Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #1

Help with damaged focusing screen

Hi All, I hope you can help me.. I have a Pentax super A and it had a few minor marks on the focusing screen that I had the stupid idea to clean... I tryied with cotton and with a soft cloth but made it worse ...In an efford to clean it I read on the net that others, (with interchangable screens) removed them and washed them with distilled water and dish soap, I tryied to wash it by using a cotton moistured with distilled water and dish soap but again no luck... every time I touch it with anything it is getting worse... I know that I might ruined permanently Any advice that would help me clean it would be great... I know I cant use alcohol based liquids because it will melt the plastic.. If anyone with similar experience had tryied something that worked (materials-liquids) ??? thanx a lot.. I realy hope I can do something to make it better because now it is full of marks

08-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Doubt if cleaning in-place will improve it, and is likely to damage something else. It should be disassembled, removed and cleaned and see if it improves enough. As usual, I'd recommend sending it to Eric if you have doubts about doing it yourself. At least email him and ask his advice.
08-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As Tom said, most good camera techs should be able to disassemble and clean your screen properly. Eric might even have a replacement if yours has been damaged "in the wash".

Steve
08-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies.. I'll try to contact him for some advice.. but since I live in greece I think it is not worth the cost to send it for repair to u.s.

08-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
Do you know from wich other pentax slr's I could take out the screen and fit it to the super A ? I know the ME super shares the same screen.. Do you know any others? thank you.
08-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I managed to get one pretty clean using a couple drops of dish detergent and water wearing latex gloves and rinsing with distilled water and then don't touch it with anything. shake off the excess and use a bulb blower and let it dry. If that doesn't work maybe a broken body could b found on ebay for cheap.