Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #1

I need help!!

Hi guys I need help with this wonderful piece of history. My grandpa gave me his old Pentax KX (same as k1000 but with timer and film speed manual set) that looks brand new by the way :P

Im having problems with the film speed indicator and its pin. It used to spin and work well but sometimes it cames loose and spins ineffectually.

If the lightmetter is on and I change the film speed to a higher asa value, the lightmetter needle is supposed to go up, isn't it? PLEASE HELP becasue I don't know if it's working properly.

THANK YOU!!

07-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just checked on my copy, it does show a faster shutter speed for the same lighting conditions when half pressing the button if ASA wheel is moved say from 100 to 400. Note that the shutter needs to be cocked for the meter to be activated.

If a film is loaded it is somewhat rare to 'push' the film in this way mid roll unless being done to meet specific lighting conditions as there is less latititude for fooling film chemicals than there is on the current DSLR sensors..

Does the film speed indicator on your copy have the silver locking lever at the 9:00 postion when looking down on the wheel from behind. It seem to be made of spring steel and needs to be held down to rotate the wheel and stops accidental movement. Its location so near the left side of the body could predispose it to catching on clothing or bending it etc.

If it is still present but temperamental perhaps your camera needs a bit of a CLA.

Hope that helps.
07-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Your KX has a transparent blue needle indicating the shutter speed and the black one indicating what the camera recommends. The blue one moves with the shutter dial. The black one should go to a higher shutter speed indication when you increase the ISO. Arjay nailed it.
07-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Note that the shutter needs to be cocked for the meter to be activated.
Not necessarily cocked, but film wind lever must be in ready position (stood off from body) to activate the meter with a half-press to actually turn it on. Once on, the meter stays on until the film wind lever is pressed in towards the body in the not-ready position.

Steve

07-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjuanmartin Quote
Pentax KX (same as k1000 but with timer and film speed manual set)
Similar chassis and same physical dimensions as the K1000, but otherwise fairly dissimilar. By comparison, the KX has:
  • More sensitive and responsive SPD metering system
  • Full information viewfinder (shows both aperture and shutter speed)
  • Depth of field preview
  • Mirror lockup
  • Self-timer
  • Wider ISO film speed range
  • Shutter lock
  • Meter on/off switch using film wind lever
Price new, the KX was about twice as much money as a K1000, though today's market price for bodies in similar condition is about the same due to the K1000's cult status. How are they similar? Well, both accept the full range of M42 (with adapter) and compatible (must have aperture ring) K-mount lenses. Both accept the same range of accessories. Both are also very capable tools for taking great photos.

Steve
07-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

jjuanmartin, if you have not done so, please tke a look at the manual which can be found here

Your camera may need some service, it i a 40yr old machine and a little love and care will make it last another 40!