Banned

this is why I love film so much.
05-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this is why I love film so much.
Thank you!. Same here.. These days I find myself using more film than digital. Well not quite, but pretty close...I shot some 4 rolls this month and have not finished scanning them yet. ( I have CVS process the film and I scan them) But film seems to capture what it ''sees'' ..Does this make sense?

05-18-2008, 06:35 AM   #65

Need help with K1000

I have an Asahi Pentax K1000 in great condition! I am going to the middle east and want to take it. It takes better pics than my digital cameras. However, I need telephoto lenses. An auto winder would nice, too. Can I still get lenses that fit? An autowinder?
05-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #66
Veteran Member

There's no autowinder for the K1000. Only the KX marked Motor Drive, and a variant of the K2 DMD can take motor drives (also, the M series, LX and A series of bodies can take autowinders/motor drives). As for telephoto lens, just head over to the photographer's marketplace, and start hunting. You can use K, M, A, F and FA lenses on the K1000 with no problems whatsoever.
05-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #67

Thanks VF-19

Thanks for the info re: lenses. What is the photographers marketplace? Are those lenses still available at any camera shop? I am not a big fan of buying items on the internet. Yes, I am a dinosaur. I actually bought my K1000 new when I was in high school in the 70's.
05-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Of course we all know a film camera is just a light tight box. Given correct exposure, lens and film
play a far greater role in the quality of the end results. But for many the Pentax K1000 is special.

The K1000 is a throwback to a different time, when a fine camera was an investment, and built to last a lifetime.
It's simple enough for the beginner, yet offers all the creative control required by the advanced amateur.
No wonder it's the camera so many learned photography with, and have stayed with for so many years.

Chris
Chris....Well said..I could not agree more.

06-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I tried this with digital as well and it does not compare. Somethings can't be done with digital. At least I can't do them.

06-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I tried this with digital as well and it does not compare. Somethings can't be done with digital. At least I can't do them.

What kind of film are you using? Lens? There is a certain quality that this has that I rarely see these days.

woof
06-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I've found this too, that at times digital has nothing on a great film shot.
06-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Woof. The film I am using for color is nothing more than $.99 cents film from the $.99 cents store. As for Lens, it is the SMC m50 F/2.0 on a K1000...

Fritz, When ever I set out to go on a photo hunt now, I grab my K1000 first. I take what I call the money shots with the film body and kinda shoot around with the digital. There is not a whole lot of difference, but there is enough, where I feel the film images simply look better...With Digital they often need tweaking in CS3 while the film is pretty much ready to go. Here is a digital shot of the same crane. They look close and this after PP work on the digital image.

Folks, what are your thoughts? It seems to me that film catches the essence of what it sees?

Digital image / NO pp, but as it came out.

Digital image after PP work.

Film image original / NO PP / as it came out.

06-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here are some images I shot with BW400CN Film..It seems to have a sharper look compared to Tri X but Tri X has a more vintage look about it... I also need to remember to stop down 1/2 stop...I am still learning, but having tons of fun.

Here is a hamster cage that my shop foreman built. It took him about a year to build it. It is an engine he cut in half and well, here you have it...

Here is a peek inside the kitchen of one of my favorite Mexican Restaurants. ''EL TEPEYAC'' in the middle of ELA..

My Daughter Krisanie.
She just turned 20. She is my second oldest. Daddy's girl..

My Twins, Daniel and Claire. I focused on Claire. I should have stopped the lens way down. Live and learn.

Daniel shooting something.

He pretty much took possession of the K100D super with it's 28-300 Tamron super zoom

Here is a race engine and some race shortblocks.

A trip through the grave yard.

Here is a fountain at the San Gabriel mission.

And a day at the pond.

Last edited by jgredline; 06-21-2008 at 10:23 PM.
06-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #74
Forum Member

I use the Canoscan 8400F. I primarily chose it because it can do medium format as well as two strips of 35mm at a time like the 8800F. I use the standard software and import into Photoshop CS3. It's okay and was well worth the ~$150 I spent on it a couple of years back but it really blocks up detail and I wouldn't use it to scan negatives for printing.

I've been using the ol' K-1000 lately. Actually, I have two of them I've been keeping in film lately, since I picked up a second some time ago thinking that the first was surely at the end of its life. Turns out that the first was just being grumpy that week and its perfectly fine now. I probably loaded a bit of film wrong into it.

Once I get a batch of Perceptol (developer) mixed up I only have a month to use it. Now a rational person would just shoot a bunch then mix developer and develop everything at once, but that required patience. Here is one from my last roll -- Ilford SFX and a Hoya RM-72 filter. Its not the best of the bunch and I processed it mostly as an example but it is what I have on hand to post.

07-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No more cheap 99cents store film for me. I have been doing myself an injustice.
These where shot with Fuji hi q 200 film...
Here is downtown LA shot through echo park

Echo park an hour before sun down.

Echo park at sun down

Some fellow on a bike.

A nice couple in Love....