Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #151
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
thats quite beautiful, and I want that 55 really bad, really bad. but if im not mistaken the 'K' wasn't introduced until 1958 or possibly 1959? it was shown at photokina in 58, that I know for sure. the original 'Asahi Pentax' pr otherwise known as the 'AP' was introduced in 1957.

I'm assuming you are talking about the "zebra" version of the 55. I finally got a auto-tak 55 f1.8 but its not the "zebra." I've been foaming over the '57. You are correct about this being the K and not the AP. Either way, its a damn nice body!

06-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I'm assuming you are talking about the "zebra" version of the 55. I finally got a auto-tak 55 f1.8 but its not the "zebra." I've been foaming over the '57. You are correct about this being the K and not the AP. Either way, its a damn nice body!
Thanks for the info....I'll have to read up more on it. I can't wait to get it.....hopefully it'll be in as good shape as it looks in the pics.
06-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #153
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Thanks for the info....I'll have to read up more on it. I can't wait to get it.....hopefully it'll be in as good shape as it looks in the pics.
A K and a 'zebra' 55mm isn't a bad setup at all.
06-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #154
Veteran Member

thats quite beautiful, and I want that 55 really bad, really bad. but if im not mistaken the 'K' wasn't introduced until 1958 or possibly 1959? it was shown at photokina in 58, that I know for sure. the original 'Asahi Pentax' pr otherwise known as the 'AP' was introduced in 1957.
The "K" was introduced in 1958. It was the third in line after the Original "AP," but was the first with a "kicker" that allows the camera to operate the aperture pin to stop down the lens. Here's some reading for you: Cameras of my collection - the Original Asahi-Pentax

The model between the "AP" and "K" is the "S." That is the rarest of the production models with less than 4900 ever made. It is not mentioned on the web page above, except in the production numbers at the very end.

I'd go with the "K" as my favorite - it certainly is the most beautiful of the early cameras - but for some reason my heart really belongs to the "AP."

woof

06-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #155
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
The "K" was introduced in 1958. It was the third in line after the Original "AP," but was the first with a "kicker" that allows the camera to operate the aperture pin to stop down the lens. Here's some reading for you: Cameras of my collection - the Original Asahi-Pentax

The model between the "AP" and "K" is the "S." That is the rarest of the production models with less than 4900 ever made. It is not mentioned on the web page above, except in the production numbers at the very end.

I'd go with the "K" as my favorite - it certainly is the most beautiful of the early cameras - but for some reason my heart really belongs to the "AP."

woof
im currently in the process of acquiring an 'AP' myself, though not in as good of a shape as that K (im jeleous) with the Gaussian type 55mm 2,2 which I believe is a bit rare in itself, but gosh, that zebra stripe 55, is probably the one lens I want above all others, and of course to help complete my 55m 1,8 collection
06-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #156
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I seriously need to close my Paypal and ebay accounts.
06-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #157
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
you and me both.....
06-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #158
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote

...I want a dedicated scanner that is hi resolution/quality, do you know of any that are reliable and quick?
I do know, but you might not like the answer. I just bought a Coolscan 5000 ED new from Adorama. It is fast, reliable, and quick and produces very high quality scans. It is also very expensive, even used. Here is my short list that I compiled prior to purchase (in order):
  • Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED (buy new)
  • Plustek 7600ai (not available yet in N. America) (buy new)
  • Plustek 7500ai (buy new)
  • Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 II (buy used)
  • Nikon Coolscan V (buy used)
  • Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV (buy used)

This is not the thread to go into great detail regarding +/- of each, but here is a good link to some reviews:
Test reports film scanner: Reviews, experiences, comparison, overview: Nikon, reflecta, Plustek, Canon, Microtek, Quato, Umax
The German versions tend to be a little more informative.

Steve

06-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I do know, but you might not like the answer. I just bought a Coolscan 5000 ED new from Adorama. It is fast, reliable, and quick and produces very high quality scans. It is also very expensive, even used. Here is my short list that I compiled prior to purchase (in order):
  • Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED (buy new)
  • Plustek 7600ai (not available yet in N. America) (buy new)
  • Plustek 7500ai (buy new)
  • Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 II (buy used)
  • Nikon Coolscan V (buy used)
  • Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV (buy used)

This is not the thread to go into great detail regarding +/- of each, but here is a good link to some reviews:
Test reports film scanner: Reviews, experiences, comparison, overview: Nikon, reflecta, Plustek, Canon, Microtek, Quato, Umax
The German versions tend to be a little more informative.

Steve
I cannot comment on the Coolscan as it was outside of my price range. I also read that LED light was not the best for B&W which might or might not make any visible difference compared to other factors.

I have a Plustek 7500i with SilverFast Ai Studio (with the IT8 target). I also have a Minolta Dual Scan IV.

Here are my comments regarding negatives:
-iSRD on the Plustek is hit and miss so it is not such a critical factor for me
-higher resolution on the P does not really make a difference for screen and 8*11 prints
-Contrary to public wisdom I hate SilverFast and use VueScan instead
-I like the automatic feed on the M

So when considering all that I will likely sell the 7500i with Silverfast Ai and keep the Minolta with Vuescan.

Good luck finding a scanner
06-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #160
Veteran Member

im currently in the process of acquiring an 'AP' myself, though not in as good of a shape as that K (im jeleous) with the Gaussian type 55mm 2,2 which I believe is a bit rare in itself, but gosh, that zebra stripe 55, is probably the one lens I want above all others, and of course to help complete my 55m 1,8 collection
Séamuis - the 55 2.2 is rare in the sense that it was one of the standard preset lenses for the "AP" and by the time the "K" came along was obsolete... the "K" having ushered in the era of the "Auto" Takumars. Consequently, there really are not that many copies. We might posit the notion that there cannot be much more than the production numbers of perhaps the "AP" and "S" models. It simply would not have made sense to produce more lenses than that. I have never seen confirmation of this, though i continue to look.

That said, there are rarer lenses. Two other lenses, the 58mm f/2 and 58mm f/2.4 were also standard lenses and are far rarer.

Perhaps the rarest of the rare for the AP/S period is the 55mm f/1.8 PRESET lens which is the precursor for the "K" Zebra 55mm f/1.8. I have never even seen one of these, and frankly, until I have that one I won't feel my collection of 55's is complete. Just to drive the collector completely nuts, please note that the 1.8/55 was also available in all black...

Here's the collateral on these lenses... scroll done to (Preset) Takumar Lenses in M42 (1957-1962). http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_e.html

I would also note that a collection of Pentax/Takumar 55's will not be complete without the very rare 55mm f/1.9 made specifically for Sears and their line of "Tower" badged Pentaxes.

woof!

Last edited by woof; 06-06-2009 at 12:36 PM.
06-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #161
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote

Anyway, here is a quick and dirty chart on all the m42 standard lenses.

http://www.aohc.it/tak03e.htm

as well as operation info

http://www.aohc.it/tak00e.htm

Last edited by Blue; 06-06-2009 at 12:14 PM.
06-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

Anyway, here is a quick and dirty chart on all the m42 standard lenses.

Tak Standard

as well as operation info

Screwmounts
You guys are not helping...."S"..."AP"......and now another set of lenses to search for..... Joking aside...thanks for the links! Now I just need to know the best b&w film to pick up for my first set of pics.....
06-06-2009, 11:56 PM   #163
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi folks,
Just wanted to post some pictures I made with my new to me ME-F and Tokina 17mm lens. I love this combo. Reminds me of my 10-20mm Sigma on my DSLR's.

Film used was 99 cents film.

My son Jumping

Venice beach canals.
06-07-2009, 06:44 AM   #164
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Séamuis - the 55 2.2 is rare in the sense that it was one of the standard preset lenses for the "AP" and by the time the "K" came along was obsolete... the "K" having ushered in the era of the "Auto" Takumars. Consequently, there really are not that many copies. We might posit the notion that there cannot be much more than the production numbers of perhaps the "AP" and "S" models. It simply would not have made sense to produce more lenses than that. I have never seen confirmation of this, though i continue to look.

That said, there are rarer lenses. Two other lenses, the 58mm f/2 and 58mm f/2.4 were also standard lenses and are far rarer.

Perhaps the rarest of the rare for the AP/S period is the 55mm f/1.8 PRESET lens which is the precursor for the "K" Zebra 55mm f/1.8. I have never even seen one of these, and frankly, until I have that one I won't feel my collection of 55's is complete. Just to drive the collector completely nuts, please note that the 1.8/55 was also available in all black...

Here's the collateral on these lenses... scroll done to (Preset) Takumar Lenses in M42 (1957-1962). Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

I would also note that a collection of Pentax/Takumar 55's will not be complete without the very rare 55mm f/1.9 made specifically for Sears and their line of "Tower" badged Pentaxes.

woof!

thank you so much for making me a 55 collector and them showing me that it will be near impossible to complete such a collection. if you cant find a lens I will need a miracle to find such a lens. I have never even heard of the 55 1,9!
06-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #165
Site Supporter

Javier, That lens and ME F setup isn't working for you. Better overnight it to me!