Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Which Pentax film camera is equal to Nikon FM2

The Nikon FM2 was my first SLR camera and it taught me everything. I felt in love with it. However, I wonder which camera from Pentax is the rival of the FM2?

I tried to read in film camera reviews in this forum but I'm really confused. Such as, ME, MX, KX, LX, etc. they just look pretty similar, IMO. But price is different.

Could you point out for me, please?

Thanks a lot.

11-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The closest you are going to come to the FM2 is the MX. Though the MX is smaller, even smaller than the Olympus OM-1.

The MX has some limitations compared to the FM2. 1/1000s shutter vs 1/4000s. 1/60s flash sync vs 1/250s etc...

The LX is a step up in class. It was the Pentax F2 killer, but Nikon released the F3 the same year...

The ME, ME Super, and Super Program are all fine cameras, but they were made for semi-automatic or Program mode exposures. The ME Super and Super Program have M modes, but they are controlled by push button.

You might actually want to look into a Ricoh SLR like the XR-2, KR-10, or KR-5 Super II.

The Super II has a 1/2000s shutter and 1/125s flash sync.

Last edited by boriscleto; 11-03-2013 at 08:50 PM.
11-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zany225 Quote
The Nikon FM2 was my first SLR camera and it taught me everything. I felt in love with it. However, I wonder which camera from Pentax is the rival of the FM2?

I tried to read in film camera reviews in this forum but I'm really confused. Such as, ME, MX, KX, LX, etc. they just look pretty similar, IMO. But price is different.

Could you point out for me, please?

Thanks a lot.
It really depends on what characteristics of the FM2 you wish to replicate. The FM2 is a mechanical camera with LED meter display. It takes a power winder or motor drive. It can operate without batteries. The Pentax MX matches those characteristics. On the other hand, the FM2 I believe offers some dedicated flash functions, a higher maximum shuttter speed and higher flash sync speed. The MX is more compact.

If you are looking for a classic mechanical K-mount camera, in my view the most classic of all is the KX, which is more like the FM. However, the KX does not take a motor drive.

There are no exact equivalents to the FM2 in the Pentax world, so perhaps you could be more specific about what functions you consider to be important.

Edit: Obviously, boriscleto and I were thinking along similar lines at the same time! I'll second his comment about Ricoh cameras. In particular, the XR-1s is a very solid mechanical body. I bought one new in 1979, still use it occasionally.
11-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
the KX does not take a motor drive.
Yep there was a KX motor drive. I saw one today at the camera show in Vancouver. ($400.00)

Here is a photo:

KX

Phil.

11-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
I don't care about the motor drive cause I've never used it.
However, the 1/4000 shutter speed from FM2 is kinda useful. Just 1/1000 shutter speed from MX sounds a little too slow.
I like the FM2 that even I don't have battery it's still usable. Just cannot meter.
Also, I feel like the VF with the split screen is bright and super easy to focus. I'm not sure about Pentax, though.
No need for some auto-things like super fancy modes. All manual controls is just the best and most fun part of this kind of camera.
Also, it's tough and sturdy.

So, which one is the right one?

p.s. what different between KX and MX? (also, LX)

Thanks a lot!
11-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

As folks noted, there is no Pentax equivalent of the FM2, especially in shutter operation.
11-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zany225 Quote
Ip.s. what different between KX and MX? (also, LX)

Thanks a lot!
The KX was released in 1975. The body was basically an updated Spotmatic. It featured mirror lockup, a shutter speed indicator in the viewfinder, and a window that showed what aperture was set.

The MX was released in 1976. It was meant to be a high end system camera, but not as high end as an F2. It was the only fully mechanical camera in the M series. Like all the cameras in the M series emphasis was placed on size reduction.

The LX was introduced in 1980. It is a high end professional camera aimed squarely at the F series. It is a full system camera with interchangeable viewfinders, focusing screens, data and film backs, battery packs, and winders / motor drives. It is slightly larger than an MX but much smaller than a Nikon F3. It featured a mechanical shutter speed of 1/2000s, a flash sync of 1/75s and bulb. But slower shutter speeds, 1/60s to 4 seconds are controlled electronically. In automatic exposure mode, exposures range up to 125 seconds.

The LX also had the best light meter ever installed in a SLR. To quote Wikipedia

QuoteQuote:
The LX has excellent low-light performance using dynamic, off-the-film-plane TTL metering called Integrated Direct Metering (IDM). Pre-release exposure information is obtained from light reflected from a patterned shutter curtain back to the sensor. This exposure metering makes the camera excellent for available light photography. TTL flash control is also available using Pentax dedicated units.
The sensitivity range is -6.5 to 20 EV.

KX
MX
LX
11-04-2013, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Pentax didn't implement 1/4000 shutter speed until the AF body SFX/SF1 (1987) -> Pentax SFXn/SF1n - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Before then, 1/2000 was the top shutter speed and initially made available to the ME Super (1980) followed by the LX (1980), ME F (1981) and Super A/Super Program (1983). The Nikons with the 1/4000 shutter speed (FM2, FE2 & FA) became available in 1983.

Basically, the KX and MX are similar in functionality with the KX having MLU and the MX being smaller with changeable focusing screens. The ME Super and LX are the aperture priority capable bodies with the LX with much more sophisticated features - interchangeable viewfinders, TTL flash, weather seal, frame accurate forward, backward advance multiexposure, widest meter range and a hybrid shutter with 1/75 - 1/2000 available in manual if battery dies. All of these have the split image focusing screen while the MX and LX have additional user changeable types.

The FM2 - and practically all Nikon manual SLRs, have a much smaller viewfinder magnification of 0.83X compared to the KX at 0.88X, MX at 0.97X, ME Super 0.95X and LX depending on viewfinder from 0.55X to 1.35X with diopter adjustment.

11-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
All of these have the split image focusing screen
Small niggle - On KX the split image was a factory option and could be added as a dealer change. It was not a user-feasible change. Ground glass and fresnel focusing screen with microprism center spot was standard. I have one of each.
11-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Small niggle - On KX the split image was a factory option and could be added as a dealer change. It was not a user-feasible change. Ground glass and fresnel focusing screen with microprism center spot was standard. I have one of each.
My KX has the micro prism center spot. Though to be fair it is much more visible than the K1000 micro prism.
11-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
My KX has the micro prism center spot. Though to be fair it is much more visible than the K1000 micro prism.
Of the two I prefer the microprism but my right eye just won't do it any more and the wind lever meter switch is a challenge left-eye.
11-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

FWIW I went from a Nikon FM2n to a Pentax KX and never looked back.

Chris
11-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep there was a KX motor drive. I saw one today at the camera show in Vancouver. ($400.00)

Here is a photo:

KX

Phil.
the catch was that the camera had to be ordered motor drive capable. There were two models of the KX. I bought mine used, and there were no connections for the motor drive on it. My solution to getting a winder was to buy an SF-1 to replace the KX. Foolish me - I should have kept the KX. It was a robust tank. I never did like the MX.
11-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
the catch was that the camera had to be ordered motor drive capable. There were two models of the KX. I bought mine used, and there were no connections for the motor drive on it. My solution to getting a winder was to buy an SF-1 to replace the KX. Foolish me - I should have kept the KX. It was a robust tank. I never did like the MX.
Yep the KX motor drive was a different part number than the regualr KX. The K2DMD was the only K series body that was MD capabile as standard..

Phil.
11-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Which Pentax film camera is equal to Nikon FM2?

None...with the possible exception of the LX.

The shutter and build are the keys. Full-mechanical, 1/4000s max, vertical travel. Bulletproof construction. The FM2 or FM2n would be my first choice for Nikon film body.

Steve

(...I own the KX and consider the FM2 to be nicer...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-04-2013 at 01:20 PM.