Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter

spotmatic - surprise, light meter issue

so I got given a spotmatic sp recently by an old friends father. Its a beautiful old camera, in great condition. And at some stage its definitely had a cla. New light seals, new focus screen. Very tidy looking. But the meter appears to be dead.
tried replacing the battery, no luck. When I move the switch. It pushes the plate forward and stops down lenses as it should. But there doesn't appear to be any movement with the meter. Its sitting halfway between correct exposure. And the +. Tried the battery test trick and nothing. Cleaned the contacts, spun the shutter speed dial to clean out the 'dust' that may have built up and.... Nothing still.

I have the service manual, before I start playing with it, I want to know if anyone has any ideas? I know its probably easier to get a handheld meter, but its become a mission of mine to try fix! Haha

10-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turn the battery the other way? The positive pole (+) should be facing inward.

Steve
10-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Take the bottom plate out and check whether corrosion has gotten the wires desoldered from the battery compartment
If that is not the case, you maybe up for a lot of dissassembling
10-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

How it looks without bottom plate

10-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
looks like they are still attached. at least.... the negative one that i can see.

bugger.

and yes the positive pole is facing inward, definitely not the battery. sigh.

so....what would be the next course of action you would suggest?

Last edited by pixelvandal; 10-03-2013 at 02:30 PM.
10-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's all clean and in good shape.... that goes beyond my ability unfortunately
The only thing I could try is using a multimeter and checking if the circuit is closing when you flip the lightmeter switch.
10-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check your settings and location, too. The meter is an older one and if you test it indoors the light levels may be beyond it's range. Try it outside in full sunlight and see if it works.
10-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
well tested it with a multimeter. Between the point of contact for the positive, which it the metal tab, and the body, which I assume is the negative. And when I flick the switch its not closing the circuit. So do I need to attack the switch? Does anyone know anyone in Australia who repairs old cameras?

10-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I checked last night and when the circuit is engaged (switch on) the resistance moved just a little bit... not very much
I agree, you need someone with knowledge to look at it