Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #1

Some PZ-1p/Z1-p questions

Dear all,

1. Did anyone know if PZ-1p/Z1-p eyecup can be change or not? I believe the original eyecup that come with this camera is Eyecup FD and I hate it. I would like to know whether Pentax produce optional accessories for this. Is any of you had tried to replace the eyecup?

2. Can PZ-1p auto bracket up to 5 reading/setting? I know it can fire more than 3 consecutively, but can we set each shot i.e. bracket it (-1, -0.3, 0, +0.3, +1)? I know we can do interval shooting but I believe we can't set it manually for each shot. Can someone clarify this? I don't have the manual and I can only find PZ-1 manual online.

Thanks in advance!

09-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1. Yep, the eyecup comes off. The only other Pentax eyecup I know of is the Magnifier Fb, but I am sure there are other aftermarket ones.

2. No - as far as I know it will only auto-bracket three shots, +/- 4EV. Obviously it's easy to bracket manually.
09-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
rob1234 has it right. I will say that with my PZ-1p, I really do need the manual for a number of things like the various custom settings and others.
09-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Whilst I'd agree you need the manual for the PF functions etc, I find the majority of the controls incredibly intuitive.

I suppose I have been using it for the best part of 20 years now though (sounds crazy to say that!)...

09-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
1. Yep, the eyecup comes off. The only other Pentax eyecup I know of is the Magnifier Fb, but I am sure there are other aftermarket ones.

2. No - as far as I know it will only auto-bracket three shots, +/- 4EV. Obviously it's easy to bracket manually.
Thanks for your answer. Now I need to find the generic eyecup, maybe from ebay.

As for bracketing, ISO is fix, if i change the shutter speed won't the aperture change too to compensate?
09-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Not in Manual mode, or dial in manual exposure compensation.
09-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It will only do a 3 stop bracket, but you can shift the 'middle' point by using auto-bracketing with exposure compensation (the top plate LCD 'number-line' shows the effect of them combined) so you can do +0, +0.3, +0.6 (or +0, +0.5, +1.0) if you wish. Set the auto-bracketing mode which displays the exposures on the LCD, then shift them all one way or the other with the exposure compensation (the exposure mode determines whether the aperture or shutter speed is modified). Most of the time you can guess which way you need to bracket anyway.

IIRC the PZ-1 & PZ-1p are almost identical apart from the 'panorama' switch (which masks off the top and bottom of the frame), the drive speeds might be slightly different but that's all.

09-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
Whilst I'd agree you need the manual for the PF functions etc, I find the majority of the controls incredibly intuitive.

I suppose I have been using it for the best part of 20 years now though (sounds crazy to say that!)...
Me too, one of the reasons why I bought my K-5 was because it works the same as my Z-1 (even though the K-5 manual doesn't necessarily make it obvious how intuitive it really is). The guy in the shop spent 10 minutes extolling the virtues of Hyper-Program on the K-5 only for me to tell him I'd been using it for 20yrs...

John.