Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #1

K1000 Lens Compatiblity

Hello,
I was thinking of picking up a K1000 for school, and using it as a basic camera for 35mm shots. I have been searching around and managed to find a K1000 plus three lenses:
28-80 mm Pentax lens
70-200mm Pentax lens
12-68mm VIVITAR extension tube (x3)
for $95. Is this a decent price?

The main problem is I am required to use a 50mm lens for all pictures to be handed in. I already have a fairly fast Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens which works well. Would this work on the K1000, it uses the Nikon F mount.

03-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Does it have to be a 50mm Prime lens? Otherwise, just set the zoom lens to 50mm. I'm going to vote 'no' on whether or not the Nikon F mount will work on the K1000.
03-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
kas

Original Poster
I am not sure if it has to be a FFL lens, Ill have to find out. I would generally prefer it to be as it would be faster. Is $95 right for the package of three lenses and the K1000? How much would a 50mm 1.8 lens go for?
03-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kas Quote
I am not sure if it has to be a FFL lens, Ill have to find out. I would generally prefer it to be as it would be faster. Is $95 right for the package of three lenses and the K1000? How much would a 50mm 1.8 lens go for?
Depending on the condition of the K1000, that sounds pretty good. They're going for $65+ on eBay, with maybe one lens included.

A couple of months ago I picked up a 50mm SMC-M 1.7 on eBay for around $65. It's one of my favorite lenses on my film camera.

03-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
kas

Original Poster
I saw the eBay auctions as well, however as I live in Canada, shipping kills the deal. The package Im looking at includes Viritar extension tubes. What exactly do these things do?
03-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #6

Auction ID 280206037830 looks like it would fit in budget.
03-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
kas

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogger Quote
Auction ID 280206037830 looks like it would fit in budget.
It would indeed, however the engraving in it kills any resell value. I only really need the K1000 for school as I would like to buy a DSLR as soon as Im done with it.

03-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
Banned

A good majority of used K1000's being sold on ebay are being sold with a 50mm (usually a 1:2.0) as it was the standard 'kit' lens at the time, if you don't need the other lenses I would just look for one of the many that are being sold with just the 50. All I can say is I would make sure you get the older Asahi Pentax model not the newer one because the newer one uses a lot of plastic parts even on some of the internals of the camera. unless of course you don't much care about keeping it. (though I think you might just end up liking it more than you might know...) :ugh:
03-25-2008, 01:20 AM   #9
Banned

as For the Nikon F used on a K mount, it looks like a no-go as the distance between the film plane and the lens mount is different. Pentax 45mm vs the F-mount 46.? nearly 47mm. I think Nikon sold a K to F adapter (or maybe still does) to use K mount lenses on an F mount camera but it uses an extra lens a bit like a teleconverter to correct the register distance and allow infinity focus. I have come across no information about an F to K adapter.
06-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi, How are you all doing. Im new to this forum, and to photography for that matter. .

So if im out of line posting in this thread just let me know. But my question relates to the Original Topic..

I own a Pentax k1000, and i just bought a lens today for a local camera shop. Its a Quantaray 70 - 300mm f4 - 5.6. Now i specifically asked the clerk if it was compatible with my K1000, since its totally manual and the lens says it has auto focus features on it.

i tried it out at the store and it seemed to fit alright but i went home and took some photos and had them developed and almost all of them were underexposed... (this could also be because im a new user and am still trying to figure this camera out) but i though i would ask your guys since you probably know more about pentax then clerk or i.

i was also looking online at the pentax website and i saw a something that mounts between the camera body and the lens, think its called a k adapter, do i need one of these?

any help would be appreciated...
07-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

For film SLRs, factoring resale value is probably meaningless unless you have a more desired body like the -X bodies, MZ-S, etc. since a K1000 or similar is probably cheap to begin with.

I literally got an SF10 with an AF280T flash, F50/1.7, and F70-210. I sold the 50 alone for twice what I paid for the entire set, kept the flash and other lens, and sold the body for 5 bucks. Film bodies are really hard to flog off.
07-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello,
I was thinking of picking up a K1000 for school, and using it as a basic camera for 35mm shots. I have been searching around and managed to find a K1000 plus three lenses:
28-80 mm Pentax lens
70-200mm Pentax lens
12-68mm VIVITAR extension tube (x3)
for $95. Is this a decent price?

The main problem is I am required to use a 50mm lens for all pictures to be handed in. I already have a fairly fast Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens which works well. Would this work on the K1000, it uses the Nikon F mount.
for the price it is not bad, and the extension tubes have a good value all thier own.,

in a later thread you say you are in canada, where exactly?

In toronto there is a store (international Camera on the Queensway in Etobicoke) that has several 50mm F1.4's and F2.0's plus some other k mount stuff.
07-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 2ipper Quote
i tried it out at the store and it seemed to fit alright but i went home and took some photos and had them developed and almost all of them were underexposed... (this could also be because im a new user and am still trying to figure this camera out) but i though i would ask your guys since you probably know more about pentax then clerk or i.
Since you said the pics were underexposed, try this. Shoot one at the exposure the meter tells you, overexpose by 1 f-stop and by 2 f-stops. In other words, if the meter says 1/125 a f whatever, shoot a second at 1/250 and another at 1/500. Do all this on a bright day and then try an exposure using the "Sunny f16 rule" and see what comes out best. All in all, it probably wouldn't hurt to have the camera CLA'd by Eric. (CLA=Cleaned, Lubed, Adjusted)

QuoteOriginally posted by 2ipper Quote
i was also looking online at the pentax website and i saw a something that mounts between the camera body and the lens, think its called a k adapter, do i need one of these?
No, the adapter you are talking about is to allow the older M42 screwmount lenses to be used on K mount cameras. Your K1000 is a K mount. By the way, if you don't have a manual for your camera, go here. Pentax Manuals The password is Pentax.

CW
07-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #14

I saw the eBay auctions as well, however as I live in Canada, shipping kills the deal. The package Im looking at includes Viritar extension tubes. What exactly do these things do?
The extension tubes allow you to mount the lens further away from the film plane. This allows you to focus on objects closer to the camera, effectively giving macro capabilities to any standard lens.
07-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Since you said the pics were underexposed, try this. Shoot one at the exposure the meter tells you, overexpose by 1 f-stop and by 2 f-stops. In other words, if the meter says 1/125 a f whatever, shoot a second at 1/250 and another at 1/500. Do all this on a bright day and then try an exposure using the "Sunny f16 rule" and see what comes out best. All in all, it probably wouldn't hurt to have the camera CLA'd by Eric. (CLA=Cleaned, Lubed, Adjusted)

No, the adapter you are talking about is to allow the older M42 screwmount lenses to be used on K mount cameras. Your K1000 is a K mount. By the way, if you don't have a manual for your camera, go here. Pentax Manuals The password is Pentax.

CW
thanks a lot for this info. yeah i think the problem is actually my light meter. not the lens. but yea i will definitely check out that user manual and i think it does need a CLR... thanks again for this info