Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

Why is the black Pentax MX worth a lot?

I was just wondering why it is worth a lot because I found one in my storage space, with two lenses, an original strap, and a lens cap. It is in near mint condition, too!

08-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, black bodies were produced in far fewer numbers than chrome. Inasmuch as black bodies were disproportionately acquired by professional photographers, they tend to not be in as cosmetically good shape as chrome cameras; that means that your "near mint" black body ought to fetch a very nice price, I would think. Before you list it, however, you might consider investing about $75 in sending it to Eric Hendrickson for a CLA as it probably needs a lubrication and the seals and mirror bumper replaced (and who knows what the battery chamber holds).
08-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

What a great "find". You must have friendly elves in your storage space. I don't know if the black MX has a higher value than any other black-bodied camera. Back-in-the-day the black body was available as a relatively inexpensive ($15-$20) upgrade and they are not particularly rare. If yours is in excellent condition, that might be a consideration for a collector, though it is hard to say how much of a premium the color might represent.

If you decide you want to sell, the marketplace on this site might be a good place to start. (Forum rules forbid selling or promoting an item for sale from the forum itself.) A black MX body in excellent condition with CLA in a shop here in Portland would go for about $250 USD with 1 year warranty. The same camera in a private sale will sell for about $100 or so less. There are also several eBay auctions currently running that you might want to reference. Ignore the BIN prices.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-08-2013 at 12:16 PM.
08-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also, the MX has developed a reputation as a "pro" camera, and so tends to bring higher prices than most other model Pentax. In many ways I prefer the MX to the LX.

08-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice find! Just how close to mint is it . . . is the passed sticker in great condition too . . .

No doubt condition and functionality can really drive the price high!
08-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I used the loupe to look at some cameras.
My MX is well worn with some of the black paint rubbed off from use and I think top and base are of brass plate.

The Canon A-1 top and base also brass plate under its black paint.

The ME Super here has some dings, and I think it is Aluminum and not painted,

The later Ricohs here appear to have plastic bases and tops ( KR-10 and KR-5(2)

Last edited by wombat2go; 08-09-2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Changed after Steve's post below and using a smaller magnet
08-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Nice find! Just how close to mint is it . . . is the passed sticker in great condition too . . .

Mine looks soooooooooo close to that, except it had the strap, and no PASSED sticker. However, there is a PASSED sticker on one of the lenses

08-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxcollector7987 Quote
I was just wondering why it is worth a lot because I found one in my storage space, with two lenses, an original strap, and a lens cap. It is in near mint condition, too!
Oh and it also had the ORIGINAL case
08-08-2013, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
My MX is well worn with some of the black paint rubbed off from use and I think ( fairly sure) it it is of brass plated steel.
I can definitely attest to that. One of my black MXs had that, too. I get all dreamy when I hold my MX. What a perfect camera.
08-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The Ricoh XR-2 here looks like it is bare steel but with a heavier paint coating.
The later Ricohs here appear to have painted steel bases and plastic tops ( KR-10 and KR-5(2)
Interesting. My XR-2s (same body as XR-2 and KR-5) has painted plastic top and bottom plates over cast/machined metal (unknown type) chassis. My XR7s (next generation after the XR-2s and same body as KR-10) (I have three*) also has painted plastic top and bottom plates over cast/machined aluminum chassis. I pulled the bottom plates just to make sure. The plastic is a very dark gray. Due to the use of paint over plastic these cameras don't really "brass". They will take a scratch, but with no bright metal underneath.

This is not an indication of poor quality, but merely a common construction of the time. The Ricoh's metal chassis was a bit unusual since many other makers had switched to plastic there as well. This was called out in the various reviews as an indication of quality construction.

Steve

* One parts body and two working bodies...the second a gift from a forum member.
08-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Mine looks soooooooooo close to that, except it had the strap, and no PASSED sticker. However, there is a PASSED sticker on one of the lenses
If it doesn't have the PASSED sticker then that could hurt the price . . .

Oh and it also had the ORIGINAL case
Correct accessories definitely add to the value.

I went to KEH and their quote to buy a black MX in EX condition is $156 and the chrome is $69.30 so at least to them the black MX is worth a lot more than the chrome.

I don't intend to sell mine as it feels good to use a camera that not only works correctly but also in good shape!
08-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of the cameras up to the mid-70s used top and bottom plates of formed brass which was plated or painted. Back then brass parts were usually cheaper overall, as the easier forming and machining made up for the material cost. So I doubt if the MX has brass-plated covers - probably just brass.
08-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Interesting. My XR-2s (same body as XR-2 and KR-5) has painted plastic top and bottom plates over cast/machined metal (unknown type) chassis.
I agree, after using a smaller magnet, and I changed my post above.
It would be interesting to know why they used the various top and base materials while the sides and rear doors appear to be of painted steel on all cameras of that era.

I think TomB is correct, MX is of brass plate , not plated steel.
I was fooled by using a strong magnet which attracted to steel inside the camera
08-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Canon A-1 top and base also brass plate under its black paint.
Not reallly. The A-1 has a plastic body: one of the first. It has brass paint under the black one to "hide" the plastic. If you wear it further you'll see it is grey (plastic) under the "brass".
08-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote

And that was a very fashionable lens back about 81-82. Australian Photography always seemed to make a big deal of the lens.