Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyone use A35-105 lens with RH-B 70mm lens hood with filter on film?

I put this in the film forum because anyone in the crop crowd will be clueless since almost anything works on those. I have a Pentax A35-105 F3.5 that I use for film stuff with a yellow filter and occasionally for color with a standard haze filter. I want a hood for this lens but anything I can find that fits the 67mm filter size causes vignetting at 35mm focal length in full frame even without a filter, though I do have a collapsible one that works good on the DSLR.
I haven't wanted to waste film experimenting too much after I found the vignetting on the wide end pics so I don't know if its too narrow on the filter end of the hood (too slow of a taper) or on the outer end (not enough taper overall). I know the screw on rubber genuine Pentax hood for my A24-50 tapers almost flat at first before curving out so I am suspecting my current hood wouldn't work even if I hack the outer edges off to shorten it.

I see Pentax has an impossible to find RH-B 70mm rubber press on hood for this lens which should work fine for it, but I am curious how filters work with that hood since I am only used to screw on hoods.

As a more general question are Pentax hoods normally designed to work with at least a single filter and no vignetting? Does the hood normally go on first and then the filter in the hood's external threads or can I put the filter on first if the filter has external threads.

BTW if anyone has an RH-B 70mm Pentax hood I would like to buy it.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 09-09-2013 at 10:32 AM.
10-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I put this in the film forum because anyone in the crop crowd will be clueless since almost anything works on those. I have a Pentax A35-105 F3.5 that I use for film stuff with a yellow filter and occasionally for color with a standard haze filter. I want a hood for this lens but anything I can find that fits the 67mm filter size causes vignetting at 35mm focal length in full frame even without a filter, though I do have a collapsible one that works good on the DSLR.
I haven't wanted to waste film experimenting too much after I found the vignetting on the wide end pics so I don't know if its too narrow on the filter end of the hood (too slow of a taper) or on the outer end (not enough taper overall). I know the screw on rubber genuine Pentax hood for my A24-50 tapers almost flat at first before curving out so I am suspecting my current hood wouldn't work even if I hack the outer edges off to shorten it.

I see Pentax has an impossible to find RH-B 70mm rubber press on hood for this lens which should work fine for it, but I am curious how filters work with that hood since I am only used to screw on hoods.

As a more general question are Pentax hoods normally designed to work with at least a single filter and no vignetting? Does the hood normally go on first and then the filter in the hood's external threads or can I put the filter on first if the filter has external threads.

BTW if anyone has an RH-B 70mm Pentax hood I would like to buy it.
I use my A35-105/3.5 with the push-on RH-B 70mm rubber hood and filters on a film camera with no issues. This hood "pushes" on over the filter/lens and collapses when not in use.

Yes any K/M/A lenses that I have can accommodate a filter and hood without vignetting. Polarizers are excluded.

Most K/M/A lenses use clip-on hoods that can be attached to the lens with or without a filter. The ones that are screw-in would screw into the filter or lens itself. There are a couple zooms that have a step-up ring /hood combo. So the step-up ring screws into the lens, then you screw in the filter, then the lens hood.

Phil.