Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I somehow doubt that Casablanca was shot with Tri-X.
I know. Would've been Kodak film, though. Any Agfa junkies might wanna check out Leni Riefenstahl's work, though...

I think Darren Aronofsky's Pi was shot on Tri-X. 16mm Tri-X. Pushed two stops. So it's grainier than a wheat silo.

And for all the Velvia nuts out there, What Dreams May Come was shot on Velvia, which is why Cuba Gooding Jr looks like he was made from some sort of rich, Belgian chocolate containing not less than 55% coccoa butter, and Robin Williams looks like a lobster.

Dammit, now I'm hungry.

04-14-2008, 02:46 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Tri-X costs me seven bucks a roll, whereas Kodak TMAX 400 (a film I never really liked - the tones look muddy as hell) costs about eleven.
I saw these prices and did a double take. You are paying about 2X what you should for Tri-X. Check out prices at Freestyle. Link
04-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Yeah. Read my location again.
04-15-2008, 03:27 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Yeah. Read my location again.
Poor Aussies. I am going to fill a few suitcases with lenses and cameras and film and go to the Land Down Under and sell them at cost. Just because I sympathize with your location ... and I'd love to see Australia! Maybe if you got together with a few friends and split the shipping it would be cheaper than paying double per roll.

04-16-2008, 04:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lithos, check if any film maker has leftovers of 35mm TriX or Double X and offer to buy those
In the US those could be purchased for cheap....
04-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Thanks, but I've heard bad news from those shooting cinematic films for still photography.
04-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

*lithos thinks of a joke he should've put in his first post*

Casablanca!

Dammit.

Ahem.

My favourite "box fast" film has gotta be Fuji Neopan 1600 - the Neopans are all great films. I'd rather push Neopan or Ilford Delta 400 or Tri-X before I'd lower myself to use TMAX 3200 or fork out for Ilford Delta 3200:

Must disagree here.
I have made many sales of band shots using Tmax and Delta 3200.

Dave

04-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Favourite C41 colour: Kodak Portra 160NC and 400NC - amazing skin tones, soft and subtle landscapes.

Favourite E6: Kodak E100VS - great detail, fantastic colour with amazing pop, especially blues and yellows. I like it better than the revered Fuji Velvia 50, and it's a stop faster...snip.
Same here for color; for B&W, I still favor good ol' Tri-X. Marvelously flexible, and I've printed thousands of technical photos with it professionally.
04-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Must disagree here.
I have made many sales of band shots using Tmax and Delta 3200.

Dave

TMAX is far more blue-sensitive than Tri-X, which is why I don't like it. Skin tones look muddy; actually, tones in general look muddy on TMAX. Probably could be corrected out with, say, a yellow filter, but you're gonna be losing a lot of light.

Just because you've sold some shots with it doesn't really mean I have to like it. Lotsa people use TMAX, lotsa pros, but I'd rather a film with more character like Ilford Delta, Neopan or Tri-X.

I did buy about seven rolls of TMAX 3200 and shoot them; not one shot did I like! And they were all through a Contax G2 with the 45mm Planar, so I don't think the camera was at fault. The only reason I bought the film was because it was out of date by a week, and the camera store sells those at half price.
04-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Color film I suppose
Cine TriX or XX is the same as still photography.
Years ago I got a couple of 36 exp of cinematic Tri-X from an APUG fellow for testing and was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks, but I've heard bad news from those shooting cinematic films for still photography.
TMZ (3200) is not so bad if developed correctly. It lacks the punch of TriX/HP5 but gives nice grainy results.
04-24-2008, 09:17 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Kodak 400VC - unbelievable fine grain

I pretty much hated kodak, their papers and films. the other day though, thought i'd try their primo porta 400vc - just incredible results - with a fineness of grain i've never seen in a 400 film. doesn't saturate caucasian skin tone, but all others get a subtle boost.

get it pro developed - and check some other reviews.

here's a simple example of what i mean, 11am in the shade at the park.
Attached Images

04-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #27
VPT

For BW, I love Ilford film especially Ilford Delta 100.
For color, I usually Kodak UC 100 and Fuji Velvia 50. Fuji Velvia 50 is the best slide film in my opinion.
05-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #28

For black and white, I loved Tri X, which I used a lot of during my darkroom-oriented Photo I class last semester, but when dealing with films that I can get developed anywhere, seeing as I'm not usually in a situation where I can develop my own film, I'm pretty much stuck with Illford XP2 Super, which seems to be just about the only good C-41 black and white film around.

Color-wise, I'm an omnivore. I like Fuji quite a bit, but I'm rather broke, so I tend to use whatever I can get cheap, which usually happens to be "slightly" expired Kodak stock.