Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #1

MX stuck on half press

Although it still takes pictures and everything still functions, the shutter is stuck at half press, so the meter is always on. Does anybody else have this problem?

08-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you tried turning it on and off or taking out the battery? If so, possibly send it in for repair.

Dale
08-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
Have you tried turning it on and off or taking out the battery? If so, possibly send it in for repair.

Dale
It seems to rise back up when i lock the shutter. I don't think i would send it in for repair for something this minor (plus the cost), it still takes pictures so i guess i just have to live with it. Thanks anyway
08-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote

Dale
The MX is a film camera that is manual. Battery is only for the lightmeter. It could be old foam getting in the mechanism.

08-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by teemeh Quote
Although it still takes pictures and everything still functions, the shutter is stuck at half press, so the meter is always on. Does anybody else have this problem?
I have had that problem on a couple of MXs in the past. You did not mention whether your MX was attached to an auto-winder, but that can make a difference. If it is, try removing it from the auto-winder to see whether that makes any difference. As noted by ztoone above, the meter should time out after awhile, but my experience shows (at least on one MX with this problem) that it did not time out, and I went through quite a few batteries because of it. You are fortunate that the locking collar gives you some control over whether the meter stays on or not (especially given the fact that the locking collar on MXs are a fairly common service item).

The bottom line is, if you want an MX to be free of little problems like that, you should send it to Eric Hendrickson. It will probably cost you about $75 for a CLA (cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment) and a fixed shutter release button, but he will give you back a trouble-free MX with fresh light seals, mirror bumper, etc. It is well worth it, in my opinion, because the Pentax MX is simply the finest manual 35mm SLR. It's like a Leica, frankly (even better, actually).
08-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you guys so much for the feedback! I did try removing the autowinder and it seems to fix the issue