Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

pz-1p or k2 dmd

which would you choose if you had the choice of both? I am interested in a film body but the only experience i have with SLRs is with the K100d which would you take knowing that and also knowing that i have no manual lenses all are autofocus?

03-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the PZ-1p and a relative of the K2, the KX. As long as there's an aperature ring on the lens and it's not a DA (with a few exceptions), it will work on the K2, just no autofocus, and no program modes.

Honestly, it all depends on what you want in your film camera. A "smart" camera that'll do everything, or a simple light-tight box where you have control over everything.
03-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 3 film bodies to go with my *istD and K10D, these are

KX, Ricoh XR-2s and PZ-1.

The KX is a fully manual camera, with matched needle metering.

The Ricoh XR-2s is a poor man's K2DMD, it has identical control and view finder layout to the KX, but as opposed to the fabric, mechanically times horizontal shutter, which tops out at 1/1000 and has 1/60 flash sync, the XR-2s has a metal blade, electronically controlled vertical shutter, with 1/2000 and 1/125 flash sync. It also supported Apature priority automatic mode with center weighted metering. The Ricoh bodies had a nice feature, a diagonal split image, much better than horizontal. The XR-2s also supports a 2.2 fps motor winder which I also have. These 2 made a great pairing, since they were identical to operate.

My PZ-1 however is light years ahead of these full manual bodies. It has a 3 FPS built in motor winder, TTL flash, spot metering along with matrix metering, is a full AF body, but unlike the multititude of compatc 35mm SLRs that pentax made, this is a full sized ALL metal frame with reienforced polycarbonate body. From the controls point of view, if you like a K10D, this will be very familiar to you, right down to dual thumb wheels.

Of the 3, I would have to say the PZ-1 is the best option, and same for you. This body can function in flash mode with every lens using TTL flash, it can run all automatic modes of the crippled KAF-J mount lenses, and with the exception of HSM lenses can work every lens that pentax ever made, in auto modes, manual modes Apature priority modes, plus autofocus with an acceptable accuracy and tracking capability.....

The only problem I have with the PZ-1 is that it is so similar to a DSLR, that I instinctively look at the back of the film door waiting for the digital preview to appear after I take a shot.
03-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The XR-2s and its clone, the Sears KS auto do not go to 1/2000, only 1/1000.

The Ricoh XR-1s and its clone, the Sears KS1000 are similar to the KX.

These Ricoh made cameras use less-sophisticated CdS cells in their metering systems, and do not have true mirror lockup.

I have owned Ricoh and Sears versions of each. Though nice cameras they are not as well made as a Pentax.

Chris

03-24-2008, 04:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

The Ricoh XR-2s is a poor man's K2DMD, it has identical control and view finder layout to the KX, but as opposed to the fabric, mechanically times horizontal shutter, which tops out at 1/1000 and has 1/60 flash sync, the XR-2s has a metal blade, electronically controlled vertical shutter, with 1/2000 and 1/125 flash sync. It also supported Apature priority automatic mode with center weighted metering. The Ricoh bodies had a nice feature, a diagonal split image, much better than horizontal. The XR-2s also supports a 2.2 fps motor winder which I also have. These 2 made a great pairing, since they were identical to operate.

My PZ-1 however is light years ahead of these full manual bodies. It has a 3 FPS built in motor winder, TTL flash, spot metering along with matrix metering, is a full AF body, but unlike the multititude of compatc 35mm SLRs that pentax made, this is a full sized ALL metal frame with reienforced polycarbonate body. From the controls point of view, if you like a K10D, this will be very familiar to you, right down to dual thumb wheels.

Of the 3, I would have to say the PZ-1 is the best option, and same for you. This body can function in flash mode with every lens using TTL flash, it can run all automatic modes of the crippled KAF-J mount lenses, and with the exception of HSM lenses can work every lens that pentax ever made, in auto modes, manual modes Apature priority modes, plus autofocus with an acceptable accuracy and tracking capability.....

The only problem I have with the PZ-1 is that it is so similar to a DSLR, that I instinctively look at the back of the film door waiting for the digital preview to appear after I take a shot.
As corrected by Chris, 1/1000 not 1/2000 sorry.

As to build, I agree not as well constructed as pentax cameras, especially poor power connection when heavy lenses on camera and mounted using camera tripod socket.

For the OP

They are still capable cameras and much more common than a K2DMD which is quite rare. Aside from this point, if you have the option of PZ-1p or K2DMD, unless you are purely going to collect cameras, the PZ-1p is technically a much better camera, and given your current lens line up and bodies, much more use to you.
03-24-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Both of these cameras were Pentax's top of the line at one point, so you can't go terribly wrong regardless of which you choose. My preference would be for the K2DMD, but that's because most of my lenses are manual focus. Since you're all autofocus, the PZ-1 might be a better choice for you. Lowell's right about the PZ-1 being a much more technologically advanced camera. It's going to give you a lot more options.
03-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
waiting for the PZ-1p to show up will have the chance to hopefully shot some film and get some pics up if they are any good that is

03-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

I have been on a PZ-1 hunt, but to no avail. I am no rush, but if the right deal came along, I would snatch it up.
03-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The one thing in all the tests done over the years was the absolute consistency of the exposures using the PZ-1. I was incensed over the review in a photo mag that said the Canon in the test had better exposures than the PZ-1. The test was for the matrix metering. The Canon was closer than the PZ1 - but was all over the ball park. 1/4 stop over, 1/3 stop under, 1/3 stop over. The PZ-1 exposure was 1/2 stop under at all tests but one that all the cameras failed at. I would much prefer setting the exposure compensation to +1/2 than trying to remember that if the sky is bright use -1/4, if it is cloudy with a reflection use ....
03-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I have been on a PZ-1 hunt, but to no avail. I am no rush, but if the right deal came along, I would snatch it up.
I seem to recall one in the market place this week. Go have at it!

ps
The reason I will never part with mine is because it makes the perfect film back up to my *istD and K10D. As a camera, except obviously the digital part, I would say that its performance otherwise rivals the Top end DSLRs from pentax, (i.e. *istD and K10D, and now K20D) Autofocus is acceptable and reliable, metering is excellent, has most of the same modes and functions, and, as I have aquired lenses, with the exception of my Sigma 10-20, every lens I own is fully functional on the PZ-1, and is a full frame lens.
03-26-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i got the one in the market place already man it is a heavy camera compared to the K100D. Will start shooting some pictures to just get feel of it and get them developed.
03-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
i got the one in the market place already man it is a heavy camera compared to the K100D. Will start shooting some pictures to just get feel of it and get them developed.
I guess I wasn't clear enough when I said"but unlike the multititude of compatc 35mm SLRs that pentax made, this is a full sized ALL metal frame with reienforced polycarbonate body" I should have also said translation = tank

I thought I was pretty clear, yes it may be heavier than the K100D and I make no appologies for it. I like the feel of this camera when you have a substantial lens on it, it is balanced and has a grip that I can actually hold onto.

While I love the *istD, I do find it a little small with a big lens. The K10D with its bigger size is a much better balance on a big lens and easier to hold, same with the PZ-1.
03-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
not complaining at all am sure it will feel normal in a short time and look forward to seeing how it feels with the tamron 28-75 on it. definately glad i picked it up