Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LX Interest in the Forum?

I recently excavated my closet and "found" again my old LX system. Of course, the mirror sticks, but boy, it felt good in my hands again.

My question is this? Is there any real interest in the LX any more? Do you think it's worth having it serviced repaired to sell? I will never shoot film again, and I don't want to go to any trouble with it if there is no interest anymore.

I used the camera while I was in the Army and we lived in Panama and New Jersey. Loved it, but eventually went to a point and shoot as the family grew and it was increasingly difficult to carry kid stuff and camera stuff. Now I shoot a K-3.

Give me some feedback if you think it's worth repairing, or if you think I should put it on the Marketplace as is. We are trying to downsize some, and I guess I need to start somewhere. Thanks for the feedback.

11-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMHO: If you cannot be coaxed into keeping your LX, put it on the marketplace 'as-is'.
You will not recover all of the repair costs in a subsequent sale.

BTW: I really enjoy shooting with the LX ... and the SV ... and the MZ-3 ...

Last edited by Moe49; 11-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.
11-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Marketplace for LX

What kind of price would be fair? I have the original finder, Sport Finder, extra cross hair focusing screed, even the luxurious purple velvet Pentax camera body bag that came with it! The 400 T flash and bracket, that i have no idea as to whether it words.

The leatherette backing is curling up where the glue has failed at the end that opens. All this just to give an idea of the camera. External wear is light.

I am welcoming any aides, comments, suggestions. Thanks.
11-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is still plenty of interest. LX'es trade about once or twice a month on the Marketplace.

I bought here a complete kit of everything that came in the original box (EX, CLA'ed), the Everready Case (!) and the Sport Finder pair and Magni-Finder.

Eric Hendrickson can still do a CLA with 1 year warranty - he is the best Pentax tech in North America and is a member here - there's even a thread about his service! Email him for a price (+/- $250 because of the seals) - he doesn't charge for his estimates and will send your camera back PPD if you decline his price.

Prices for CLA'ed camera body w/ FA-1 Finder is between $350 and $400 depending upon cosmetic condition and included bits. The 400T is about $100 (working). FB-1/FC-1 Sport Finder pair is maybe $125 - $150. The incidentals run about $40 each on eBay.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-14-2013 at 08:19 PM.
11-14-2013, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My LX is my most used camera, even more than my K20D. It is one of the film cameras that has kept a reasonable resale value unlike many of the later whizz-bang all-singing all-dancing models (and not just Pentax). Are you really sure you don't want to shoot some film again? It's fun you know....! K.
11-14-2013, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I have a collection of about 50 cameras, all shapes sizes, and types...film, digital, rangefinders, SLRs, view cameras, mirrorless...Everything from an 8x10 field camera to a Leica M2 to old polaroids, a Sony NEX and a Pentax K-5.

The only one I have twice is the LX. The LX is the best 35mm manual focus SLR ever made.

You know you want to shoot it again.
11-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Everything I want in an SLR (especially with Pentax glass around), and one is on the way... Maybe that's an answer to the original post.

11-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have wanted one for a while now I just can not talk my wife in to letting me get one for the price they go for because its a film camera but I had one years ago and I keep kicking my self for getting rid of it. It is like the holy grail for MF film cameras.
11-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I have a collection of about 50 cameras, all shapes sizes, and types...film, digital, rangefinders, SLRs, view cameras, mirrorless...Everything from an 8x10 field camera to a Leica M2 to old polaroids, a Sony NEX and a Pentax K-5.

The only one I have twice is the LX. The LX is the best 35mm manual focus SLR ever made.

You know you want to shoot it again.
My total camera collection is also quite large and I have 3 wonderful LX cameras, everyone of them working wonderfully. I am using rangefinders quite a bit right now but when I grab a SLR It is usually my LX. It has weather seals so I do not worry about working with outdoors when the weather goes bad. It is very configurable. I can change viewfinders, change screens, add and remove grips, install winders and motor drives, and even have dates and other info printed to the film. And the metering system is second to none. It really is a professional tool, even today.

Check E-Bay and KEH to get an idea what the camera and other equipment is worth.
11-14-2013, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I have too much stuff. I really need to rationalize my equipment. By all rights I should sell the manual focus lenses, SV, KX (both of them), MESuper, MZ-S, Q's (and all the "stuff" they came with), pristine SF1n and F 2-zoom lens kit, and the LX, accessories and all the viewfinders. Then I should box up the oddball accessories and send them to KEH . . . . . and

Keep the K10D, K-01, get a K3 and a good DA zoom . Easy Peasy, right?

Except I just can't sell the LX.

Then I just can't sell the K lenses since they're all I have for the LX. Then I just can't sell the KX'es if I have the K lenses. And I have the M42 > K adapter, and there are those Takumars . . . so the SV can stay too (what a sublime camera).

And those FA and F lenses work so well on the MZ-S.

And gee, I only paid real money for the Q/06 and Q for K adapter, so WTH, why sell the Q's?

And I end up keeping everything.

All because I just can't sell the LX.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-14-2013 at 08:31 PM.
11-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fix It?

Hello Presidente,
My feeling is, it's better to have it CLA 'd. Here's why;
Going by monochrome's numbers, you could invest $250, then sell it for $350-$400. Plus the two finders, say $500 total.
So, you made $250, even without trying to sell the flash. Maybe put it towards a new DA prime?
What COULD happen is, you get the LX back, all spiffed up and working fine. What the heck, let's run a roll of B+W through it. That way I can honestly say it's fully functional when I sell it, right? What's wrong with that?
But I need a lens, the DA's don't have an aperture ring. Well, I've been wanting a fast fifty, here's an M-mount f/1.4 for less than a hundred. Perfect!
Now you're hooked (again), the fifty is fun, all-manual is a pure joy, looking at contact sheets is bliss (and having a CD scan of the negs isn't bad, either) and you buy more M's, A's and a couple other accessories.
It's all a nefarious scheme cooked up by my so-called friends on Pentax Forum!
Your pal,
Ron
11-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #12

If repair is costly, sell it and get a second hand K1000, if you can bear with the functionally minimal camera.
11-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I only have two fully functional LX's and will need one more to match Pioneers three . . .
11-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

All I'll say is if you want to get rid of it PM me. Might be an interesting sale or trade offer. (Course I only say that because
I just got word back from Eric H that mine needs a circuit board that he's unable to get. I *need* a fully functional LX!)
11-14-2013, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I only have two fully functional LX's and will need one more to match Pioneers three . . .
Works great Les. One for Velvia, one for Portra and one for Tri-X.