Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

Remote trigger for K mount bodies w/ winder

Sooooo... I have picked up a few more Pentax bodies including an ME, ME Super, Black Super A

I have a few winders for the ME / Super Program. I want to mount a camera way up above a stage pointed directly down. I was thinking I could use a long cable release but it doesn't activate the winder.. is there any solution for this that anyone can think of. ?
Sort of has to be a K mountable body as pretty much all my lenses are K's now.. (I have lumix gear that can handle all of this easily but I want to do this with film dammmit)

Maybe a get a PZ-1 or something er other with a built in winder?? was hoping not to buy another POS film body just for this one purpose.. hmmm.. is the ME winder mod-able?

Last edited by poppaneedsanap; 08-29-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Stupicity!
08-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
How about finding this guy?
Pentax Winder ME II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

EDIT: Wow, sorry, totally missed you had the winder.... That's what I get perusing the forum while working...

Last edited by cscurrier; 08-29-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Lack of attention
08-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

These cameras can only be triggered by a mechanical action. You would need to find somebody who is into robotics to pair a servo motor with a radio receiver. That or look into a pneumatic release. I had one for my Super Program that used a 25 foot long air tube. In theory I could have used a longer air tube, but at some point the air friction in the tube will be too much.
08-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
According to the Super Program/Super A brochure that I have, it has remote accessories - both wired or infrared, that will fire the shutter and advance when used with a motor.

Here is an example of a Super ME remote setup - Pentax Super Me SE Body w Winder Me II Infrared Remote Control System w Cable | eBay

A long cable for some Pentax models - Remote Cable for Pentax 15 Ft | eBay

And way back in the day, they had this remote . . .

I don't know which would be harder to find, this Spiratone or somebody who is into robotics to pair a servo motor with a radio receiver . . .

08-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is actually a Pentax OEM replacement winder release assembly for the MESuper (and I think one for the MX as well) that is wired for a remote release.

It has a socket that accepts the pin on the long wired Pentax cable releases. I actually got two of them in a "grab bag" in the late 90's and sold them for ridiculous money (like $75) on eBay in 2004.

You might try Eric Hendrickson.
08-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
wow!!! I'm glad I asked this.. I had no idea that the winder had a socket under the switch cap!! what the hell!!!
well. that settles that. kaboooom. easy.

Thanks again you guys!!
08-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

So if you are using Winder ME II, but not Winder ME, you can pull the cover off the dial by the winder's shutter release button to expose a 3 pin socket. Into this socket you can plug the Winder ME II and Winder LW wired remote control. The cord length is about 3m.

You could also use the Remote Battery Pack for Winder LX and Winder ME II. This lets you separate the battery from the winder by about 5m and trigger the winder with a button on the Remote Battery Pack or via a mechanical cable release screwed into the Remote Battery Pack.

Last option is to try and by a copy of the Pentax Infrared Remote Control System with Infrared Remote Release Cord 3P. The receiver can sit on the hot shoe of the camer and plugs into the 3 pin socket metioned above. With the transmitter you should be able to trigger the camera via line of sight from about 60m.

Regards

Chris
08-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Geez.... And all those years with a Super Program and Winder ME II. I either read it once and promptly dismissed as outside my budget at the time, or I missed it altogether! I've sold both of those units, but my pneumatic release with its spool of air hose is still sitting in my photographic odds & ends box. A couple squeezes about a year ago shows it still works just fine.

One of my gripes about current digital cameras is that they eliminated the mechanical release. It would have literally cost only pennies to retain this on top of the current shutter release button. I have, for example, a Pentax bellows unit that is designed for a mechanical 'Y' release to simultaneously close the lens aperture and release the shutter. And a little shorty mechanical release is smaller than any electric release so it takes up almost no room in a camera bag, but avoids bumping the tripod mounted camera when you have a long lens attached.