Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
It has brass paint under the black one to "hide" the plastic. If you wear it further you'll see it is grey (plastic) under the "brass".
How very typical of Canon.

08-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
It would be interesting to know why they used the various top and base materials while the sides and rear doors appear to be of painted steel on all cameras of that era.
Polycarbonate is easier to work with and in many ways more durable than the traditional stamped metal covers for top and bottom. Hinges and film doors on most cameras continued to be metal until the mid-1980s, though the chassis were often plastic (how do we spell C-A-N-O-N?). Product reviews of the time (even full tear-down reports) were careful to not make obvious note of actual construction unless it were unexpectedly good or unexpectedly bad.

Steve
08-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
And that was a very fashionable lens back about 81-82. Australian Photography always seemed to make a big deal of the lens.
Everyone was gaga over the pancake on such a tiny camera

Steve
08-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some years ago I had a 1965 3-piece cane Orvis fly fishing rod. I bought it in the used department at a fishing store when carbon graphite was coming in. It was their highest quality, line with nickel silver fittings, flawless cork grip, agate-lined guides and an aluminum rod tube. It came with a green plastic screw-in end cap that always bothered me - I thought it was generic.

One day when I was fishing with it on a small freestone creek another fisherman, a collector, offered to buy it for an exorbitant sum. I demurred and explained about the plastic cap. His eyes got big and he increased his offer - he thought I had been playing hard-to-get. After I had the money I asked about the end cap. He laughed (at himself), and told me plastic was very fashionable in the 1960's and many of those plastic end caps were then being sold to collectors for $100 and replaced on rod tubes by generic brass caps.

I guess you never really know.

08-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No doubt both can produce identical results with or without the passed sticker . . .