Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

How much to Pay for a LX?

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but maybe you can help me.
I have the chance to buy a used LX and I'm unsure about the price.
The seller has offered me it for about 330$.

The Body has some sings of use, but that does not matter for, as i want it to use for photographic not for a collection.
the only thing that bothers me, is that there are some scratches on the mirror. If you look into the bajonett the scratches are at the bottom of the mirror. the seller told me the scratches are not visible in the viewfinder.

the lx include "Grip B" and "FF-1 Waist-Level Finder" and "FA-1 Eye-Level Finder"

Is the price a fair offer?
Thanks and greetings
Six

Last edited by sixstring; 03-21-2008 at 02:57 PM.
03-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
VPT

WOW. That's very good deal. A LX alone can cost about $300. This even comes with grip, and extra FF-1 finder.
03-22-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply: here is a picture of the mirror corner.
I'm wondering how this can happen? Maybe a improperly solved "sticky-mirror"-problem?
this ist the right corner. same on the left side.
Anyway, i will take the LX and maybe give it a do over at pentax.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio 750Z  Photo 
03-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
DAP

Are those scratches or just sticky residue left over from the mirror box foam?

I'd say that $300 seems to be the going rate for an LX in good condition in todays market (with one finder). So you are on average.

03-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
check it out

the lx is a beautiful camera ,i have used one for over 30years . you seem to be aware that mirror box foam needs replacing ,sticky mirror is more complicated and requires more internal work from an expert , get a quote ($200 AU).
03-24-2008, 05:06 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johngios Quote
the lx is a beautiful camera ,i have used one for over 30years . you seem to be aware that mirror box foam needs replacing ,sticky mirror is more complicated and requires more internal work from an expert , get a quote ($200 AU).
That, was my thought. Sending it to Pentax, will be no big deal for me, as Pentax Europe is only a few streets away. So i will give them a visit when the LX is in my hands. (I'm so excited, can you belive it?!)
03-24-2008, 05:40 AM   #7
Forum Member

Looks to me like the mirror bumper foam on the under side of the prism got sticky, peeled off onto the mirror, and then someone scraped it off the mirror, taking some of the aluminum with it. You probably won't see any effect in the viewfinder, although it could possibly affect the metering in manual mode (if the scrapes let more light hit the shutter curtain than the light meter is expecting, it will try to compensate, giving you an off reading; Auto mode shouldn't be affected, since it will meter off the film plane after the mirror goes up).

FWIW, I have my LX in to Pentax Service right now for an overhaul. It's costing me $296 USD, 3/4 of which is labor cost. Replacing the mirror shouldn't cost much since it's easily accessible, but if the body you are looking at is developing gummy foam, it will probably need an overhaul as well. The warning sign is "sticky mirror syndrome", where the mirror is slow to swing up after it's been sitting unused for a while. Another way to check is to set the shutter speed to B, hold down the release, and look inside the mirror box with the mirror swung up. There is a small foam plug sticking out of each side of the mirror box wall; these are what the mirror rests on when it is down. If the plugs have indentations with sort of a shiny glassy appearance, then the foam is turning to goo and the camera will probably need an overhaul. Even if you try to use it as-is, the focus will be off because the mirror is sitting further down in the indentations than it is supposed to.

03-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Today the LX arrived!
It is very good condition, much better than i thought. I took a quick look at the scratches, but realized that is dirt, not scratches! So a cleaning at pentax will solve the "problem".
I must say the LX is the best SLR i ever had. If only the digital pentaxes would be as good as the LX. The amazing thing: When you hold the camera it is perfectly balanced. weight and size match perfect.
I'm very happy!
Greetings
Six
EDIT: I looked the rubber bumpers left and right, the seem dim and not glossy

Last edited by sixstring; 03-31-2008 at 11:17 AM.
04-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #9

I bought a LX a month ago for 175 E, but it has all the problems you can expect: Sticky mirror, desintegrated foam and smudges on the ground glass.
I expect to spend at least as much for repair.
I hope it will be ready in a few weeks.
So 330 $ sounds like a good deal if the repairs aren't to expensive.
04-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #10

Can you give me a contact address for LX CLA service?
04-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #11
Forum Member

What country are you in?

Here's the info for Pentax US:

Pentax Imaging

FYI, mine took about 4 weeks.
04-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Lx Cla

Only the official pentax agent in your country can CLA a LX, because the body is sealed with a special product only Pentax repair shops have. I had
all 3 of my LX's CLA'ed by Pentax, it was worth it!
A friend had his done by a generic repair shop and when the camera had to be repaired again (dropped) it could not be opened again because the non Pentax seal stuck that match!
04-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sixstring Quote
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but maybe you can help me.
I have the chance to buy a used LX and I'm unsure about the price.
The seller has offered me it for about 330$.

The Body has some sings of use, but that does not matter for, as i want it to use for photographic not for a collection.
the only thing that bothers me, is that there are some scratches on the mirror. If you look into the bajonett the scratches are at the bottom of the mirror. the seller told me the scratches are not visible in the viewfinder.

the lx include "Grip B" and "FF-1 Waist-Level Finder" and "FA-1 Eye-Level Finder"

Is the price a fair offer?
Thanks and greetings
Six
If it isn't showing signs of sticky mirror, or corrosion on the ISO resistor or aperture cam follower resistor, it isn't a bad price at all. Try to ensure it is a recent model (the shutter button has a sleeve around it for the lock).
05-11-2008, 03:49 AM   #14

good price. i got mine off ebay for about 400 dollars. its in fine condition and came with the fc finders.
the lx (in good condition) costs around 800dollars here in japan.