Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #1

Pentax MX viewfinder problem

Hello, I just received my camera through ebay and the shutter speed in the viewfinder is off by -2 stops. My question is, will this affect my exposures, or is it just a minor detail that has no bearing on the final out come? The mirror that swings out of the way also has a few pieces of foam on it, how would I go about cleaning this?

09-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My MX has the same problem. The dial in the view finder has slipped a little. The dial on top will shot the correct speed. Just meter to what exposes correctly and our good the go. As the the foam, try a blower.
09-13-2013, 03:52 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by AjTapis Quote
The mirror that swings out of the way also has a few pieces of foam on it, how would I go about cleaning this?
That's a good indication that the mirror bumper needs to be replaced. Most likely the light seals do too.

Sometimes the foam deteriorates into a sticky substance and may not blow off. I have no recommendations at this point as the mirror is a first surface mirror and quite delicate. Care must be taken not to scratch or even remove the mirror coating. A lens cleaning solution and a foam swab very gently applied might do the trick.

If you are in the US you might consider sending the body to Eric for a CLA.

The MX service manual is available on-line. It should tell you how to adjust shutter speed indicator
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/mx_sm.pdf

Last edited by Not a Number; 09-13-2013 at 03:58 AM.
09-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AjTapis Quote
Hello, I just received my camera through ebay and the shutter speed in the viewfinder is off by -2 stops. My question is, will this affect my exposures, or is it just a minor detail that has no bearing on the final out come? The mirror that swings out of the way also has a few pieces of foam on it, how would I go about cleaning this?
Please don't post questions in the article section. Moved!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: