Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why not go with what started the SLR (DSLR) craze.....the Asahi Pentax? Nikon and Canon have done a very good job in copying the idea. I'd have one in black if I could ever find one. Anyone want to swap a black S for a black AP?

10-11-2013, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Of course the original Asahi Pentax and the LX has to be on the list . . .

10-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #33
Pentaxian

You're missing the first electronic camera...the ES (Electro Spotmatic- maybe wrong on the name) and the ES 11. I have a black bodied ES 11. Also...the ES 11 is the last of the M 42 screw mounts.
10-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #34
Veteran Member

LX and MX. I have to say, I'm not much of a collector. If I don't use it, it will go. As such I will be selling LX since I use the MX a lot more. I like the small size and I usually take it with my 43mm lens along with my hasselblad. All the heavier stuff stays home. I also like the bigger viewfinder.

10-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For years my must have camera was the LX. I already had an MX so it was kind of hard to justify getting one even though I shoot digital 99% of the time now I still kind of miss the feel of a finely made film advance.

Tom g
10-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Old cameras, old sewing machines

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
For years my must have camera was the LX. I already had an MX so it was kind of hard to justify getting one even though I shoot digital 99% of the time now I still kind of miss the feel of a finely made film advance.

Tom g
There is something satisfying about using a finely crafted machine. The metal heft of the LX, the feel of minimalist design, that all is purposeful and frills are absent gives me a tactile pleasure that my K5 cannot, regardless of its many virtues. In like fashion my wife has an old Bernini sewing machine. Swiss made, all metal, sleek and simple. It is perhaps 30 years old, and given reasonable care and occasional maintenance, should last another 30 years. How many of today's "plastic fantastics," be they sewing machines or cameras, will be anything more than expensive paperweights in 30 years?
10-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know I'm just starting out, but honestly, to me, there are no must-have bodies. But there are must-have lenses.

Especially with film cameras, the must have is the one you enjoy taking pictures with. Because, at the end of the day, the picture comes from the lens and the film. The camera's job is just "to get out of the way", literally

I believe most Pentax cameras from the 70s and early 80s would make any film photographer happy.

10-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I know I'm just starting out, but honestly, to me, there are no must-have bodies. But there are must-have lenses.

Especially with film cameras, the must have is the one you enjoy taking pictures with. Because, at the end of the day, the picture comes from the lens and the film. The camera's job is just "to get out of the way", literally

I believe most Pentax cameras from the 70s and early 80s would make any film photographer happy.
No doubt strictly from the camera as a tool perspective. But even from that perspective, you have to consider that only the Pentax LX can do what it can such as the ability to aperture priority autoexpose a scene for as long as it takes or batteries die. I have brought this up before and it was pointed out that the perhaps an off camera light meter would work. Granted it would be an inconvenience not to have TTL metering. However, it seems that none of the light meters presented have the LX's single exposure range of EV -6.5 to EV +20 nor can they predict the changes in scene lighting that the LX monitors in realtime - making adjustments accordingly. So it is a tool that provides you a photographic opportunity that is not available in any camera - any brand, past or present.

Of course there is no other Pentax with changeable VF, precise frame accurate advance and rewind and other features.

So it is a tool that can provide you some unique photographic opportunities but only if you use them.

Myself, I also happen to enjoy the historical development perspective and sheer delight of finely crafted tools . . .
10-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote

Of course there is no other Pentax with changeable VF
10-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I meant to edit it to say, "there is no other 35mm Pentax with changeable VF" but I won't now that you pointed that out . . .
10-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #41
Pentaxian

And of course in the manual focus world, viewfinder and focusing screen options can be important and there is no other make or model that offered the options available to the LX.

10-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is surely a subjective answer.

My list of Pentax "Must Have's" was so long that fifteen years ago I resolved to "Must Try" each of them for a while. eBay and the Marketplace have made that possible - I'm now down to "sure, I'll try that" cameras. For some silly reason black paint mattrered.

These are the ones from my original list that were the most satisfying: K, SV, SP-F, K2DMD, K2, KX, MX, LX, MZ-S. As you can see I run counter to trend. For the most part I found the M bodies small and fussy, and I like the K bodies better. The ASA ring on the K2's never bothered me. I have little use for the K1000 - I much prefer the KM and KX. The MZ-S is my current new toy and I'm having fun using my F and FA lenses with it.

Bold are the ones I MUST KEEP. That, of course, suggests the next thread - "Must Have" Pentax Lenses, because they're differeny for each camera.

Colton: Don't take me there. I'm not even going to look at that

Last edited by monochrome; 10-28-2013 at 02:45 PM.
10-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
No doubt strictly from the camera as a tool perspective. But even from that perspective, you have to consider that only the Pentax LX can do what it can such as the ability to aperture priority autoexpose a scene for as long as it takes or batteries die. I have brought this up before and it was pointed out that the perhaps an off camera light meter would work. Granted it would be an inconvenience not to have TTL metering. However, it seems that none of the light meters presented have the LX's single exposure range of EV -6.5 to EV +20 nor can they predict the changes in scene lighting that the LX monitors in realtime - making adjustments accordingly. So it is a tool that provides you a photographic opportunity that is not available in any camera - any brand, past or present.

Of course there is no other Pentax with changeable VF, precise frame accurate advance and rewind and other features.

So it is a tool that can provide you some unique photographic opportunities but only if you use them.

Myself, I also happen to enjoy the historical development perspective and sheer delight of finely crafted tools . . .
The LX metering system is unparalleled. I've shot fireworks displays, adjusting the aperture only to give a reasonable length of exposure, and only for the first shot. All subsequent shots were excellent. Shoot by moonlight? Really easy, the only worry might be when the shutter will close. Scudding clouds occluding the moon make no difference.

Macro photography is aided by the TTL system. Compose, focus, raise the mirror and wait until the flower stops moving in the wind, or until the favorable light returns. No worry about adjusting the exposure, the LX does it. What DSLR can do this?

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have such a system on the next Pentax DSLRs?