Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Das Boot's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sparkle City, South Cackalacky
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 689
Older Film Camera???

I got back into photography a couple of years ago when I bought a K1000 on eBay. I used it a lot and eventually picked up a K110d. Now I have a K10d, the K110d, (2)K1000's, about 20 lenses, and an old TLR camera (of course not pentax). What I would like to know is - I'm looking for an older pentax film camera that can give me mirror lockup, DOF Preview and is K mount. I enjoy shooting landscape and night photography and that's it. What's a good fit? I've looked at the mx-m/zx-m and wonder if they have mirror lock up. Can anyone give me an opinion???

... Oh yeah, I've tried to buy film lenses knowing I would like to shoot film too, but I did break down and buy the DA 10mm-17mm, will this work on film (I know about the vignetteing - I was just wondering about the lens/camera communication and physically)

Thanks-
Brian

03-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,281
QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
I got back into photography a couple of years ago when I bought a K1000 on eBay. I used it a lot and eventually picked up a K110d. Now I have a K10d, the K110d, (2)K1000's, about 20 lenses, and an old TLR camera (of course not pentax). What I would like to know is - I'm looking for an older pentax film camera that can give me mirror lockup, DOF Preview and is K mount. I enjoy shooting landscape and night photography and that's it. What's a good fit? I've looked at the mx-m/zx-m and wonder if they have mirror lock up. Can anyone give me an opinion???

... Oh yeah, I've tried to buy film lenses knowing I would like to shoot film too, but I did break down and buy the DA 10mm-17mm, will this work on film (I know about the vignetteing - I was just wondering about the lens/camera communication and physically)

Thanks-
Brian
I like my MZ-S. It has the 2 second mirror lockup on the self timer, will autofocus AF lenses, uses any exposure option available with the given lens, and knows what stop a K mount or M lens is set to. It also has the dof preview just like the K10D. I do have to adjust a bit to get used to a different position for the shutter release, it's lower, where the front edial is.
03-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member
KungPOW's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,702
How about the K2. Same series as the K1000, but with all the features.

I don't have one, but I want one!
03-29-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
I second the MZ-S I don't own one but it has all the features you asked about, including being able to communicate with your DA lens. The K2 has all those features but will definitely not communicate with the DA because it comes from the same generation of cameras as your loved K1000's

03-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,342
QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
I got back into photography a couple of years ago when I bought a K1000 on eBay. I used it a lot and eventually picked up a K110d. Now I have a K10d, the K110d, (2)K1000's, about 20 lenses, and an old TLR camera (of course not pentax). What I would like to know is - I'm looking for an older pentax film camera that can give me mirror lockup, DOF Preview and is K mount. I enjoy shooting landscape and night photography and that's it. What's a good fit? I've looked at the mx-m/zx-m and wonder if they have mirror lock up. Can anyone give me an opinion???

... Oh yeah, I've tried to buy film lenses knowing I would like to shoot film too, but I did break down and buy the DA 10mm-17mm, will this work on film (I know about the vignetteing - I was just wondering about the lens/camera communication and physically)

Thanks-
Brian
Try a Kx

it does all that, has matched needle metering, and a apature periscope in hte viewfinder
03-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,281
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Try a Kx

it does all that, has matched needle metering, and a apature periscope in hte viewfinder
The KX cannot use a lens without an aperture ring. That eliminates all FA-J and DA lenses. Other than that, the KX is a great camera. I had one, and stupidly let it go.
03-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,342
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The KX cannot use a lens without an aperture ring. That eliminates all FA-J and DA lenses. Other than that, the KX is a great camera. I had one, and stupidly let it go.
I took the liberty of assuming old really meant old.

If you want to add the FA-J and DA lenses, then my standard answer is a PZ-1. I liken it to a film version of a K10D.

I own them both (KX and PZ-1) and have no intention of letting either go too far.
04-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Das Boot's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sparkle City, South Cackalacky
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 689
Original Poster
Sorry for getting back so late, but thanks for all the info. I decided on the KX. Actually I bought 2 (by mistake). My wife and I are going on a trip to Baltimore/Philadelphia in about a week and I can't wait to use it. She's going to be stuck in conferences and I'll be free to roam most of the day(s) ;-) Thanks again!!

Brian

04-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,906
KX will not die

QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
Sorry for getting back so late, but thanks for all the info. I decided on the KX. Actually I bought 2 (by mistake). My wife and I are going on a trip to Baltimore/Philadelphia in about a week and I can't wait to use it. She's going to be stuck in conferences and I'll be free to roam most of the day(s) ;-) Thanks again!!

Brian
You are going to love those cameras. If you don't, PM me - I could always use another one or two.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, film, k110d, lenses, mirror, pentax, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using a DAL series lens on older SF10 film camera. stevbike Pentax Film SLR Discussion 10 04-15-2011 05:44 AM
What to look for when buying older used film camera's? r0ckstarr Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 10-17-2009 02:16 PM
Favorite Older Film Camera? KungPOW Pentax Film SLR Discussion 241 08-24-2009 09:04 AM
favourite film camera and other film cameras? k100d Pentax Film SLR Discussion 54 03-25-2009 09:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top