Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Solaris would be the hardest film to replicate. Since the tones shift depending on the brightness/exposure. It's one of the least accurate films, but I like it for the nostalgic summer feel. I really like the way it renders reds, yellows and bronze colours. I wish it was available in 120 when they restart production.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not really.

Some times you can come close using available pre-sets with some films (usually the ones that are not too subtle), but for most, the answer is no, no, no.

That being said, I have had some luck with emulating the not so subtle Ferrania Solaris:

The challenge is the grain and the channel-specific tonal transitions.

Steve

10-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Solaris would be the hardest film to replicate.
It is easier than Velvia!

I thought I did a pretty good job of replicating Solaris, but it is definitely a bear, particularly with the white balance. With the film, if you get the whites right, everything else is screwy. Get the reds right and, you guessed it, everything else is screwy.

This is so hard to replicate in PP!

Steve
10-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many reasons to use film but I won't list all of them. But the biggest is I cannot yet buy a digital SV or Leica IIIc. Once you have handled and used those cameras it is just impossible to go back to the plastic and all the little, bitty buttons.
10-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #64
Inactive Account

Because I want to experience all the joys of learning photography without skipping the biggest step (IMVHO) in the evolution of the art. I only got serious about Pentax SLR 6 years ago and have so much to catch up. This despite having underused my K1000 for the last 30 years!

10-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just encountered this again this past weekend while out taking pics but I love being asked why I still use a film camera , , ,
10-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Because there is no digital version of this (none that I could afford anyway):

10-22-2013, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #67

Because I have a full frame Pentax with an ultra wide lens that's smaller, lighter and more tactile than my k-x. Also because I have to slow down and think which I hope makes me take better photos. Also, it's fun!

10-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Film is fun and exciting...
But...
The main reason why I went back using film (35mm format) and my old Pentax film SLR again is that Pentax doesn't have a full frame DSLR...
I love narrow DoF, a 50mm is 50mm, and I love large view finder...
Yes, there's the FF Nikon, Canon, and Sony, but I want to invest in just one system and just using one mount, the K-mount...
Yes, there's the Pentax 645D, but come on, it's too much from what I want and need and also too expensive...
I both love and hate film... Why? Like I've said earlier, it's fun and exciting, and you really value every clicks and frames. But I also hate it because it's expensive (like you have to spend $ for every frame, film developing), hard to find/order good films, and time consuming...

Cheers! =)

Last edited by richard balonglong; 10-22-2013 at 08:52 PM.
10-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #69

I love the warmth, look, and 'feel' that film gives my photos. I like how highlights aren't so easily blown out with film, and that there's detail within the noise of even 'noisy' high ASA film. The noise is more organic and pleasant, too. I like that I tend to shoot as though I'm trying to get my money's worth from a roll of film - I don't just start rapid-firing in hope that I'll get a good shot. My hit/miss ratio is considerably better with film. I love the raw experience of shooting film with a manual focus SLR - it is very tactile and makes me feel like I am one with the equipment. The best part about shooting film (in my eyes, anyway), is getting the results back in the mail...sometimes weeks after I have sent it off for processing. It's like Christmas every time. I grew to love photography shooting film and would not have my DSLRs today if it weren't for film.