Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Mysteryous mark on focusing screen?

I use an old Praktica MTL 5B SLR camera, and today I noticed a mark on my focusing screen. Its like a half round between the edge of the sensor and the focus circle. I used the camera yesterday and this was not there at that time. Its like some of those rounds become greyer than the others. Its on the inner side(furder from the mirror) of the screen. And it seems that only the color of a few lines turned to darker than before. I have no idea what it is. I shot a few photo of it, the quality is not the best, but i thint you shoud see what i talk about. What can cause this? What can i do with it except from taking it to a professional?
K
K
And sorry about my english.

10-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is strange, why such a thing would happen. Perhaps you just didn't note it before? At any rate, unless it really bothers you, this doesn't affect anything so I would just leave it as is.
10-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks quite normal to me: cameras of that vintage used a fresnel lens instead of a thicker condenser lens, usually over the outer portion of the screen (you see a series of fine concentric lines in the right lighting), with plain ground-glass area inside that region around the "focusing aid" split-image or microprism. The line looks like the innermost circle of the fresnel area. You see the same thing on my 1958 Original Pentax and 1960 Nikon F, depending on the scene and lighting conditions. Sometimes you notice it, sometimes not. And sometimes attempting to clean the screen leaves a slight residue caught in the fresnel edge, making a part of it more obvious.
Don't worry about it - it just proves the camera used "advanced 1950s optical technology"!