Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter

My ESII arrived today and I have a question about it.

I put batteries in it and it didn't seem to be metering but flipping them over twice and/or simply exercising the parts seems to have brought it back to life.

The question is: For long automatic exposures is it normal that the shutter closes immediately after releasing the shutter button? If the meter indicates an eight second exposure the shutter stays open about that long only if I hold the button down for longer than eight seconds.

A very kind soul gifted me with several S-M-C lenses last month including an f4/300.

07-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It also has a feature not mentioned in the Camera Review here: Pentax ES II - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

A split image focusing screen.
07-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
For long automatic exposures is it normal that the shutter closes immediately after releasing the shutter button? If the meter indicates an eight second exposure the shutter stays open about that long only if I hold the button down for longer than eight seconds.
This is not normal; I assume you have it in auto mode and with one of the SMC lenses?
07-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
This is not normal; I assume you have it in auto mode and with one of the SMC lenses?
Yes to auto. Manual speeds slower than 1/60th don't exist. The lens I used is an S-M-C tak. I'll be putting a roll of film through it this week to test the meter.

08-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
I put batteries in it and it didn't seem to be metering but flipping them over twice and/or simply exercising the parts seems to have brought it back to life.

The question is: For long automatic exposures is it normal that the shutter closes immediately after releasing the shutter button? If the meter indicates an eight second exposure the shutter stays open about that long only if I hold the button down for longer than eight seconds.

A very kind soul gifted me with several S-M-C lenses last month including an f4/300.
When everything is working right, you can lift your finger off the shutter release during a long exposure and the exposure will continue until it is completed. The switch that enables that to happen can get out of adjustment. The work around when taking long exposures at night is just to keep your finger on the shutter release until the exposure in completed. You can either take it to be repaired, or you can remove the base plate and check the shutter release shaft and associated switch parts to see what is wrong.