Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My Pentax K1000 experience.

My Pentax K1000 experience.
For those of you who do not know, this is a 100% fully manual Camera? I will tell you that this has been both frustrating, exciting and extremely enjoyable? First, I had my daughter put the film in?Easy right? Well, the next day I went out to shoot a roll of film as I was anxious to see my results. I figured it would take me all about an hour to do?Well, strangely, I found my self being extremely picky about what I was going to shoot?I mean, I sat there and really thought about my composition. After 4 days, I finally shot the roll?I took off to CVS with great anticipation on seeing what I had?.Left the roll and for the one hour service and took off?Well shortly afterward, I went back to pick up my photos and the girl at the counter tells me???You brought me a blank roll?? I said oh..OK, Well it turns out that my daughter did not install the roll right, so NADA?I was bummed???sigh?? None the less, a friend of mine who shoots Canon (??yuk??) loaded it up for me and this time everytime I went to advance the film, I noticed the dial on the left turned also?Yea, it works?Well, Again it took me another 4 days to shoot the roll and this time, when I went to rewind the film, I heard something ??snap??? I opened up the cover and the film broke???AAARRRRGGGG?? Did not know that the little button on the bottom releases the film???sigh???OK Third time has to be the charm right? Well, another roll went in and this time I was going to shoot sunsets and get it done in a day?(By the way, shooting film can get expensive) All the while this was going on, I went on an EEEKKKBAY buying spree with Manual focus prime lenses? I have bought an 28mm F/2.0, 50mm F/2.0, 90mm F/2.8, and a few more on the way?.By the way, they are so inexpensive?The most I have spent for a lens was 40 bucks and the lens is like new?Anyway, I finally got some photos???YEA?? and while not perfect, I am more than happy with what I have?

The first is my son Daniel The next two are sunsets. Surprisingly, I actually got the exposer almost right? What are your thoughts on this nearly 40 year old camera..By the way, NO PP done..They are as they came out.

The next two I took at roughly the same times, but with a DSLR...Interesting difference....

Last edited by jgredline; 03-23-2008 at 08:26 PM.
03-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

you post made me laugh... growing up with film cameras, it's hard to fathom your beginner 'mistakes' but it's like anything, you need to learn how to use it. I remember getting my first Mamiya 645 (ebay purchase.. no instructions) and running a roll through it. Developed it and got no pics... Immediate thoughts of the cameras a dud. Jumped onto a photo chat site and had an answer in minutes... I loaded the film in upside down!
03-20-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Was curious as to the film you used and how you got the negatives scanned (by the developer I assume)

When I got my first SLR I'd come from 126 instamatic cameras and loading the first couple of rolls of 35mm was frustrating (and I had the benefit of instructions)

I also have a K1000 and use it reasonably often.

cheers

Greg
03-20-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Those pics are making me think about trying the same exercise. The amount of DR seems quite astonishing. Although I don't have a daughter, I'm sure my 8 year-old son could load it for me He's a techno-whiz already!

Thanks for posting, and thanks a lot for the CBA!

- Andrew

03-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

One habit i got my self into in my film days(all 40 odd years.) was after i loaded the film and closed the back, i would take the rewind handle and take up the slack a bit. Then you should see the handle move when you advance a frame. If it does not, you probably did not load it correctly, which happens to every one at some time.

Also don't forget the meter is activated when you take the lens cover off. So if you walk around for days with the cover off, the battery will drain faster, but is readily available. Keep a few spares. I used two batteries a year at best with my K1000's.

Its a great camera.

Dave
03-20-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
Banned

my K1000 never seizes to amaze me.
03-20-2008, 03:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I was reading your post and thinking, "Good Lord! Can't load film??? Didn't know about the release button???" But I quickly realized it isn't your fault you didn't know. Heck, it just shows to what degree digital photography has become the norm.

Once you got it all figured out, though, you did very well with it. I see you quickly noticed there is a difference in what/how you shoot when armed with a film camera.

(Is it just my computer or is your post filled with lots of odd question marks where they don't belong?)
03-20-2008, 04:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
One habit i got my self into in my film days(all 40 odd years.) was after i loaded the film and closed the back, i would take the rewind handle and take up the slack a bit. Then you should see the handle move when you advance a frame. If it does not, you probably did not load it correctly, which happens to every one at some time.
That's what I used to do, too. I used to advance my film with the camera back open until I could see that both sets of sprocket holes were engaged. Then I'd close the back, advance the film until my counter showed I was ready for the first shot, then very carefully take up the slack with the rewind handle. I say "do it carefully" because there had been a few times when the film still might not have loaded right and if you're not careful, you'll just rewind it back into the cartridge, at which point you're semi-screwed. There are gadgets that'll help you fish the end of the roll back out, but I never needed one regularly enough to actually go out and buy one.

03-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

When all else fails...read the instructions.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/K1000%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf
If you'd rather have a hard copy, then Pentax will send one to you for $6.00.

I will be acquiring a K1000 pretty soon, so it was a good thing to find out that I can still get instructions for the thing.

Now, I want to add to my LBA madness by picking up another prime or 2 to use with this body.

Heather
03-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
What are your thoughts on this nearly 40 year old camera.
You and the camera did well for a "first" time out. The pain of learning the camera is well spent. I regularly shoot my 50 year old Asahi Pentax AP. The results are often very, very nice. I do use a good Sekonic digital light meter...

Try some Fuji Superia Reala. Better yet, buy it in 12 exposure rolls (anyone remember 20 exposure rolls?). Quick in and out. You will not find yourself waiting for four days and basically wasting shots to finish a roll.

I buy it in 24 and 36 as well, and select which to use based on where I am going and what I am doing. But for a quick in and out 12 exposure rolls are GREAT.

woof
03-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Folks...Thanks for all the comments...Funny thing...I started using my K1000 about two weeks ago. Right at the same time I got my K20D and have only used the K20D twice just to make sure everything works. Buy That K1000 is just incredible...What a joy it has been...

What I have noticed is that the film seems to capture what the eye sees and the digital captures what the camera sees..Does this make sense? I look at those sunsets for example...Those images where shot at roughly the same time.

Mike...I do not see question marks on my computer. But yes, I too was like...Man, this is suppose to be easy...

Heather...I am a guy, so my first question would be...What is a manual? l0l

CVS themselves will develope the film and put into a cd rom for like 6 bucks, + prints are 19 cents each. I do have a negative film scanner though and will likely do my own scanning from now on. But for now I was anxious to get them...

Woof...I did not see 12 exposer rolls. That would be better for me. I will look into that, thanks...

I will post more photos as I go.
03-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Javier, I think the hardest part is figuring out which film to use and where to find it - really, that is a major problem today.

I came across a pretty good link this morning showing the output from a few different relatively easy to find and inexpensive films - Taken by a talented photographer of easy to look at subjects NC攝影社群 > [長期攝影] 底片人像輯

I admit to being somewhat of Kodak user and somehow overlooked the High Definition 200 film - I really like the results - see for yourself - By the way, all images except the first one are taken with a Pentax
03-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tom
Those images have incredible detail. I am really surprised by them...In a pleasant way.
I will tell you...LBA has nothing on the temptation I am feeling right now to hunt down a PENTAX MZ-50...i considered one before the K1000, but really wanted the K1000 and am very pleased with it. As for film, I basically bought the least expensive that was at CVS but will move into better film.
03-21-2008, 05:37 AM   #14
Banned

thanks for posting that link, those images are indeed amazing. such detail and vivid colours.
03-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Jer

You did well . When I first got the Pentax 645N , I couldn't even load the dang film either ! I forgot that 120 film does not come with a cassette like 135 . So here I was playing with the 645N insert and the roll just slowly ... rolls on the table , exposing the film before my eyes ! I end up using that roll to practice :-D . Loading and shooting blank just to know all the info . Good lesson learned !

Here is a shot from a good roll :-) .