Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been banned off evilbay

11-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The K1000 is a stripped down KM. No self timer or depth of focus preview. Is it ignorance that makes the K1000 more desirable?
As a matter of fact I never understood this. And why a K1000 should be worth than a K2 and a KX as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I've been banned off evilbay
What have you done? Confess your sins on the board!
11-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
What have you done? Confess your sins on the board!
Nothing serious just bought more lenses than I needed!
11-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Nothing serious just bought more lenses than I needed!
How many, son...?

It's not that you bought 2 Zorki 4ks, 2 Zorki 6s, a Leningrad rangefinder, TWO Zenit 19,one Zenit 12, one Kiev 17, a K1000, a MX, and finally a Canon New F-1 in just three months, right?

11-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #50
Site Supporter

As a matter of fact I never understood this. And why a K1000 should be worth than a K2 and a KX as well.
Most KMs, KXs, and K2s will need a CLA, or at least new seals. My 1987 K1000 still has good seals. You need to factor that into the cost of buying a K series camera. Most M series cameras will need seals as well.
11-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I guess if you must have a K1000 I would go with the SE model, as it has the split-image focusing screen and a better ASA range.
Mine has a split view finder and a film speed of 3200 ASA, however, is is not a SE. It seems there were many versions of the camera.
11-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Most KMs, KXs, and K2s will need a CLA, or at least new seals. My 1987 K1000 still has good seals. You need to factor that into the cost of buying a K series camera. Most M series cameras will need seals as well.
But the seals of the KM/KX/K2 were the same of the K1000 or of better quality, at least this is what I should expect.

I understand that more complicated cameras like the K2 require more attention and the CLA is more expensive, but the KM is like the K1000 besides the DOF and the self timer, why should it be more prone to seal problems and conseguent CLA?
11-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #53
Site Supporter

But the seals of the KM/KX/K2 were the same of the K1000 or of better quality, at least this is what I should expect.
But most of the cameras are much older...

The K1000 was manufactured until 1997, the other Ks were only manufactured from 1975 to 1976. Both KX' that I have bought used need seals. The ME, ME Super, MV, and Super Program (1983 vintage) that I have bought all need seals. The K1000 I bought earlier this month needs seals, it's an older K1000 (777xxxx serial with bump on top plate).

My LX definitely needs a CLA, I just can't afford it right now (Too much LBA)...

11-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But most of the cameras are much older...

The K1000 was manufactured until 1997, the other Ks were only manufactured from 1975 to 1976. Both KX' that I have bought used need seals. The ME, ME Super, MV, and Super Program (1983 vintage) that I have bought all need seals. The K1000 I bought earlier this month needs seals, it's an older K1000 (777xxxx serial with bump on top plate).
That makes a lot of sense, what is the first sign that a camera needs new seals? Light on film?
11-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #55
Site Supporter

That makes a lot of sense, what is the first sign that a camera needs new seals? Light on film?
Just run you finger over it (especially the mirror bumper). If it is sticky/crumbly it needs to be replaced. It's really bad if the mirror bumper disintegrates, it gets all over the mirror and focusing screen.
11-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Look under the film SLR discussions about light seals. I have replaced some two dozen myself. Not difficult. Run a toothpick in the groove. If it is gummy, they may not leak, but they will stick to the door, and should be replaced.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/233539-light-seals.html

Last edited by arnold; 11-23-2013 at 09:47 PM.
11-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Is it ignorance that makes the K1000 more desirable?
No, I think it's a camera that appeals to the purist. The simplicity of the K1000 is what made it one of the most popular cameras ever. I've taken some of my greatest pictures with the K1000 because of this simplicity. I can focus on the composition instead of camera settings, buttons, bells, whistles, and gimmicks. I've never had to think when using the K1000 because it's so easy to use. When holding the K1000 my hands fall in place and intuition takes over. I don't need the aperture window or shutter speed displayed in the viewfinder. The meter is responsive and because I've been using the same K1000 for more than 20 years, I don't need exposure compensation; I know exactly where to place the needle and I know what the outcome will be.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I owned a K-1000, and I wouldn't own another. The ME Super is a much, much better camera.
I like my ME Super, but I only own one. I wouldn't ever want more than one. I have owned four K1000s at once and I use more than one now. There are benefits to using each, but the ease of using the K1000 has me reaching for it more often than the ME Super. The battery lasts for years in my K1000s, even with frequent use. Mine also don't show the same behavior you describe when the batteries are low, so that's too bad yours acted up. I love how visible the meter needle is, even in bright, backlit scenes. The bottom line is everyone has their preferences, and it's okay to have different ones.
11-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #58
Site Supporter

I understand that more complicated cameras like the K2 require more attention and the CLA is more expensive,
The K2 and K2DMD also suffer from a stuck ASA ring, which will add to the cost of a CLA. They also have aperture priority, exposure compensation and a metal shutter which may also increase repair costs.

Phil.
11-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #59
Pentaxian

A little light oil worked into the ring fixes that issue. A little!
11-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just run you finger over it (especially the mirror bumper). If it is sticky/crumbly it needs to be replaced. It's really bad if the mirror bumper disintegrates, it gets all over the mirror and focusing screen.
This is what's happening to my Nikon FM!

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
No, I think it's a camera that appeals to the purist. The simplicity of the K1000 is what made it one of the most popular cameras ever. I've taken some of my greatest pictures with the K1000 because of this simplicity. I can focus on the composition instead of camera settings, buttons, bells, whistles, and gimmicks. I've never had to think when using the K1000 because it's so easy to use. When holding the K1000 my hands fall in place and intuition takes over. I don't need the aperture window or shutter speed displayed in the viewfinder. The meter is responsive and because I've been using the same K1000 for more than 20 years, I don't need exposure compensation; I know exactly where to place the needle and I know what the outcome will be.
That I understand but on the other side the KM for instance is like the K1000, just with the addition of a self timer and a DOF preview, still I would consider it a simple camera that should appeal the purists.