Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Silly film question on my MX

Hey guys,

Preface this by saying I'm a film n00b

Had my MX for a while, but have yet to get anything developed on it. I accidentally destroyed my first roll of film by not pushing the button while winding up my completed roll (my bad :P)

After playing with some other toys, I recently tried again. Probably had a roll in it for a few months, and slowly filled it up. I was expecting my film number to stop advancing after 24, however, I kept taking some shots and it kept going to 36 (I didn't try and advance it past 36). Since it was in there for a while, i figured maybe I forgot I bought a 36 exposure roll instead of a 24. HOWEVER, when I removed my film (after reading the instructions this time ), I saw it was a 24 exposure roll of film!

SO, my question is, what happened? Is this normal? Shouldn't my film have stopped advancing? The film roll appears to be fine. Should I try developing it and see what happens?

09-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You took no pictures...

Unfortunately (everyone has done it), the film failed to fully engage the transport mechanism. It is important, when you load the film, to confirm that both the top and bottom sprocket holes are engaged by the sprocket drive cogs before you close the film door.

Steve

QuoteOriginally posted by Codazzle Quote
Hey guys,

Preface this by saying I'm a film n00b

Had my MX for a while, but have yet to get anything developed on it. I accidentally destroyed my first roll of film by not pushing the button while winding up my completed roll (my bad :P)

After playing with some other toys, I recently tried again. Probably had a roll in it for a few months, and slowly filled it up. I was expecting my film number to stop advancing after 24, however, I kept taking some shots and it kept going to 36 (I didn't try and advance it past 36). Since it was in there for a while, i figured maybe I forgot I bought a 36 exposure roll instead of a 24. HOWEVER, when I removed my film (after reading the instructions this time ), I saw it was a 24 exposure roll of film!

SO, my question is, what happened? Is this normal? Shouldn't my film have stopped advancing? The film roll appears to be fine. Should I try developing it and see what happens?
09-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As above. When you first put a roll in and you get to frame count 0 or 1, you need to rewind the film back and check there's tension on rewind crank. If there's tension, don't try to force it again. Just keep taking photos. If it spools back into canister, try to reload the film again. Don't try to spool the leader back in, you will feel change in tension. So like I said, don't go crazy on the crank and try to feel for changes in tension...
09-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same happened to me a while ago with an Me Super, very annoying. It can be hard to notice too, even though the film may not be fully engaged on the sprockets it may still provide tension when winding so you don't neccesarily feel it.

09-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As above, it didn't wind on.

I tend to do a few shots with the back open to make sure that it's engaged top and bottom sprockets fully.
It means that I lose the first few shots on a roll, but I'm willing to give up ~3 shots at the start of a roll if it means I get the other 21 (rather than 24 lovely black frames)
09-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If the film is engaged you'll see the winder knob turning when you advance each frame. It's important to check this for the first few shots.
09-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The magic needle film take up spool first incorporated into the MX was intended to be a quick/sure loading method but perhaps the manual could have done a better job of stating to insert at least a half inch worth of film into it when loading. Of course the manual also does state to look at the rewind knob to see that it does turn when advancing the film to confirm proper loading of the film. I too have been guilty of not confirming proper loading of film but to my defense my failed loading happened with a Nikon F3 with a flash attached to it which covers the film rewind knob . . .

09-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The punch line is in the text on page 8 of the ME manual, and page 10 of the MX manual
"....until both top and bottom sprockets engage in the film perforations. Close the back...

Now, I don't know if film is a bit stiffer these days.
Sometimes I notice that when the tang is engaged, and one revolution is done, the film springs out and does not engage the bottom sprocket.
If that is not corrected, the tang may disengage when the load comes on.
So it is sometimes necessary to push the film in to engage the teeth with a finger while doing a partial revolution.
Anyway you must see the top and bottom teeth engaged in the film before closing the door.
You can do an extra advance without losing the #1 frame
09-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm glad they were consistent and that I was the problem

I took a look at the film I loaded yesterday, and it was NOT engaged properly haha.

After reading this topic, I took the advice of hks_kansei and probably wasted more than 3 frames, BUT, my film is engaged and winding now.