Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #1

Help with Pentax ME

Hi I just moved into a new flat recently with my friend and in a box in the kitchen we found, amongst other very interesting things, an old pentax ME. I really don't know much about pentax as i've never owned one but i have been determined to get this camera working again. The film advance lever does not seem to 'wind' and when pulled from its normal position resting on the camera it will stick out in front. The shutter release doesn't click when pressed and when i opened up the camera the shutter windows also seem to be stuck. The mirror inside is in the right position and the camera has no batteries in (but i would imagine in certain modes the shutters ect would work without a battery). I know this probably seems like a lost cause but i wonder if any of you would know what i could do here? I would leave the camera if i knew it was completely done but the lens is in amazingly good condition, as is the rest of the camera features. Thanks

07-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With no film it should still wind and the shutter should still work. Shouldn't need batteries, it should still at least physically function. It might be stuck, if it needs cleaning and lube that would be a very good possibility. I have a couple that will sit there for an hour before they will work again, something stuck inside, badly in need of CLA...(clean, lube and adjustment?) You have to have the function knob off the LOCK position for anything to happen. Set it to B and it should open the shutter, and keep it open until you let up the shutter button. Any other position than LOCK should allow it to work.

Anyway the lens can be removed and can be used on any Pentax camera, including digitals. It has a button on the bottom right section of the lens mount, below the shutter button. Press that and it should easily twist off counter clockwise. To put it back on just line up the red dots and twist clockwise till it clicks in place.

If you watch inside it should turn the film take up barrel on the right as you cock it. If that's not happening something is definitely wrong...I think sometimes I have to cock them a couple of times before they will fire but not positive, that may be the Minolta...
07-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #3

If the camera is indeed too much effort to repair, you can easily find those on ebay for very little money - like around $20. The real score might be the lens. Some of those cameras came with very highly regarded lenses such as the 50mm 1.7. Take a look at the lens reviews here and see what people say about yours. That might be extra incentive to get this working or even to pick up another body.
07-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
With no film it should still wind and the shutter should still work
...when the selection dial is on the 100x setting...

Steve

07-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

OK thanks Steve, I knew it should work on the B setting but couldn't remember what flash setting the ME had and didn't have it handy to look. I'm pretty sure it won't on the auto setting, that requires batteries.
08-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
OK thanks Steve, I knew it should work on the B setting but couldn't remember what flash setting the ME had and didn't have it handy to look. I'm pretty sure it won't on the auto setting, that requires batteries.
Yes to move the dial to the 100x setting you may have to press a little white button on the dial (see picture below)
manual can be found here: Kim Coxon's website