Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are definitely in the right section, but four hours is not a very long time for the film SLR section. 24 hours and you might have a reason to complain. However, I have consulted with the technical staff and in the interest of good customer relations, we have agreed to give you a full refund for our free advice

Steve
Right. Got it.

10-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

Maybe there are small internal differences between the SPII (`71), that I have used with the CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 T (`54, 12 blades, aluminum version), the combination that is seen in my photos that you link to—and the SP500? I have read in one thread that the SPII can be used with lenses that are otherwise known to be ‘problematic‘ (see mannikons comment here: Flickr: Discussing 8 element super takumar 50mm 1.4 camera compatibility in Asahi Pentax Spotmatic)

So, if you prefer to shoot Spotmatics to later K-mount cameras, try the SPII—it works.

The adapter seen in the B&W photos of the lens alone (unmounted) is the K to M42 adapter, that I use when shooting K-mount SLR or DSLR cameras (ME Super, LX, *ist DS2, K7)

Regards
10-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
Site Supporter

..I´ll ad, the rear part of my lens protrudes about 4.4mm from the mount thread and maybe the version, that you have protrudes slightly more?
10-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
Forum Member

I have a version of that lens as well, it was the standard "kit" lens for the Praktica FX (whose mirror it obviously clears without problems). It is however incompatible even with later Praktica-series. Works like a charm on APS-c and has a very beautiful rendering.

10-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PLC3 Quote
I have a version of that lens as well, it was the standard "kit" lens for the Praktica FX (whose mirror it obviously clears without problems). It is however incompatible even with later Praktica-series. Works like a charm on APS-c and has a very beautiful rendering.
Yep, it sure delivers on an APS-C. I got mine with a Praktica F.X 3. What makes this early version shine to me compared to the later versions is the T coating and the 12 preset aperture blades (besides more precise control of the amount of light and depth of field in a photo, it also enables stepless transitions of the depth of field for video).

A real gem
10-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter

There's a Praktica FX 2 with a Tessar 50/2.8 on eBay with a BiN price of $999, then there's one for $20 with no bids...
10-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There's a Praktica FX 2 with a Tessar 50/2.8 on eBay with a BiN price of $999, then there's one for $20 with no bids...
hilarious! Especially since none of them have the T coating, that really makes a difference to IQ.

Here is an example taken with Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50 T on K7, straight out of the camera and no additional filters

See the full size original here: All sizes | _IGP1537 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
10-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
Site Supporter

From that current list on ebay.com this is my choice: 3043 Praktica FX Carl Zeiss Tessar 2 8 50 T Tasche | eBay

10-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jt_cph_dk Quote
Hi,

Maybe there are small internal differences between the SPII (`71), that I have used with the CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 T (`54, 12 blades, aluminum version), the combination that is seen in my photos that you link to—and the SP500? I have read in one thread that the SPII can be used with lenses that are otherwise known to be ‘problematic‘ (see mannikons comment here: Flickr: Discussing 8 element super takumar 50mm 1.4 camera compatibility in Asahi Pentax Spotmatic)

So, if you prefer to shoot Spotmatics to later K-mount cameras, try the SPII—it works.

The adapter seen in the B&W photos of the lens alone (unmounted) is the K to M42 adapter, that I use when shooting K-mount SLR or DSLR cameras (ME Super, LX, *ist DS2, K7)

Regards
I'm very glad you found this and commented! I was just trying to decide whether or not it would be okay to bother you with a PM since you had written that review and I knew you had the lens.

It doesn't have to be a Spotmatic - that just happened to be the camera that I already have that would fit the lens. I've had my K1000 for over 20 years and only recently got the Spotmatic, so I've got both screw mount and K-mount Pentax bodies, so I've been wanting an adapter anyway so I could use the three M42 lenses I got with the Spotmatic on the K1000, or on any Pentax DSLR I might eventually buy.

Is it 4.4 mm or 0.4mm? I just measured and measuring from the top of the thread to the top of the lens (with it standing "face down" on the table) then it measure 0.4mm.

I'm trying to get some pictures to load...
10-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jt_cph_dk Quote
From that current list on ebay.com this is my choice: 3043 Praktica FX Carl Zeiss Tessar 2 8 50 T Tasche | eBay
Well, if it means I have to buy myself a Praktica so I can use the lens, then I guess I'll have to make the 'sacrifice'
Oh, and it has a WLF. I love a WLF.

Here's the only picture I could manage to get off my phone so far:

One way or another, I will not let this lens just sit on my shelf!
10-30-2013, 02:21 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by limr Quote
Is it 4.4 mm or 0.4mm? I just measured and measuring from the top of the thread to the top of the lens (with it standing "face down" on the table) then it measure 0.4mm.
I used the probe of a vernier caliper to measure the length: 4.4mm

QuoteOriginally posted by limr Quote
Well, if it means I have to buy myself a Praktica so I can use the lens, then I guess I'll have to make the 'sacrifice'
The Praktica FX (models 1 to 3, different versions for diffent markets and years) would only be interesting for the sake of completing your collection. For practical use get an SPII instead, as I wrote: It works (I just tried it yesterday to be sure). Or get an adapter for your K1000. Both choices are far superior to the Prakticas in all ways except trying out the original fifties photography experience. If you do go for a Praktica, then get one with the ekstra pentaprism for eye-level shooting.

Thank´s and kind regards
10-30-2013, 03:26 AM   #27
Forum Member

Unfortunately, I don't have access to my film images at the moment, but this is what a tessar can do on a K5 (jpeg, in-camera bw-conversion)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Just for fun. Here are a couple of shots of the F.X 3 that I have: 1. with the extra eye-level pentaprism and 2. the waist-level view. Regards
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
10-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PLC3 Quote
Unfortunately, I don't have access to my film images at the moment, but this is what a tessar can do on a K5 (jpeg, in-camera bw-conversion)
Beautiful tonalities in B&W and nice composition too with the grasping leaves of contrasting shapes, curvey and straight. Nice.