Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #1

MZ-50 and M Lenses

Just a quick one, playing with my MZ that I have just put some batterys into - now I know the MZ-50 has a crippled KAF mount like the DSLRs but something I noticed is that it will stop down the lens to whatever the aperture is on the ring (unlike the DSLRs). The metering is as if the lens was wide open. Now if I set +3ev and set a 50mmf2 at 5.6 then take a photo - am I right in assuming that the metering should be close? Hopefully I've explained myself well enough!

tl:dr
Will +3ev exposure comp account for wide open metering at f2.0 and the lens is set to f5.6?

Ben

11-15-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it possible to stop down meter with the green button? Otherwise yes, the exposure compensation trick will work.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes I have the original MZ-50 and MZ-5 brochures here.
The MZ-50 was a cut down, lighter camera ( only 345 gram) , and only worked fully with at least A lenses in A mode.
The brochures put it like the glass was half full, not half empty:
"When the aperture ring is set to other than the A position, aperture priority at open aperture or unmetered manual are available"

The MZ-5 had full metering including metered manual for Kaf, Ka, and K mount lenses.
11-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is it possible to stop down meter with the green button? Otherwise yes, the exposure compensation trick will work.
Thanks Adam, I'll give it a go. BTW no green button on the MZ so can't do that trick. Only thing is it limits me to f5.6 on my 50mm, I guess I could manipulate ISO for additional latitude too though.

Wombat, yeah i knew it didn't meter off the aperture ring setting just trying to settle in my mind that combining exposure comp with open aperture metering would work as required.

I'm looking forward to sticking my tak 35/3.5 on the front - thats going to be very nice I think!

Ben

11-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you end up liking the manual lenses, I strongly recommend getting a film SLR that isn't crippled. The MZ-50 is an oddball in that respect. A super program would be a great, affordable choice IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah I plan on it. I've had a PZ before the MZ and it wasn't crippled, it just couldn't be manual focussed due to misalignment of the focus screen. Some MZ5's and 7's been going on ebay lately pretty cheaply, prob even look at a PZ again PZ1 isn't all that expensive really!
11-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah I'm out at a Christmas fair and it's just not working for me. The MZ50 has decided to stop focusing, the exposures are wrong, the tak 35 is reading 1/250 at 3.5 and 1/180 at f16!

By not focussing I mean its not giving the confirmation beep and my FA50 is just cycling back and forth without confirming/locking focus.

Last edited by Ben78; 11-15-2013 at 06:50 PM.