Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2008, 03:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I Have Achieved Critical Mass

Today I took the train over to our nearest city with decent-sized branches of major camera chains for the sole purpose of picking up some medium format film. I ended up picking up about 20 rolls, some Reala, Super G, and lots of Acros and Presto. Also picked up some for 35mm and grabbed a Y2 filter and some step-up rings.

The problem came after I left the chain store. I just happened to take a glance down a side street and noticed a small independent used camera shop. Against my better judgment, I entered. I had been considering getting a Pentax ME...and there sat several on the shelf, right at my eyeball level. I got one that was paired with a 50/1.7 for about $80. I tried to buy it without the lens, but the guy wasn't interested in making a deal.

Here's where the critical mass comes in......

I have finally acquired so damned many cameras that my wife can no longer keep up with what I do or don't have. I came back home with it slung on a neck strap, explained to her that I am loaning it to her to use tomorrow (kid's picture), and she never batted an eye. As far as she knows, that camera has been around here for months.

When you only have a couple of cameras, the Spousal Unit quickly spots new acquisitions. But when you have a couple dozen lying around and making shelf space scarce, it becomes the easiest thing in the world to just walk in with another one.

03-20-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
When you only have a couple of cameras, the Spousal Unit quickly spots new acquisitions. But when you have a couple dozen lying around and making shelf space scarce, it becomes the easiest thing in the world to just walk in with another one.
ROFLMAO!!! Obviously, I need a few more cameras because my wife still catches me when I bring home a new one. She has me on a "buy one, sell one" policy right now. She doesn't mind me getting new gear, but if I do, then I have to get rid of something else because she's refusing to yield any more of our house space to camera gear. Can't say that I blame her all that much.
03-20-2008, 05:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

lol!

I say I'll sell something but never actually get around to it. Might explain why I have two 105/2.5 Nikkors. Bought a new one then went to buy a cheap 2nd hand 85/2 about a week later and the guy also had a 105/2.5 (older model than my new one) going real cheap. I thought.. hmm... buy that, if it's as good as the new one I'll sell the new one, or just resell it... never did!
03-20-2008, 06:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think I'll need help: I've never sold anything. There will be a time I will have to. (This goes for stereo equipment also...)

03-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm going to have a harder time hiding the Ansco Shur Shot box camera that should arrive by Monday. The mailman is bringing that one.
03-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I take it your wife doesn't read this forum?
03-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Mike,

I'm afraid you're suffering of a severe, however rare case of ACBA (Analogue Camera Buying Addiction).
Since there you not been many cases reported so far, I have no idea what treatment to suggest.

- Bert
03-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're quite right, Bert. While at the big chain store I picked up both the K20D and the K200D. While I thought they were both quite nice I didn't get any overpowering urge to take one home with me. But there was no way I was leaving the used dealer without that ME. He wrote up the sales slip and went to put the camera in a bag. As he did, I pulled a roll of film out of the belt pouch with a Konica C35 in it, loaded the ME, and said, "Don't bother with a bag. I'll just shoot with the thing all the way home anyway."

03-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #9

Lucky, I walked into a camera shop recently and there was no used Pentax gear!
03-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Try to keep it that way. Me, unfortunately I have a medium format folding camera (and TLR, sure) habit to feed as well. But I'm TRYING to keep to pentax compatible 35mm SLR stuff, though that does include the M42's as well as the K mounts...
03-21-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Ah, yes...the camera-buying addiction.

Secondhand rocks.

Here's the story behind my K1000:

I was at Uni. Doing a writing course - it was about the time I figured there were easier ways to get 1000 words. There was some BS reading night for all our works or something, I'd stopped caring long ago.

Anyway, being "writers" the organisers decided we'd love to play Scrabble (which I do) so we paired up somehow and so I was playing against some quiet guy.

Now, we had some official proctor from the Queensland Scrabble Society (or whatever it's called) organising the games like a proper competition. She goes over the rules, and informs us the games will be timed. Fair enough.

So, I start - picked my pieces, set them out on the little easel thingy and lay down my first word, in under three minutes.

Then it's my competitor's turn. He fiddles around, put his word down, and we continue this for a few goes.

By now, he's noticed my ME with the Rikenon slotted on the front. Asks me if I like photography. Hell yes, I reply. Hey, he says, I live right next to the campus, my grandad gave me this old camera when he died - you should have a look at it. Cool, I says, I'll do that.

So, we keep playing. And, eventually, he starts winning. Now that he's about fifteen points, or so, ahead, he starts slowing...down...his...turns. So I have less time. He starts stretching his turns out to about six minutes apiece.

The game times were 30 minutes.

This goes on for two turns, until the proctor declares there's five minutes left. And that was on his turn. So he stretches this last turn of his out...and out...and...out. Until the game was over, with him in the lead, and me only trailing by about ten points. So, he wins.

When we rocked up to his place after that, he pulls out the old camera bag, and out comes a K1000, with a Hanimex zoom on it, and I have a look. It's a brass-topped K1000 - got "Asahi" on the pentaprism and everything. Horizontal split-screen. There's an old flash and a TC in there as well.

The camera's meter doesn't work - later, I'd find it suffered the infamous Black Copper Wire syndrome - and I um and ah for about twenty minutes, before I reluctantly say...

"It's worth about...fifty bucks."

"Oh," he mumbles, "that's all. It was from my grandad and everything..."

"You're not gonna get much more than that on eBay. It's old - these things are just old, they're not antiques or anything." And playing into the good ol' Popular Misconceptions, I add: "It's not a Canon or a Nikon that's worth something." (Canon FD's are shite, by the way.)

"Oh," he says, and then, "It's a deal."

Don't f*ck with me at Scrabble.
03-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fortunately for me my wife loves the older cameras in the shelf as decoration units, even though I take them out from time to time for exercise.

unfortunately when she wants to threaten me she uses the cameras... not the kids
03-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I'm going to have a harder time hiding the Ansco Shur Shot box camera that should arrive by Monday. The mailman is bringing that one.
I have an old Agfa Shur-Shot in my collection.
I suffer from the same affliction. We should form a support group.
We'll take turns taking pictures at the meetings.

Box camera ya say? I recently acquired 2 old cameras, the box being the oldest of the lot.
Have a look at this one. Nothing too dramatic about this old Kodak except for ....

... the little silver badge on the side.

It is celebrating 50 years of Kodak cameras - 1880 -1930. This little gem is 78 years old!

It may be a worker but I am sure it is 620 so I would have to respool a roll of 120 onto the old take up reels.

Best of all - it was free!
03-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your anniversary model looks identical to my #2 Cartridge Hawkeye Model C (in production at the same time as your camera...1926-1932). I'm not sure offhand, but I think that was prior to the introduction of 620 film. If that's the case, it is either 120 or 116, most likely 120.

They're capable of some very nice photos, considering their age and the fact that they were primarily intended for making 6x9cm contact prints. I have a very nice A4 print of this photo:

Here is a link to some other shots taken with mine: Flickr Set

Another kewl thing I like about the ME already is that I can use it with my M42 lenses exactly the same way I use them on the K100D, since the ME is an aperture-priority auto-exposure camera. Just focus, set aperture, and shoot. And I finally got to see what my Cosina 20mm lens gives for field of view on a full frame camera! Like having a 12 or 13mm lens on the K100D. Wiiiiiiiiide angle!
03-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
It may be a worker but I am sure it is 620 so I would have to respool a roll of 120 onto the old take up reels.
Great looking camera!

You may be able to use 120 without respooling by filing off the bumps on the spool. I've done this for a Box Brownie.

Nige.