Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Bit OT, b&w film for night exposures

I've finally managed to source a set of 6x6 and 6x7 condensers for my enlarger which means I'll be able to dust off my Yashica 24 and shoot some MF stuff again. I'm off to the lovely medieval city of Bruges in Belgium again in a couple of weeks and there is some very nice night shooting to be had there.

So what b&w 120 film should I take for long night exposures? I seem to recall that Acros has good reciprocity characteristics, is this true? What about Tmax 400? I use it a lot for normal exposures, is it any good for long exposures?

07-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Acros is the film of choice of many long exposure film photographers. Reciprocity failure does not fact in as early as almost every other emulsion. It is my main 120 film for general use as well. However if TMax400 is what you usually use it might be best to stay with it for this trip. There are several web sites dedicated to long exposure/night photography and they may give you TMAX reciprocity failure numbers
07-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a long exposure photography workshop held here in Vancouver by Marc Koegel.

http://www.vancouverphotoworkshops.com/workshops/long-exposure-workshop-2012.php

Marc Koegel Photography

He recommends Fuji Across & Ilford XP2.

Phil.
07-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Acros is the film of choice of many long exposure film photographers. Reciprocity failure does not fact in as early as almost every other emulsion. It is my main 120 film for general use as well. However if TMax400 is what you usually use it might be best to stay with it for this trip. There are several web sites dedicated to long exposure/night photography and they may give you TMAX reciprocity failure numbers
Thanks, I'll get some Acros in. I have used it in 35mm (mainly for portraits) and I quite like it in Rodinal. Hopefully it will be suited to the night architecture shots I plan.

07-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
There is a long exposure photography workshop held here in Vancouver by Marc Koegel.

Fine-Art Long Exposure Workshop - with Marc Koegel

Marc Koegel Photography

He recommends Fuji Across & Ilford XP2.

Phil.
Looks great Phil but its about five thousand miles too far for me
07-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Looks great Phil but its about five thousand miles too far for me
He sometimes holds those workshops in Calgary so that saves you 500 miles
07-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Acros is hard to come by these days...
I would think the Tmaxes or Deltas would work as well.

07-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Just look at the film's data sheet to find the film's reciprocity characteristics. For Acros, a 1/2 stop of additional exposure is recommended for shots longer than 120 seconds. That should be easy to remember. And with the film's latitude, you could kind of ignore it and still get good results.

And for T-Max 400 you will see that up to 10 seconds you really don't need any adjustment. And by 120 seconds you should add a stop or so of additional exposure.
07-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Acros is hard to come by these days...
I would think the Tmaxes or Deltas would work as well.
Acros is well known for maintaining reciprocity on long exposures. TMax and Delta are not comparable in that regard. As for availability...Acros is readily available here in the U.S. In Europe, macodirect.de has it for 5.59 EUR or 4.88 EUR for 10.

Steve