the FM/FE family, as well as the F2 and F3. As I age, I gravitate more to robust classic cameras.

I have always wanted to explore the Spotmatic family and bought a nice Tak 50. It was beautiful and the focus ring was nice, but I discovered that it was radioactive. After some research, I decided that a radioactive lens is not for me, as I handle cameras and lenses for a considerable time in my hands (I make no claims to health issues from using a radioactive Tak - it was a personal decision only and this post is not intended to solicit a debate).

I still wish to explore the Spotmatics. Do I have options with quality non radioactive M42 Pentax or other M42 brands?
I was scared by radioactive tacumars until I got a hold of a dosemeter. Now I sleep tight. No radiation coming through the front of the lens. Radioactive only the rear element within 1-2 inches. Metal body of a Spotmatic stops radiation. No radiation coming through the side of the lens. You definitely don't want to check infinity focus on radioactive takumar through the back of the camera. You do not want to put radioactive takumar on a plastic digital camera like mirrorless Sony 6000 and then press it against your eye.

So I would say radioactive takumars are pretty safe even for daily use! Which lens you want to sample? I can make a little video for you.

07-07-2019, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cameracravings Quote
I was scared by radioactive tacumars until I got a hold of a dosemeter. Now I sleep tight. No radiation coming through the front of the lens. Radioactive only the rear element within 1-2 inches. Metal body of a Spotmatic stops radiation. No radiation coming through the side of the lens. You definitely don't want to check infinity focus on radioactive takumar through the back of the camera. You do not want to put radioactive takumar on a plastic digital camera like mirrorless Sony 6000 and then press it against your eye.

So I would say radioactive takumars are pretty safe even for daily use! Which lens you want to sample? I can make a little video for you.
ALL these radioactive lenses are safe for the simple reason if they were emitting gamma rays those would impress the film behing the cloth shutter therefore they couldn't be used in photography.