Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Meters And The Resurrection of a Spotmatic II

So a few months ago I pick up a Spotmatic II mostly because it had a really nice Takumar 1.4 50mm on it. When I get around to fiddling with it, the meter doesn't work so eventually I put it in for repair. Meter can't be repaired, that particular part anyway so the my camera store guy pulls out this big box of light meters. 'Pick one' he says. I don't know diddly from light meters so I fish through the box; cool GE's, nifty old meters that had a cool factor, weird ones that looked more like Mr. Spock's tricorder so I reverted to the old guy standard; I pick the one that had the largest type on the dial!

Gossen Luna-Pro sbc. With a leather case and an instruction book. Of course I do a little research...wow. He just gives me that to make up for the broken meter. Solid guy, you can bet I take most of my business there and not because of this but I'll be spending a little extra. (If he only had that DA 50mm for my potential K-5)

Now, I've been playing with that meter, actually read the book. Take a reading, set the Nikon...wow, pretty darn close. Use the Pentax DSLR. Yup, something to this meter stuff all right. I think I got the hang of it. Any tips y'all have would be appreciated tho...

Going to play with that meter tomorrow too and then Sat, I hope, is the day. Going to pop in a roll of Ilford and see what I get. Now this camera has some history; it's obviously been used but very well cared for. It has the guy's name engraved on it and a service number. To me, this speaks volumes and as a veteran myself, a service number on a camera from the 1960's could speak volumes of where its been. It's going to be cool to put some film in the old girl and see how my light metering skills are!

11-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea how to respond whatsoever, but have fun! I hope it works great.
11-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have quite a few meter-less Asahi's and Kodaks, so I too picked up a used light meter. After a bit of online research, I chose the Gossen Luna Pro F. I like it because it uses a plain ol' 9-volt battery, it's big dial, and handles both incident and reflective metering (flash too, but I have not explored that yet).

I can take my SV out shooting, loaded with Ektar 100, and not worry about metering. Less worries = more enjoyment shooting with this classic.

Last edited by Moe49; 11-23-2013 at 09:34 AM.
11-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I use a Gossen Lunasix F....a brilliant bit of kit.
Cheers, Pickles.

11-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I've got an old Gossen Luna-Pro CdS that I modified for SR44 batteries, great old meter and still accurate. Lately I've been using a Pentax Digital Spotmeter though, which is a totally different experience and very nice to use. If you ever have the chance give a 1 degree spot meter a try and learn the zone system.
11-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dubiousone Quote
Gossen Luna-Pro sbc. With a leather case and an instruction book
I also have the Luna-Pro sbc and it’s my favorite meter. I use it with my Pentax 6x7 and 67 bodies.

It also has an exposure factor dial for when you need to compensate for filters, extension tubes and so on. The fact it uses a 9volt battery is a bonus.

Enjoy!

Phil.
11-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dubiousone Quote
Gossen Luna-Pro sbc
Excellent choice! Great sensitivity and uses modern batteries.

Steve