Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Favorite Older Film Camera?

A couple of weeks ago, I had a chance to use a Pentax ME for an afternoon. I have to say, I really enjoyed that little camera. So much so that I have since bought myself an ME Super.

Can't wait to take it out!

My first experiance with an SLR was with my Dad's Spotmatic. Abosolutly love those old Takumar lenses. Then I spent some time with a K1000. Great camera, even if it is a little rough arround the edges. So simple to use.

If you could only own one Film SLR, what would it be? The flagship LX, or the clasic Spotmatic. What about the "Micro M's" MX, ME and ME Super? Or do you like the heavier, "built like tank" K series? The K2, KX, KM, and K1000. What have I missed? Would you trade your K2 for an MX? How about vis versa? What if money was no object. What if you're on a students budget? How about you users of other K-mount camers, What model is your must have camera?

Personally, right now, I would go with the K1000 to be my one and only film camera. But I am developing a strong crush on my ME Super. Don't tell the K1000, it shares the same bag with the new ME super!

Eric.

03-28-2008, 01:53 AM   #2

I have owned and used most Pentax cameras from the original Spotmatic through to the (p)Zip and of all the cameras, I still enjoy using the Spotmatic the most. My uses back then was landscape and sports photography and the Spotmatic was an extension of my self.

Bob
03-28-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'll second Bob's nomination of the Spotmatic. I love mine!
03-28-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
Inactive Account

ME/ME Supers. Compact and fast. And cheap.

Chicks dig 'em with an f1.2 50mm on the front.

03-28-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I love my K2, and i love that it is heavy hehe don't know why, but with it I don't have any "motion blur" where with my K10D I do get them sometime.. I won't trade it for MX, I would get MX tho just because that I heard it is fully mechanical, where K2 only do 1/1000, 1/125 and B ( but K2 has aperture-priority). But I am holding a piece of history here. It just looks great and works well, also allow you take your time where in Digital camera I take raw and AF, take pic and go go go .. what a rush
03-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My favorite older film camera in general is my 1953 Mamiya Six Model V. Folding medium format rangefinder with choice of 6x6 or 6x4.5 shooting. The unusual focus system (the film plane moves back-and-forth, while the lens stays still) ensures film plane flatness.

My favorite older film SLR (you asked two different questions, you know) is rapidly becoming the Pentax ME I picked up last week. I've only gotten one roll back from it so far, and about half of the shots are ones that my not-camera-savvy wife took with it. In addition to being friendly to smaller hands, it's simple layout and aperture-priority auto-exposure makes it a snap for even beginners to use with very little instruction. For out-and-out kewlness, though, it is my Pentax SV.

One of my first shots from the ME:

03-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by seamuis Quote
I love my k1000, I love my superA. Im getting ready to purchase an MX, as well as a super program. I almost purchased an AP K (pre spotmatic) how can I choose one?
Just FYI, the SuperProgram is the same as the SuperA, just made for the US. I really enjoyed mine until it died.

I'm swapping an SF1n (and a bit of cash!) for an MX next week.

03-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Inactive Account

At the moment my favorite old Pentax Film camera is a 1957 Pentax Asahi AP. I also love and use a Spotmatic and Spotmatic F. Did I mention the S, K, H2, H1, and H3 and SV? All screwmounts. The Spotmatic "F" has been called a K1000 with screwmount.

woof!
03-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Spotmatic II

Best purchase ever. Downside is I need to send it to Mark Hama to get the shutter to work properly, and I'm having a dickens of a time finding a proper battery.
03-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Right now I'm enthused about my latest two - a Certo SuperSport Dolly from before the war that I just converted to a pinhole camera, and a Fujica ST605 that I have an infatuation with (over my Spotmatic SP1000, mainly due to the spottie's shutter getting draggy in the cold).

My favorite Pentax is the SuperProgram, it's got a nice balance of features, reliability, good viewfinder, etc. Plus it and my two fave Pentax lenses for film, the 28/2.8 A and the 43 ltd, seem made for each other.
03-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
Best purchase ever. Downside is I need to send it to Mark Hama to get the shutter to work properly, and I'm having a dickens of a time finding a proper battery.
For starters, read this:

OK1000 Pentax Blog: Spotmatic Mercury Battery Replacements

This should get you on track. Your Spotmatic II falls under the category of ... "For all the other Spotmatics." In other words, the Spotmatic "F" is a different animal.

Best,

woof!
03-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'll have to say the Pentax KX is my favorite body. It has done everything I've asked it to do and has not had one single problem yet. But after playing with the LX for a while I must say it's not far behind, some smal things annoy me and therefor the second place.

//Jimfear
03-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 3 favorite older style film bodies:

1. LX
2. LX
3. LX

My 3 favorite newer model film bodies:

1. MZ-S
2. MZ-S
3. P-Z1P
03-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some great cameras. Kind of makes you wonder if any of the digital cameras used today will last more then a few years.

These old cameras really have sole. I am starting to feel the beginings of a camera buying addiction...

Then again, its cheaper then owning a vintage british car!

Eric.
03-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Then again, its cheaper then owning a vintage british car!
You are correct. I can attest to that first-hand. I own a 1972 MG Midget. Restored beautifully in Mallard Green, a deep forest green that was only available that year.

woof!