Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
That adapter ring is impossible to find now - much rarer than the camera. I picked up a copy off eBay machined from plastic, which works but floats free instead of locking on the lens, and has no flange.
Tom - I think I got one from the same guy for my M37 50 3.5 Asahiflex lens. Works pretty well - though it isn't as secure as the one above for sure!

10-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zardozo Quote
Any idea how many of the M42 bodies were made for the IIA?
No thanks. And I suspect the M42 Asahiflexes are personal conversion projects. I.e. they're not official Asahi models. I can also make my IIA into a IIA with M42 mount in less than five minutes, using the front part of a later Pentax. Just four screws and you're done.
10-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
No thanks. And I suspect the M42 Asahiflexes are personal conversion projects. I.e. they're not official Asahi models. I can also make my IIA into a IIA with M42 mount in less than five minutes, using the front part of a later Pentax. Just four screws and you're done.
Ah! I had never thought of that - so it is an exact swap from let's say an S1 - I'm guessing the whole box on the front? I see now that the early ones had seemingly identical fronts and screws

I had read they made a few M42 ones, but who knows if that info was based on seeing exactly what you described - the only thing is that this one came from someone in Canada, and had the original sales receipt , which included the body and lens, but no mention of an adapter. It also seems odd that someone with no other M42 lenses (I asked) would have gone to the bother of swapping the front to accommodate M42 lenses.

Not challenging you at all, as I have read and enjoyed many of your posts in the past, just really intrigued by the mystery.

Below is the original receipt - not too cheap (about 1000 dollars today). The date of May 1957 might support the idea of crossover, as that was the month the Pentaprism was introduced, and a month after production ended of the IIa, I believe. It would have been fairly easy for them to have slapped on that front at the factory, no?
Attached Images

Last edited by zardozo; 10-01-2013 at 01:27 PM.
05-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to wake up this old thread but,

In Danilo Cecchis book about Asahi Pentax he writes on page 37 that the Asahiflex underwent a few subsequent changes during the second half of the 1950's. And then he mentions that some were made with the m42x1 screw mount.

I then don't think someone would change the house to adapt it.

05-14-2015, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #20
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

The Asahiflex M37 to M42 Adaptor

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What you're seeing there on the back of the 58mm f/2.4 is the original Asahiflex M37 to M42 adapter.
I had an Asahiflex at one time (a model IIA, I think), along with a couple of lenses (58/2.4 and 135/3.5), as well as an M37 to M42 adaptor. (Plus an Asahiflex "Bellowsunit" and a set of four Asahiflex extension tubes, but I digress...) Here's how the adaptor, plus an M42 to K adaptor, helped mount the Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58/2.4 to an LX body:

Last edited by fwcetus; 05-14-2015 at 08:37 PM.