Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #196
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Like one in chrome and one in black?
Not keen on Black..though I recently sold a mint A-1 with winder and 1.4 that was sweet. I've alwas wanted an MX..though I really like spot metering..which it lacks.

My fav is the Mamiya DTL 1000 I got in '78 and have used and abused and never got it to fail...ever. It is heavy as an F-3,simple as pie and you get spot or avg meter. I have 3 and a DSX 1000...the open aperture metering update.

I quite like the Chinon CR-6,a K mount that runs on 4 AAA Nimh's, has spot meter,manual,multi-exposure,and does full manual,Ap priority and 2 prog modes without needing "A" lenses. With my favorite Pentax 100mm Macro (K) it's sweet.

I rather like the Minolta X 370,X700 series. I have a Novoflex auto bellows and Novoflexar 100 4.0 bellows lens and before I sell it off I gotta shoot a roll.

Have...for now...an F-3 Nikon, a bit of history but not that easy to manage, got an FG-20 last week...think I'll like it.

06-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #197
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevbike Quote
The ME-Super is a great camera. It is like light weight of the body and the fact that without a battery, it still works.
I've been reading this information about the MX (on Bojidar Dimitrov's site) and wondering if the ME Super can do it too. I guess the only thing you lose, when the batteries are down, is the light meter? Can you give some more insight, please?

The only film camera I own is the MZ-7. It has lots of features, but the viewfinder sucks - it's terrible trying to MF. The 0.97 magnification & 95% coverage on the ME Super must be really great.
06-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The ME Super will only work at 1/100 shutter speed without a battery, and no meter.

The MX will work at all shutter speeds, but without the meter.

The Viewfinder in the MEs and the MX are two of the best on any SLR camera. They are big, bright and easy to look through. The MEs has a fixed focus screen, the MX has a changable focus screen.
06-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #199
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MeFirstO Quote
I've been reading this information about the MX (on Bojidar Dimitrov's site) and wondering if the ME Super can do it too. I guess the only thing you lose, when the batteries are down, is the light meter? Can you give some more insight, please?

The only film camera I own is the MZ-7. It has lots of features, but the viewfinder sucks - it's terrible trying to MF. The 0.97 magnification & 95% coverage on the ME Super must be really great.
The ME Super is more like a SuperProgram than an MX. Even though the MX is in the M series, it is really a different animal.

06-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #200
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The ME Super will only work at 1/100 shutter speed without a battery, and no meter.
Thanks for the info. I guess working only with 1/100 might be a bit tricky - you cannot always change the apperture and / or ISO as you like.

...So I should actually look for a MX, not a ME Super?
06-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #201
graphicgr8s

K1000. early vintage though. Not the newer chinese crap
06-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #202
Site Supporter

Here's my favorite old film camera (K-mount anyway).

06-27-2009, 01:18 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why are you looking for a camera to use without batteries? Just always carry spares.
06-27-2009, 03:11 AM   #204
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Why are you looking for a camera to use without batteries? Just always carry spares.
yes that's a good solution, to plan for the unpredictable. i had a situation when i was in the middle of nowhere, and the battery of my mz-7 let me down. they are not plain AA type but CR2, so couldn't find any, so i lost two days of shooting.

now, of course i could plan for these situations, but in my mind i developed a desire for not-depending-on-batteries.

however, i heard ppl praising their MXs for being strong enough for even the harshest use / environment. while i don't intend going to siberia or sahara any soon, i still go in the (remote romanian) mountains sometimes and i really need a dependable camera, which the mz-7 doesn't seem to be.

Last edited by MeFirstO; 06-27-2009 at 03:12 AM. Reason: typo
06-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took two KX’s to Antarctica in February. When the temperature fell below -10C all the digital shooters started having battery issues. No issues with the KX, they just kept on ticking!
06-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I took two KX’s to Antarctica in February. When the temperature fell below -10C all the digital shooters started having battery issues. No issues with the KX, they just kept on ticking!
Talking of temperature, how sensitive are negative or slide films into the camera. I am not talking about leaving the camera on the dashboard of your car in summer but going to the beach,........

Cheers,

Luc
06-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #207
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Talking of temperature, how sensitive are negative or slide films into the camera. I am not talking about leaving the camera on the dashboard of your car in summer but going to the beach,........

Cheers,

Luc
They are fine going to the beach. The biggest concern going to the beach whether its film or digital is the salt air and the body.
06-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #208
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Awesome! I love hearing stuff like this.
06-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #209

Photos: Albums
Vivitar 70-210 Screw mount

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What is the serial number on the Vivitar zoom? Some of these are considered to be classics and are highly desirable...
Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography

Steve
Sorry for the delay in responding. Been off the forum for a bit.
The serial# is:22530295. It has 67mm filter threads, f:3.5, screw threads. If I am lookin at Marks chart right, have version I. This lens condition looks near perfect to me.

With adapters I mounted it to the Olympus E-500 and am amazed at the performance, jusging by 3 or 4 quick hand-held shots. The macro on 4/3 mount reaches close to 1/1. (By a quick eye-balling).

Any information or comments are appreciated.

Steve N
06-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #210
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote
Sorry for the delay in responding. Been off the forum for a bit.
The serial# is:22530295. It has 67mm filter threads, f:3.5, screw threads. If I am lookin at Marks chart right, have version I. This lens condition looks near perfect to me.

With adapters I mounted it to the Olympus E-500 and am amazed at the performance, jusging by 3 or 4 quick hand-held shots. The macro on 4/3 mount reaches close to 1/1. (By a quick eye-balling).

Any information or comments are appreciated.

Steve N
The Kiron-made version 1 is a nice lens and a great performer well worth keeping. You made a great deal!

Steve