Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What is a Pentax K with 1.8 Zebra worth?

Anybody have a guess what my K is worth? By sound, the shutter seems close to accurate in that exposure times get longer as I switch up the scale, but even if they are it still needs a CLA because the curtain has a pretty good sized wrinkle when the camera is cocked.

Prism housing has a dent as does the base, other than that it is fairly clean. It includes the original Zebra 1.8 in good condition, an original manual (fair) and case which is original but pretty useless because the leather has broke apart at most bend points.

I contacted Eric about doing the CLA, but as I don't intend on keeping it I don't know if I'd lose or gain money by having the CLA before selling it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by kevinh; 07-05-2013 at 05:29 AM.
07-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about the camera body, but the lens itself is pretty cheap. Worth around $30-40.

Film cameras don't seem to fetch very much. Those that want them already have them, and very few new people getting into film.
07-05-2013, 04:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for answering, but I know that is not right. Both the K and the 1.8 are collect's items. One just like mine, but with a CLA and minus the dents went for $450 on ebay.

Asahi Pentax K Con Auto Takumar 55mm F1 8 La Prima Asahi Pentax 1958 M42 Mount | eBay

Another with the non-stock lens went for $299

Pentax K 35mm SLR Camera w Pentax 58mm F 2 Lens RARE | eBay

I know what it is worth clean and working, I am just trying to figure out how much the dents affect the price.
07-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter

It isn't a common model, but collector prices vary widely. It depends on whether you find a collector who wants that model with the problems that it has. Many won't want one with dents, and it needs more than a CLA, as the curtains need replacement. It is not what I look for in a "collectible" - but if you get a couple who do want it, they could bid the price up. If it were me, I'd eBay it with a modest initial bid (enough to make it worthwhile) and accept what happens.

07-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was thinking the same thing about the dents. I restore old cars and it would be like restoring a classic car with a bent frame.

I am considering keeping the camera and selling just the lens. What do you think?

If I am going to get $30 bucks for the camera, I rather put it in the closet and try to score another parts body with a good top cover.
07-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinh Quote
What is a Pentax K with 1.8 Zebra worth?
A little bit more sales history:
One year ago (June, 2012) I purchased a pristine K + mint Zebra lens + exc. leather case, with no CLA history, here at PF Marketplace for $295.
The only things lacking were an original manual and original blue box packaging.
I feel that was a tremendous deal ( I could not pass it up! ).

KEH(?) lists the same dent-less package right now for $495, camera/zebra/case.

I know what it is worth clean and working, I am just trying to figure out how much the dents affect the price.
The pentaprism dent is a problem, and bent base plate too. At least a 50% deduction off the camera body for that(?). Spare parts are not plentiful, though NoS chrome and black K top covers and base plates were listed on eBay this week, $45 & $19.50 respectively AIRC. All sold now as of this morning.

Maybe you should consider your camera a 'parts camera' and look for one in better condition to pair up with your Zebra lens, before trying to sell the combo.

[edit 7/18/2013]
I have now seen the photos of this camera and lens in the eBay ad, and it is a fine looking set. The two 'dents' are very very minor. I removed a similiar dent from a Pentax base plate in just a few minutes by removing the cover, then placing the base plate on a folded paper towle, and gently tapped the dent out from the inside.

I imagine the top cover dent can be corrected in a similar manner. i.e., I see no need to replace the top cover.

I am considering keeping the camera and selling just the lens. What do you think?
That lens is unique to that camera, do not separate them, IMHO. Separating them will de-value both.

Last edited by Moe49; 07-18-2013 at 08:11 AM.
07-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Film cameras don't seem to fetch very much. Those that want them already have them, and very few new people getting into film.
Spoken with a perspective completely opposite of mine . . .
07-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I got $325 for a G+ Condition K (tripod ring mark on bottom plate) with near spotless Zebra 55/1.8 and Takumar Lens Cap that had stiff lube about 6 months ago (before the recent price run-up). Needed a CLA but was completely functional. CLA on a camera that old is probably $100 even from Eric - parts are hard.

I might have been somewhat low but at the time I was happy with the price.

07-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Kevin,
It appears that you already have a good idea of the collector's value for your camera and lense. Subtract a significant amount for the dings and you will have a starting price. Value (worth) is determined by whether it sells for what you ask. May I remind you that it is in bad form (and against forum rules) to market, promote, and/or sell your gear in places other than the marketplace?

Steve

(...tacked on that last sentence since it is a common practice for vendors to set up a new account on this site followed by inquiries into the value of gear they wish to sell...not that you would do that, however )
07-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Kevin,
May I remind you that it is in bad form (and against forum rules) to market, promote, and/or sell your gear in places other than the marketplace?

Steve

(...tacked on that last sentence since it is a common practice for vendors to set up a new account on this site followed by inquiries into the value of gear they wish to sell...not that you would do that, however )
Or?

RARE Asahi Pentax K "King" with Correct 55mm 1 8 Zebra Takumar Lens | eBay