Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #1

Black MX on eekbay

Eric of pentaxs.com has a "bargain" but of course fully working black MX on eekbay. Just thought someone on this forum would want to know. I don't have any relationship with pentaxs.com other than he's about to get my K2 for repair.

04-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This camera

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
Eric of pentaxs.com has a "bargain" but of course fully working black MX on eekbay. Just thought someone on this forum would want to know. I don't have any relationship with pentaxs.com other than he's about to get my K2 for repair.
From the small world department, coincidentally I happen to know this camera personally and I have used this camera technician to CLA and repair my Pentax gear for years, if anyone wants to discuss.

I have no personal or financial interest whatsoever - just want to support this forum and its members and refer a highly competent Pentax technician to anyone here who needs good work.
04-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
call me kookie.. I'd just as soon buy a day-glo orange MX and spray paint it flat black before I paid a premium for an already black camera.
04-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
Inactive Account

They made Day-Glo MXs? Where?

04-03-2008, 04:44 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
From the small world department, coincidentally I happen to know this camera personally and I have used this camera technician to CLA and repair my Pentax gear for years, if anyone wants to discuss.

I have no personal or financial interest whatsoever - just want to support this forum and its members and refer a highly competent Pentax technician to anyone here who needs good work.
How bad/good is it cosmetic wise?

I've been on the lookout for a black Mx for sometime. I was hoping to get one that was in good shape cosmetically as well as functionally, but the prices a mint condition black MX's go for on ebay are too rich for me.

If it's not too banged up and has recently had a CLA, this might be the one for me.
04-03-2008, 05:14 AM   #6
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
I purchased a Black MX in, I think, 1978. At the time, there was only a small difference in price over the Chrome MX. It was a cool looking camera as well as being a great performer.

I had the winder and bulk back with mine as I was shooting MotoX every weekend.

The ratio of Chrome to black produced was, if I recall correctly around 300:1. Which today, makes a Black MX, in good condition, a bit of a collectors item. I've noticed that the Black ones generall go for $50 - 100 more than the Chrome ones on e-bay.

I've seen some that had heavy brassing, dents and scratches bring $125 - $150 for a body only.
04-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nikuyakun Quote
How bad/good is it cosmetic wise?

I've been on the lookout for a black Mx for sometime. I was hoping to get one that was in good shape cosmetically as well as functionally, but the prices a mint condition black MX's go for on ebay are too rich for me.

If it's not too banged up and has recently had a CLA, this might be the one for me.
KEH Ugly or worse - if you need to look at it to be happy using it, you won't be happy.

04-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
call me kookie.. I'd just as soon buy a day-glo orange MX and spray paint it flat black before I paid a premium for an already black camera.
If you factor in $75 for a CLA, it's not too bad if you want a camera to actually use. Shrug. I agree it's not much to look at. But pair it up with the worse looking M 50 1.7 you can find, and it has a certain rough-and-ready appeal. Hmm, and it's black....
04-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
edl
Veteran Member

Search craigslist often, you might find one if you're lucky. I bought my black MX with a sigma zoom, hoya polarizer and a custom leather carrying case two months ago from a local guy off CL for $40.

And a few weeks ago, I found one on NYC Craigslist with M28/2.8 and Eric's CLA for $120. Should have bought that too, but I'm already overweight on LBA / CBA.

Last edited by edl; 04-07-2008 at 06:40 AM.
04-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Somebody got it at the last minute

Some lucky soul has a great pocket camera now.
04-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #11
edl
Veteran Member

Here's a nice black MX with 50/1.7 asking $130 -

Black Pentax MX

One more with a zoom lens for $125 -

Pentax MX w/lens, flash, bag
04-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #12

I paid 150 Euro's for mine last year.

It's been touched up a bit with black paint and two weeks ago the the winder lever fell off when I was a doing a few quick shots.
But... I love it. I've been shooting an average of a roll of illford every two weeks, alternating with my chrome MX which I load with color.

The dust specks and unwanted lines are of course due to my ineptitude with my scanner and photo editor.

Last edited by Barbecueboy; 04-07-2008 at 04:49 PM.
04-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #13

I also purchased my Black MX in 78, never knew the ratio was 300:1