Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

SP2 - Mirror return problem - Help pls!

I've just received a nice Spotmatic 2, in nice condition but with an issue: the mirror sometimes stays up after shutter release. I've tried to figure out if there is a pattern or rhyme behind the occurrences, but so far no luck. A professional refurbishing is probably economically not viable, so is there anything I can do?

Any help gratefully appreciated!

09-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Some SLRs have a foam cushion that the mirror hits when it's operated. Over time the foam degenerates and becomes sticky. Not sure if the SP2 has this foam cushion, but worth a look. If it does, and it's sticky, then you can buy the light seals, cushion , etc as a kit on eBay.
09-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Some SLRs have a foam cushion that the mirror hits when it's operated. Over time the foam degenerates and becomes sticky. Not sure if the SP2 has this foam cushion, but worth a look. If it does, and it's sticky, then you can buy the light seals, cushion , etc as a kit on eBay.
That may well be it John. It seems to have no foam cushioning at all, despite appearances. It is flush with the back metal!

Any tips for me to repair this please?

Thanks so much for that!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG PL210, PL211 / VLUU PL210, PL21  Photo 
09-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, you can buy the kits on eBay and diy - the kits will include the foam buffer, light seals, etc, (I've done one or two; messy, fiddly, but actually easy and straightforward), or there are a few companies that will over-haul the body for you.

I haven't used any of these companies, but they seem to be recommended over on the UK forum;

Alan Marlow CAMERA REPAIRS, LENS REPAIRS in WEST LONDON , SURREY , TW17 , TW18

Asahi Photo Pentax Camera Repair

Harrow Technical Pentax Camera Repair

and of course the UK Pentax authorised repairers Johnson's Photopia Welcome to Johnsons Photopia

With regard to JP, if you join Pentax User UK (costs around £10 I believe), you can claim 20% discount on repairs!

09-10-2013, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may not be the foam. The cure may lie in the easy removal of the base plate. Now have a look here.

Last edited by arnold; 09-10-2013 at 08:51 PM.
09-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote
That may well be it John. It seems to have no foam cushioning at all, despite appearances. It is flush with the back metal!

I have written many times on how one can replace the foam oneself. You may find it under SLR discussions. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/233539-light-seals.html

Last edited by arnold; 09-10-2013 at 07:28 PM.
09-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote

Thanks so much for that!
As noted above, kits are available and cheap. I once heard that Jon Goodman (foam kit purveyor extraordinaire here in the U.S.) has a guy in the U.K. that distributes his goods. They are the best and strangely enough, also the least expensive.

Steve
09-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
It may not be the foam. The cure may lie in the easy removal of the base plate. Now have a look here.

http://youtu.be/IeohRhatMsE
Unbelievable! the power of the Internet. Whether or not this is a permanent solution I don't know - what I do know is that 24 hours after that simple 'fix' it's still fixed. Any idea whether this really is a long term fix? Thank you so much for sharing!

Thanks to everyone regarding Jon Goodman - what a teriffic chap! The camera needs new seals & now I'm pretty sure it is worth it!

09-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Déblocage miroir Pentax Spotmatic f - YouTube
Excellent!! Do you know of any more repair tips for the Spotmatic?
09-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Excellent!! Do you know of any more repair tips for the Spotmatic?
If you have to use a little solvent, be careful not to get it onto the shutter tapes, as it can loosen the glue on them. I use a toothpick dipped into what I am using, and that ensures not too much gets in the wrong places.
10-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

http://youtu.be/IeohRhatMsE
Fantastic! This is exactly what's happening with my SPII. What type of lubricant or solvent do you recommend here? Thanks!
10-18-2013, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Fantastic! This is exactly what's happening with my SPII. What type of lubricant or solvent do you recommend here? Thanks!
Lighter fluid is usually recommended, also known as Naptha I think. In my case I had a non-oily oil that is meant for fine machinery, called LPS 1. I spray a bit into a cap, and dip a toothpick into that. I was surprised that it worked, and touched the toothpick to all the cogs I could see. Fluids run, so be very careful it doesn't flow down the spindle attached to the curtains.
10-18-2013, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

Lighter fluid is great for flush to clean out the old lubricant.

I have used Tri-Flow with a toothpick with good success. The carrier solvent evaporates quickly and the residual teflon-ized oil has little tendency to migrate.

Steve
10-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks guys - will give it a try this weekend.