Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2008, 05:24 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
... thanks to having an up-to-date good quality scanner.
What scanner are you using Mike? I really need a good scanner that can handle 35mm and 120 negs and positives. And like you, I am just a workin' man and can't afford a super high-end unit.

04-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Javier,

Are you finding yourself using your film cameras more and more and your digital less and less? That has certainly been the case with me here lately.

Cost and all that sort of thing aside, there is some undefinable "something" about shooting with film and with the build and handling of the "old" cameras. I now find my K100D unspeakably ugly and more than ever despise that godawful butt-ugly built-in flash protrusion. And I suppose part of it comes from the fact that it will always be a 6mp camera where I typically get close to 15mp from my 35mm cameras and, as I type this, am scanning in some nice 20mp images from a 1953 Mamiya medium format folder.

I've sort of held off on jonesing for a K10D, K200D, or K20D (which is totally out of my reach) mostly on the grounds that whatever is wrong with my photography isn't going to be fixed by a few more megapixels. But still, they sure are nice coming off of film. And all my many film cameras are 15mp and up, thanks to having an up-to-date good quality scanner.
Funny you mentioned that. I lately find myself using almost exclusively my film cameras and mainly my MX. Moreover, I shoot less than I used to when I was shooting with my DS... However, I do not own a film scanner and the whole process before I get the digital file takes too long and the result is not always the desirable one
04-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
What scanner are you using Mike? I really need a good scanner that can handle 35mm and 120 negs and positives. And like you, I am just a workin' man and can't afford a super high-end unit.
I'm using the CanoScan 8800F (maximum optical resolution 4800dpi) in combination with VueScan.

This evening I scanned in some 120 Fuji Reala Ace taken with a 1953 Mamiya Six folding rangefinder. I did them at 2400dpi with three scanning passes each. The resulting files were in the neighborhood of 16mb and about 20 megapixels (5000x4000 pixels...or 1/4 of the scanner's max).

I had to resize them to get them under 10mb so I could upload them to Flickr. Here are some of them with NO POST-PROCESSING other than the resize:

Not too shabby for a couple hundred dollar scanner, a seventy dollar camera, and a two-bit photographer.
04-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Javier,

Are you finding yourself using your film cameras more and more and your digital less and less? That has certainly been the case with me here lately.

Cost and all that sort of thing aside, there is some undefinable "something" about shooting with film and with the build and handling of the "old" cameras. I now find my K100D unspeakably ugly and more than ever despise that godawful butt-ugly built-in flash protrusion. And I suppose part of it comes from the fact that it will always be a 6mp camera where I typically get close to 15mp from my 35mm cameras and, as I type this, am scanning in some nice 20mp images from a 1953 Mamiya medium format folder.

I've sort of held off on jonesing for a K10D, K200D, or K20D (which is totally out of my reach) mostly on the grounds that whatever is wrong with my photography isn't going to be fixed by a few more megapixels. But still, they sure are nice coming off of film. And all my many film cameras are 15mp and up, thanks to having an up-to-date good quality scanner.
Mike, This was a very enjoyable post..Yes, I have found myself atleast this past week using it more than digital. In fact, I did shoot a little digital yesterday and it took me a while to notice that I was no longer chimping...As for the cost, Like I told my wife, if I get one good picture out of the roll of film, then it paid for itself...If I get all junk, then it paid for itself as a lesson learned...Besides I do not shoot weddings or anything other than for myself...

04-08-2008, 03:43 AM   #50

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice photos, I think I would buy myself a film and try my k1000 for the first time and see for myself
04-08-2008, 03:58 AM   #51
Inactive Account

I'm using the CanoScan 8800F (maximum optical resolution 4800dpi) in combination with VueScan.

This evening I scanned in some 120 Fuji Reala Ace taken with a 1953 Mamiya Six folding rangefinder. I did them at 2400dpi with three scanning passes each. The resulting files were
Not too shabby for a couple hundred dollar scanner, a seventy dollar camera, and a two-bit photographer.
Thanks for the info Mike, I'll look into that scanner.

I have a bag full of 35mm and 120 film in the fridge just begging to be used. First day off with decent weather I'll be out shooting some Velvia! I really want to use the Yashica Mat again. It is fun and easy to use and definitely earns a few stares and some comments from folks.

Are you able to do long exposures with the Velvia or does it suffer from reciprocity problems?

When I first viewed the pictures you posted I wasn't impressed. However, viewing them at home they look much better! I now know that problem; my work computer is crap!
04-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I'm sure they'll look a lot better with some curve adjustments and a little USM. I thought it best to show them here without any processing so you can get a better look at what the scanner can do on its own.

TLRs are definitely fun to take out. I don't use a strap or the original case/strap combo for toting any of mine around. I take them one of three ways:

1. On a tripod
2. On a monopod
3. On a simple "L" shaped combo handle/flash-bracket.

I have heard that Velvia has reciprocity problems, but I have never shot with it longer than about 1 second anyway, so I really can't say. I seem to recall having read that one should go longer than about 8 seconds with it. Don't take that as gospel, though. I have no real confidence in my recollection of that.

04-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My Latest role..
Shot these with Kodak film BW400 professional and Pentax K1OOO

04-19-2008, 12:37 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Nothing like a roll of BW film and a K1000 to bring out the nostalgia in a man. Great shots as usual. The wildlife and child combination makes the 5th image of your last series my favourite.
04-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Nothing like a roll of BW film and a K1000 to bring out the nostalgia in a man. Great shots as usual. The wildlife and child combination makes the 5th image of your last series my favourite.
Thank you, I thought I was going to be the only one who liked that one.
04-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Nope, I liked that one too.
04-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I took my K1000 for a spin for the first time in ages while in London. It's funny how fast we adapt to new technology. While shooting, I kept looking at the back of the camera after releasing the shutter to see what my shot looked like. Oops.

It took me an entire roll of film to remember how to use it.
LOL!That is funny!
04-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
My Latest role..
Shot these with Kodak film BW400 professional and Pentax K1OOO
Thanks for sharing these. Nice set of shots, I like em. I just picked up a roll of that Kodak BW400 professional tonight, and your pictures are getting me excited to try it out.
04-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #59
Veteran Member

A little hijack.....

Did I miss what you guys are using to scan in your film shots? Scanning my prints isn't working well for me.... And the scans the photo shop does are not any better.

edit: I see the 8800f mentioned, any others that are good?

Last edited by Fritz; 04-19-2008 at 10:09 PM.
04-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fred, Indeed the 8800 is a great scanner.
Personally, I use the cannon at home or HP at work. It really comes down to the software. I use Vue Scan at home and Silverfast SE at work. Both do an equally great job.