Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #1

Help with a Yashica FRII

Picked up a very nice Yashica FRII for $20 today at a thrift shop. Came with a Tamron adaptall 28mm, Tamron 2X, flash, Yashica winder, etc. Anyway I just wanted to pay around with a film camera but there seems to be a problem. There is no film or battery in it now. Should I not be able to advance the film lever and fire the shutter? In the film window is a red "S" and the lever will not budge. I posted this in the non-Pentax section first but got no replies so thought maybe ya'll could help.

10-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rwingsfan Quote
Picked up a very nice Yashica FRII for $20 today at a thrift shop. Came with a Tamron adaptall 28mm, Tamron 2X, flash, Yashica winder, etc. Anyway I just wanted to pay around with a film camera but there seems to be a problem. There is no film or battery in it now. Should I not be able to advance the film lever and fire the shutter? In the film window is a red "S" and the lever will not budge. I posted this in the non-Pentax section first but got no replies so thought maybe ya'll could help.
I'm not familiar with the Yashica, but it seems to be an 'electronic' camera, meaning that you'll need batteries in to activate the shutter.

Someone with some real knowledge will be along soon, I'm sure!
10-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

"Make sure the battery is installed properly. Without the battery, the shutter system and the exposure control of Your Yashica FR 11 will not function."
Yashica FR-II free instruction manual, user manual
10-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
"Make sure the battery is installed properly. Without the battery, the shutter system and the exposure control of Your Yashica FR 11 will not function."
Yashica FR-II free instruction manual, user manual

Ahh, seems like other slr's I have had in the past would advance and the shutter would work, even without battery. I'll have to get a battery and check it out.

10-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yashica wanted to minimize camera shake with the FR series so they used a feather light electronic switch to go along with the electronically controlled shutter. I have the FR and this does seem to help in that respect. This was a collaboration between Contax (RTS) and Yashica (FR) resulting in the Contax/Yashica lens mount.
10-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by rwingsfan Quote
Ahh, seems like other slr's I have had in the past would advance and the shutter would work, even without battery. I'll have to get a battery and check it out.
The other respondents are right on the mark; I've had an FR-II for 32 years. It will not allow the film advance lever to work without the battery. Spent $60 on a CLA and new foam a few years ago for mine, should last another 20. Enjoy your new find!
10-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #7

Original Poster
Got a battery today and viola! Works like a charm.