Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The MX-era cases are pretty poor compared to the SV-Spotmatic era that used much better leather.
I don't think I've found an MX with a leather strap. I thought they all came with a fiber strap.
The leather straps were for screw-mounts and the K Series bodies had a new fiber strap, which was terrible. The colour would fade or rub off on your hands and the strap would fray.
The M Series got a nylon strap which was much better and will last forever. I replaced all the straps on my K Series bodies with the M straps.

Phil.

08-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterW Quote
This leather strap is in a very good condition. I belive it is a genuine Pentax accessory. If it came with the MX back in the 70s, I do not know.
This is not a strap original to the camera. The MX would have come with a cheaper, thin (maybe 1 cm wide) strap that appeared to have been made from some sort of fabric of dipped into a black paint to give the aura of a funky black leather. You then slipped that through a provided rubber shoulder pad, which read "Asahi PENTAX," before attaching it to the camera's strap rings (which, as you will note, nicely mimic the shape of the Asahi Optical Co. logo on the front of the prism). Truly, the straps they provided back then were (and felt) stiff and terribly cheap. The strap you have here is much nicer than anything Pentax offered back then.
08-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
The strap you have here is much nicer than anything Pentax offered back then.
At least for the N. America market. I may be much mistaken, but it is my understanding that a premium leather strap has been an available accessory in Asia pretty much forever. You see them every so often on eBay or on camera poon posted on Flickr, here, and elsewhere. Whether this is on of them, I don't know. The clip-type swivel attachment is very typical for aftermarket straps of the day. I have one of the thin, paint-dipped fabric straps in a box somewhere. They did not age well. As for the triangular strap rings and the AOC logo......I just noticed the squared-off ends. How clever.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-24-2013 at 11:35 AM.
08-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The case costed more than the price you paid. lol
The black MX is more expensive, I had a hard time to look for a good condition one.

I finally found one, but sadly, the prism is dented a bit during shipping.
You are very lucky on this MX.

09-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

THIS IS NOT EVEN FAIR!!!
but still good hunting
MX is my favorite among MX, LX and KX.
09-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jscornelius Quote
Seeing these photos reminded me of this question: Did Pentax make some MX tops out of something other than brass? I've got two, both well worn. One has obvious brass showing where the paint is worn away, the other has what looks like grey metal, much like this camera. Were they chrome tops repainted black? Titanium? A mystery to me.
Some manufacturers used a black chrome process, I have a black Minolta that's worn and battered, but it's certainly not paint; none of it is flaking.