Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ME Super Light Leak Insights

Hey everyone, I was hoping some of you had some insight on fixing some light leaks on an ME Super. My girlfriends camera has some leaks around the sprocket holes, that seem to appear to be around the take-up spool. We've been shooting FP4+ lately, and they were never bad enough to bleed into the frame, but after a roll of Tri-X several frames were lost. I have not been able to track down where the leak is with a flashlight or anything-- Do these ever leak through the felt behind the door or is this likely leaking through the door channels? Here's a couple pictures from my contact sheets (sorry about the low quality-- the only digital camera in my house right now is my phone)

You can see on the first one that it seems to be bleeding through the sprocket holes onto film below it, hence my feeling of it being around the take-up spool. Does anyone have any recommendations for fixing this? The mirror bumper is in great shape, so I'd rather not order a kit unless I have to... Plus the kit doesn't include the felt rectangle for the door. I'd love to get this fixed this week, as we're headed up to Zion and have some slide film we've been itching to shoot..... expensive film that we don't want to waste!

Thanks in advance for any help-- my film scanner is on the way; I'll try to get cleaner images of the offending frames when it's here, as well as post some of my work on here!

Davis

Attached Images

07-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is hard to see what is going on here from the photo. A shot of the full contact sheet would be more helpful.

Three things come to mind:
  • Light leak at on long edge door seals
  • Light leak on hinge seal
  • Leak at the film opening or cap juncture on the canister
Of these three, the last is the most likely if you are bulk loading reusable canisters. The hinge seal is the least likely cause. What I would suggest is that you use the camera's half case if you have it, use opaque film containers, and load/unload the camera in subdued light. If you don't have the half case, run a length of electrical tape over the film door seams and clean up the residue later with alcohol.

BTW...in regards to the seal kit lacking the felt hinge seal. This seal is usually in pretty good shape on most cameras, although Jon Goodman generally includes it in his kits.

Steve
07-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. I've definitely ruled out a film issue... looking back through negatives it's there on slower film, just not as pronounced. Any links to the kit with the felt piece? I guess I'll just tape it up this week (never thought of that, haha) and do it the right way later.
07-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I will PM you Jon Goodman's e-mail address. He used to be on eBay, but stays quite busy enough with direct referral via e-mail. His kits are the best and very reasonably priced (about $10 USD including postage).

Steve

07-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Awesome. Thanks Steve!
07-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I developed some film today from my P30t It shows signs of a small light leak. It appears that I may need to replace my seals. Would you mind PMing me with John's E-mail also
07-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Steve

07-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kit is on the way!! I'll try to take some step by step pictures of the process for everyone to see (if someone hasn't already)
07-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Look forward to seeing that as my ME needs doing when I have the time.
07-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's quite easy and quick to do using Jon Goodman's kit. He provides very good instructions (providing you follow them) and even a bamboo scraper thing. I re-did an ME Super and it took a whole of an hour and a bit.
07-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My seals are on their way as welll
07-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Seals are here, though, the Zion trip this weekend resulted in the death of her camera... The rear group of her beat up 28mm fell out of the barrel, scraped up the prism, and broke the mirror.

I guess we'll be hunting for another ME Super AND 28mm M, and keeping the broken ones as spare parts for my own and her new one.

My camera is about due for seals, though, so I'll be using the kit on that, but probably not for a month or so